Author Topic: DOOR SENSOR WITH NEST TO CHANGE TEMP  (Read 427 times)

Offline cocokai

DOOR SENSOR WITH NEST TO CHANGE TEMP
« on: November 12, 2016, 03:06:07 pm »
I hope someone can help me out.

I have a vacation rental home in the Cayman Islands. I have my vera and my nest all set up and working perfectly.

I keep my nest on lock with a range of 72-85. When no one is at the house we turn it all the way to 85 so the ac does not kick on unless it gets really hot inside.

I have noticed that guest will have the AC set to 72 with the patio doors open cooling the neighborhood.
I know with Vera I can have it turn the nest off if the door is left open. my concern with this is if it turns the nest off then the guest will need the password to turn the cooling cycle on again. Is that correct? If that is the case can I set it so that if the door is left open it just turns the temp to say 85. this would allow the guest to lower the temp once he closed the door with out having to have the password to switch the unit from OFF to COOL.

Offline Mike Yeager

Re: DOOR SENSOR WITH NEST TO CHANGE TEMP
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 05:54:49 pm »
I use PLEG to detect a door being left open for more than 5 minutes to change the setpoint. Once the doors are closed, it just resumes the previous program. I'm using an Ecobee3 but I'm sure the Nest is capable of the same thing...