Author Topic: Alternate method to Wake up the screen?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline treetop777

Alternate method to Wake up the screen?
« on: November 15, 2016, 10:32:17 pm »
The tablet that i have mounted on the wall keeps turning off and on when i have it to wake with the camera cause it's picking up a ceiling fan in the room (even at the lowest threshold).  I was looking for another way and came across a how-to somebody here posted that uses tasker, secure settings, motion detector and others.  However, i also saw that the imperihome site has instructions on how to use the "motion detector app" ONLY.

Has anybody tried it (motion detector only)?  does it work?  How?  I have not been able to get the screen to come back on when motion is detected.  Not sure if i have all the setting right.

Appreciate any pointers.

Offline tomgru

Re: Alternate method to Wake up the screen?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 10:14:00 am »
I use that method and works fine... just followed the setup instructions .I..nothing special.

Remember after setting it up you have to turn the motion detector on ☺

First test then is to see if its detected motion

Offline Cor

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 11:11:06 am »
Where can I find instructions for this motion detect option?

Up till now I use the autovera- tasker - secure settings- screen off   apps to switch the screen off.

Cor

Offline treetop777

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 06:43:52 pm »
I use that method and works fine... just followed the setup instructions .I..nothing special.

LOL yeah, i'm pretty sure motion detector is "on"; i even had it making a sound when it detected motion - drove me crazy!  I adjusted how often it detected motion.

What do they mean by "When in dashboard screensaver mode"?  I understood to select the desired dashboard "screensaver delay" which in my case is set to 5 min. 

I will just start over and stick to the instructions.

Thanks for your response.

Here are the instructions:   https://imperihome.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201369913?page=1#comment_206779986

Offline Cor

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 04:23:10 am »

Before I try this app; when I use the emperihome "wake up with camera option" the screen does not go completely off , it goes black , but some backlighting still remains on.
With this motion detector app , can it switch off the screen completely , and does it wake up again as well?

thanks,
Cor

Offline tomgru

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 09:36:29 am »

Before I try this app; when I use the emperihome "wake up with camera option" the screen does not go completely off , it goes black , but some backlighting still remains on.
With this motion detector app , can it switch off the screen completely , and does it wake up again as well?

thanks,
Cor

Of the two options suggested by IH, neither will turn the screen completely off.  I'm not sure about the tasker version.

Also, I seem to remember that you do NOT use the android screensavor at all.... only the IH setting for dimming the screen.

Offline Cor

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:27:09 am »
Ah , I see
Not an interesting option in that case.

Using Autovera- tasker- and a screen off app , you can completely switch off the screen.

Cor

Offline tomgru

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 12:28:25 pm »
Ah , I see
Not an interesting option in that case.

Using Autovera- tasker- and a screen off app , you can completely switch off the screen.

Cor

Is this working reliably with motion?

Offline Cor

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 03:51:02 pm »
I have it setup with a virtual switch , my tablets are alwys on , unless I go to sleep or leave my house.
Using this virtual switch -autovera - tasker- screen off work flawless.

The one thing , with the cheap chinese tablets I use , they don't wan't to wake up when they are in "sleep mode"  , somehow the wifi shuts of as well. For this I use the app "advanced wifi lock".

You can also set this up with a motion detector as trigger in vera offcourse.

Apps I use for this:
autovera
secure settings (to wake up screen)    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intangibleobject.securesettings.plugin&hl=en
advanced wifi lock: to keep the wifi always alive   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=opotech.advancedwifilockfree
screen off: to lock the screen   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.kixx.tool.offwidget
tasker (in combination with autovera)

Cor

Offline treetop777

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 09:14:37 pm »
I don't know why you'd be concerned if the screen don't turn off completely?  Don't you have the tabs charging all the time??

Offline Cor

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 05:30:57 am »
@ Treetop777:

I  like to optimize stuff , if absolutely not possible , I could life with it. Next to that , power consumption which is unnessecary. In a complete dark room , it still gives a bit of light.

3 good reasons for me to use these apps to switch the screen off.

Cor