We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Echo Skill Beta  (Read 76806 times)

Offline isamuk

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Echo Skill Beta
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2016, 11:29:10 am »
Hi Folks - I have been waiting for Vera to Echo and am glad there is progress:
Problem - I have a VeraLite fully backed up and at 1.7.855 f/w. I have tried a few times to do the upgrade using the advanced url. The link is correct as I tested for just download, but the system comes back after about 1 min with upgrade failed contact customer support. I have to then reset and the system remains at the old level 1.7.855... Any suggestions?

Offline Kalapa

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
@isamuk

am in the same boat.. my veralite is also doing same.. not able to update via linked firmware .. fails after 1 min saying call customer support ???

Any suggestions ?

Offline PeterBrown

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2016, 12:15:34 pm »
@isamuk

am in the same boat.. my veralite is also doing same.. not able to update via linked firmware .. fails after 1 min saying call customer support ???

Any suggestions ?

Call customer support?  ;D

Offline RogerO

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2016, 12:40:54 pm »
I had the same problem. Sent an email and they remotely connected and did the upgrade. They replied back in a few hours. 

Offline nickman2025

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2016, 12:58:38 pm »
I upgraded the firmware to the Beta for my Vera Plus, joined the beta, went through the whole process (including checking devices). The skill shows up in my Vera, but won't find any devices...anybody have any suggestions?

Vera Plus running firmware 1.7.2349.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 01:00:28 pm by nickman2025 »

Offline wezley69

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2016, 02:53:32 pm »
Nickman - Having the same issue.  Emailed beta support.

Offline jspaeth

Re: Echo skill beta
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2016, 03:05:19 pm »
I have moved all my vera edge devices to "no room", Alexa still gets confused when identifying a device. Alexa finds the device on discovery just fine, but when asked to change the device state, sometimes its ok, sometimes she says she sees several devices and asks for more detail on the device, and sometimes she says she can't find the device.
So I took each device and moved it into its own Alexa grouping in the Alexa app. This has worked 100% of the time. Did not change any names, moved the devices back into their original rooms in vera and all seems to be working.
So it appears that a refinement is needed with how Vera is communicating the device names to Alexa, and in turn how Alexa communicates that device back to vera. I'm assuming this is more a vera naming protocol issue since I can eliminate the problem by putting each device in its own group of the same name as the device, in the Alexa app.

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2016, 05:08:03 pm »
in addition to my previous post

I'm also on the http://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html?#smart-home

i'm not living in the US
could that have something to do with it ?

There does seem to be a problem in the UK where the skill does not discover any vera devices.  I have that problem in the UK and there is another person posting with the same experience.  I have raised it via the beta feedback email, and it may help if you could do the same.

Yup, exactly the same as me.  I'll be dropping them a beta support email about it in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2016, 05:57:33 pm »
Ill keep my eye on this topic.  For now im Happy with the other way to integrate alexa with vera.

Offline CelticWebs

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »
Ill keep my eye on this topic.  For now im Happy with the other way to integrate alexa with vera.

I'm just curious how quick the response will be, I've tried the native and the bridge, for lights I use the bridge because while it's only a second or so quicker, when you're waiting for a light to turn on, that second or so becomes very noticeable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2016, 08:29:06 pm »
I'll try to keep my official discussion on this thread so we don't all pollute the other vera bridge thread.

Just an FYI, it does in fact appear that Alexa takes a little bit of time to parse out the room names from the device names in the database. When first using the Skill, you need to say the room name before the device name "Turn on Hallway, Hall Light" instead of just "Turn on Hall Light." However after about 30 minutes it automagically distinguished room names from the device name so the latter call of just "Turn on Hall Light" works.

Even though the release notes said scenes were supported, I can't seem to figure out how to implement them. Also, when I was working through it last night, complex logic hadn't seemed to work such as "Turn off all Living Room Lights" I'll try that again tonight with some more variety in what I'm saying.

Also, this provides some fledgling IFTTT support through Alexa albeit kind of a complicated work flow. I have a Nexia-locked Thermostat (AZONE-950) that I now hope I can set up to use IFTTT connected to Alexa in order to use Home/Away from Vera via a virtual Switch to set the Home/Away mode of the thermostat. We'll see if that works

Other than that, I got a firmware upgrade implemented the first time on my Vera Edge without failed upgrades, re-configuring, restores, constant Lua Reboots, etc. I'll give that a thumbs up for now.
So are you saying that alexa vera skill starts to understand what you mean by hallway light and eventuay u no longer have to say the room name? 

Offline ALcALoIDe

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2016, 08:44:03 pm »
I was very happy seeing Alexa now understands Vera. As noobie, I just want things to work. Hope this beta becomes mainstream as soon as possible.
Vera Plus UI7 and lots of zwave devices

Offline Dpc131

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2016, 09:46:31 pm »
So are you saying that alexa vera skill starts to understand what you mean by hallway light and eventuay u no longer have to say the room name?

Yes, mine took an hour or so. You just need to make sure that your device has a unique name

Offline michaelhinchey

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2016, 10:41:48 pm »
Is that constantly speaking to alexa or just letting it sit and let time go by. ?

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:58 am »
Hello All,  anybody knows what are the supported words that we can use for lights and scenes please? is it only turn on and turn off, or we can use others?  turn on sounds lame with the scenes....