We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Echo Skill Beta  (Read 80059 times)

Offline Gary S

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Echo Skill Beta
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2016, 10:45:37 pm »
Hi everyone, has anyone been able to use the Vera modes yet? I use them more then anything so far.

Offline Dpc131

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2016, 11:30:02 pm »
Is that constantly speaking to alexa or just letting it sit and let time go by. ?

Mine just took some time, I didn't need to speak to it.

Offline patrickspc

Re: Echo skill beta Virtual ON/OFF Switches
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2016, 10:37:02 am »
This would be so much more useful if
Virtual ON/OFF Switches
Worked with Alexa

Then we could run scenes with Alexa

Offline patrickspc

Re: Echo Skill Beta Virtual ON/OFF Switches
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2016, 10:39:42 am »
Virtual ON/OFF Switches
Worked with Alexa

Then we could run scenes with Alexa!

Offline nickman2025

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2016, 11:32:02 am »
Virtual ON/OFF Switches
Worked with Alexa

Then we could run scenes with Alexa!

Go into the advanced settings of the virtual device and change device type to binary switch along with all the xml and json settings. That worked for me when I was using the previous Echo integration.

Offline wrathwielder

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2016, 12:31:58 am »
Has anybody managed to get this to work in UK yet? 

I seem to be able to add the skill, but nothing is discovered, when it adds skill it uses the .com address so I'm not sure if it's linking to my UK vera properly...

It is not working for me in the UK.  I have ticked to select the devices, enabled the skill, and run discord but Alexa does not find any of my Vera devices.

I'm in the US and I'm having the same problem you are. I've updated to the new beta 7.0.19 firmware for my VeraPlus, signed up for the Alexa/Vera beta program,  made sure each device is selected and green on the "Select the devices that Amazon Echo will have access to" screen.
The Vera skill is now on the Echo Dot, but when I have the Echo search for devices it always comes up with nothing.

Still waiting for the Alexa beta tech support folks to get back to me - I imagine they are pretty busy :)

Anyone have any other suggestions to get the Echo to find our devices?

Thanks!

-Greg

Offline Dataman100

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2016, 01:19:38 am »
I'm having a strange issue.  I go into the Echo app and tell it to "Forget" all the devices and scenes on the Vera that I'd never want to control via voice.  Everything works great.  After a few hours, everything I told it to forget is back again.  All my scenes and devices from the Vera are back in the Echo.  The issue is that some of them have similar names and Alexa gets confused when they're in there.  It looks like it does an auto discovery every few hours.  Any way to stop that?

Thanks!

Dave

Offline TonyW

« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2016, 07:04:22 am »
I'm having a strange issue.  I go into the Echo app and tell it to "Forget" all the devices and scenes on the Vera that I'd never want to control via voice.  Everything works great.  After a few hours, everything I told it to forget is back again.  All my scenes and devices from the Vera are back in the Echo.  The issue is that some of them have similar names and Alexa gets confused when they're in there.  It looks like it does an auto discovery every few hours.  Any way to stop that?

Thanks!

Dave

If you disabled those devices at the Vera end of the connection, rather than in Alexa, then I guess Alexa would not find them. 

Why not go back into the Vera config via the link in the original email beta invitation and deselect anything you don't want discovered, and see if that sorts it out?

Offline patrickspc

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2016, 09:51:44 am »
Go into the advanced settings of the virtual device and change device type to binary switch along with all the xml and json settings. That worked for me when I was using the previous Echo integration.

Hmm, no binary switch 
All I find is

D_BinaryLight1
D_BinaryLightQubino1DRelay
D_BinaryOpenClose1

Which one do I use?

Offline Dataman100

« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2016, 12:15:03 pm »

Thanks!

Dave

If you disabled those devices at the Vera end of the connection, rather than in Alexa, then I guess Alexa would not find them. 

Why not go back into the Vera config via the link in the original email beta invitation and deselect anything you don't want discovered, and see if that sorts it out?

I did that for the devices I didn't want to use, but it's mostly the scenes that are confusing Alexa.  Echo discovers all the scenes in the Vera.  There's no way to tell it not to.  Only the devices are selectable in the Beta invitation link.

Thanks!

Dave

Offline TonyW

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2016, 01:03:09 pm »
Has anybody managed to get this to work in UK yet? 

I seem to be able to add the skill, but nothing is discovered, when it adds skill it uses the .com address so I'm not sure if it's linking to my UK vera properly...

It is not working for me in the UK.  I have ticked to select the devices, enabled the skill, and run discord but Alexa does not find any of my Vera devices.

I'm in the US and I'm having the same problem you are.  <snip>

Thanks!

-Greg

I have had the following reply from the Beta team, which seems to confirm our experiences are not connected with being in the UK:

We are not aware of any limitations that should prevent you in using the UK version of the Amazon Echo. If there is an issue with the discovery it might be related to something else.

Have you tried to make again the discovery, or gave it sometime for Alexa to discover the devices on it?s own ? It should do it every hour or less.

Is there anything else about our setup that we have in common?  I have the Philips Hue and Nest skills enabled on the Echo, and was using ha-bridge on a Raspberry Pi to control my Vera devices until the Beta came along.  I have been careful to ensure that I've not enabled devices on the Vera Beta that are accessible via the Hue or Nest skills, so there should be no conflict there, but maybe it's something to do with this setup?

Cheers
Tony

Offline jmpugh

Re: Echo skill beta
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2016, 06:14:19 pm »
I had the same room redundancy name problem.  Just playing around I went into the Alexa app on my phone and under smart devices created a group called "Kitchen Light" and added my kitchen light to it.  After a couple of minutes, I could say, "Alexa, turn off the kitchen light" instead of "kitchen, kitchen light".

Still can't find a way to add scenes or devices after their names have been changed. Even telling it to search for smart devices won't pick up the ones which names that had been changed.

Offline otakup0pe

« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2016, 08:34:12 pm »
Can we get a link back to the device association page that doesn't involve clicking on the original invite link?

Offline wrathwielder

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2016, 12:54:48 am »
Is there anything else about our setup that we have in common?  I have the Philips Hue and Nest skills enabled on the Echo, and was using ha-bridge on a Raspberry Pi to control my Vera devices until the Beta came along.  I have been careful to ensure that I've not enabled devices on the Vera Beta that are accessible via the Hue or Nest skills, so there should be no conflict there, but maybe it's something to do with this setup?

Hi Tony!

I was just about to try and get the Echo working via the "JavaSDK" method when I saw the news about the beta for the Vera skill...
Couldn't have been happier as I was waist-deep in Java and the "I'm Only Resting" app...
Oh well! I guess I could always go that route again until they iron out the skill bugs...but I don't want to give up that easy! :)

I don't have the Hue or Nest skills, and I never quite got to the "workaround" ha-bridge method, so I don't think that's your problem.
One thing you could try is to upgrade your Vera to the 7.0.19 beta firmware.
I don't recall which Vera or UI you have (I have the Plus with UI7) but a few people mentioned that their Echo wasn't detecting Vera devices until they updated to the beta firmware and then it started working. That didn't work for me though... :(
It's a bit confusing, as the "official" release for 7.0.19 beta clearly says that one of the things it added is Echo skill support, yet I have been told by the guy that comments on their Facebook page, that it's NOT necessary to have the beta Vera firmware to get the skill working...go figure! Whom do you believe?

I'm a little discouraged that all the beta support team could come up with for you was "did you try to discover the devices again?" - if you're like me you mashed that "discover devices" button a ton of times (or got hoarse asking Alexa to do it) :)

As far as their suggestion to just "wait" and see if it auto-discovers - that also seems pretty weak to me as it takes them about 3 days to get back to people - no doubt that's PLENTY of time for it to auto-discover if it's going to do it - and it didn't :)

I have 5 lights on GE "appliance" modules, a "dry" relay for my fireplace, and a garage door on a Mimolite - none of them are being detected (devices OR scenes)

I've tried with and without the beta firmware on the vera, I've "unchecked" all the devices from the site that links your vera to the Echo (link that came via email) and then linked them all again, I've turned the skill off on the Echo and then back on, rebooted the Vera and the Echo Dot, and clicked my heels together 3 times saying "there's no place like home...with a working Vera skill..." - no joy! :)

I'm going on day 3 without a response from the beta team on my initial inquiry for this problem. I sure hope they don't tell me what they told you! Especially since their reply time makes it seem like we're talking to someone on a deep-space mission :)

I'll let you know when I hear from them, although it's Thanksgiving tomorrow so I doubt I'll hear anything for awhile - even tech support people haz to eat their turkey! :)

-Greg

guest20975

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2016, 05:56:33 am »

Hi Tony!

I was just about to try and get the Echo working via the "JavaSDK" method when I saw the news about the beta for the Vera skill...
Couldn't have been happier as I was waist-deep in Java and the "I'm Only Resting" app...
Oh well! I guess I could always go that route again until they iron out the skill bugs...but I don't want to give up that easy! :)

I don't have the Hue or Nest skills, and I never quite got to the "workaround" ha-bridge method, so I don't think that's your problem.
One thing you could try is to upgrade your Vera to the 7.0.19 beta firmware.
I don't recall which Vera or UI you have (I have the Plus with UI7) but a few people mentioned that their Echo wasn't detecting Vera devices until they updated to the beta firmware and then it started working. That didn't work for me though... :(
It's a bit confusing, as the "official" release for 7.0.19 beta clearly says that one of the things it added is Echo skill support, yet I have been told by the guy that comments on their Facebook page, that it's NOT necessary to have the beta Vera firmware to get the skill working...go figure! Whom do you believe?

I'm a little discouraged that all the beta support team could come up with for you was "did you try to discover the devices again?" - if you're like me you mashed that "discover devices" button a ton of times (or got hoarse asking Alexa to do it) :)

As far as their suggestion to just "wait" and see if it auto-discovers - that also seems pretty weak to me as it takes them about 3 days to get back to people - no doubt that's PLENTY of time for it to auto-discover if it's going to do it - and it didn't :)

I have 5 lights on GE "appliance" modules, a "dry" relay for my fireplace, and a garage door on a Mimolite - none of them are being detected (devices OR scenes)

I've tried with and without the beta firmware on the vera, I've "unchecked" all the devices from the site that links your vera to the Echo (link that came via email) and then linked them all again, I've turned the skill off on the Echo and then back on, rebooted the Vera and the Echo Dot, and clicked my heels together 3 times saying "there's no place like home...with a working Vera skill..." - no joy! :)

I'm going on day 3 without a response from the beta team on my initial inquiry for this problem. I sure hope they don't tell me what they told you! Especially since their reply time makes it seem like we're talking to someone on a deep-space mission :)

I'll let you know when I hear from them, although it's Thanksgiving tomorrow so I doubt I'll hear anything for awhile - even tech support people haz to eat their turkey! :)

-Greg

I've had the same problems with the beta team support, including long delays in replying. The final report back to me was that they were reporting it to the developers and I should just wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 2 vera pluses running the latest beta and openluup on a raspi pi3, with philips hue bulbs throughout the house, nest thermostat and protects and tado aircon control. Alexa discovers all my lights (including 6 osram lightify), Nest thermostat and Tado aircon. I live in the UK and have 2 echo dots and a full echo, what more do we need to do to persuade getvera to come out of hibernation?