Author Topic: Has anyone attempted/accompished Google Home integration?  (Read 7117 times)

Offline jswim788

Re: Has anyone attempted/accompished Google Home integration?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 02:29:19 pm »
The HA bridge only has four commands.  On, Off, Bright and Dim.  Really, Bright and Dim are the same command line.  You can't set a thermostat with it (I use ITFFF for that but even that is simplistic and not ideal).
I do use the HA bridge to set my wifi thermostat.  The Dim setting is the desired temperature.  Works very well.  Relies on the post/get interface supported by the thermostat.  Anything connecting to the bridge thinks I have a light bulb named "heat".

Offline MrBoo

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »

I do use the HA bridge to set my wifi thermostat.  The Dim setting is the desired temperature.  Works very well.  Relies on the post/get interface supported by the thermostat.  Anything connecting to the bridge thinks I have a light bulb named "heat".

I may look into that!  I was JUST able to add my Honeywell into Vera, so I didn't even have a Thermostat in Vera until the last few weeks.  Thanks for the tip!

Offline jlind

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 03:54:56 pm »
I've been using the HA bridge running on an old Raspberry Pi I had (ver 1 or 2, no hestitation at all) to interface with a Google Home and it works awesome.  I can say "Set living room light to 10%" and it sets them.  The wording seems to be very flexible from what I can tell. The ONLY issue I have is that it'll sometimes pickup all of my lights when I only want one turned on.  For instance, if I say "OK Google, turn on living room lights", it'll respond that it turned on 20+ lights.  But without saying "lights" and only saying "light", it responds with "OK, one light turned on".  I REALLY like that I can obfuscate what I name the scenes and devices thru the HA Bridge app.  I like it so much that even if Vera or some other developer decided to offer a plugin that didn't offer this obfuscation, I would likely just keep using the HA Bridge.  I also use the IFTTT site for some things that I don't have in Vera, such as my sprinklers.  I don't believe the hype.  Yes, Echo (Amazon) got a head start for this type of device, but Google has a massive head start for the environment it runs inside of. 

I would highly recommend the setup I have.
VeraLite/VeraPlus with UI7, Multiple GE switches, GE Outlets, Aeon Smart Switches, Minimote, GE Portable outlets  Apps: (Pentair Autelis Plugin, Weather Underground, Honeywell WiFi Thermo, System Monitor, AlternateUI)

Offline jsfaje

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 01:53:12 pm »
I am still unable to get the ha-bridge running with Google Home.

I can see the Vera in the bridge control panel. I can see the Hue lights (After I pair...do you really have to do that again after any time the computer reboots?)

But I can't figure out getting the Google Home to talk to it. When you add the Hue bridge to the Google Home in the Home app, it wants to add the physical bridge. You're not supposed to do that, right?

Offline MrBoo

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 02:56:45 pm »
What happens when you test in the HA Bridge?  Can you turn lights on\off\dim?  What do you see when you open the Home Control option in Google Home?  I see all my advertised devices listed under the Phillips Hue.  You are running the bridge on port 80?   Are you running the latest HA Bridge version?  My Home Control option in Google Home lists all the devices I've ported from Vera in the HA Bridge.  All I have to do is make a change on the bridge and those changes are picked up straight away in the Home Control. I can also browse to my HA Bridge from any machine on my network by using my server address.   You could test that way to see if you bridge is advertising.

Offline jsfaje

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
Yes, latest version, yes, port 80, and yes I can control lights from the control panel. But when I pair the Hue to Google Home, I only see the Hue lights in the Home app. Am I supposed to pair the physical Hue bridge to the Home, or is it supposed to see the emulated bridge?

Offline MrBoo

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 07:55:23 am »
I was able to start commanding Home to control devices as soon as I saw those devices listed under Hugh on the Home app. 

Offline atd999

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 02:02:50 pm »
I have Google Home and Dot side by side for a while now.. both talk to the same HA Bridge (running on RaspberryPI)
Sharing the same set of device/commands from Vera

what I have noticed is 90% of the time, my kids will use Alexa.. in fact, i am the only that try to use Google

"OK Google" and "Hey Google" are just unnaturally ask a question.. and it seems that Google mic is lesser sensitive than Alexa (both placed side by side) when you activate voice command .. ie "Alexa" vs "OK Google"

Google command recognition is little bit better .. you can ask in different ways and it's response is better  ie "Turning on Bedroom Light" vs Alexa just say "OK"

At the end of the day, I think Alexa wins.. if you want voice control for home automation, I would pick Alexa..  (PS ..I am a Google fan  but  "OK Google" is not getting my vote..)

maybe they should change this "Jiggle", "Turn on my radio" and it still better than "OK Google"  << is this a person or is it a thing?  .... "Alexa" word is more welcoming ..

Offline gwichman

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 04:12:19 pm »
I went with google home myself.. mostly because google just tends to do cloud services better then it's competitors. Although I agree saying ok google in your house is a bit strange. hopefully they'll make that configurable in the future. It'd be easy to do and is already often requested by users.

Offline MrBoo

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 06:06:05 pm »
Both\All should allow you to customize the wake up command.  For security reasons if nothing else.  I don't mind OK Google.  The best part is my wife doesn't either.  She was OK with everything until Google Home.  Now she is OK Googling everything.  It's awesome to see her so enthused! 

Offline baxy_AU

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2017, 10:27:40 am »

I will have a Google Home  agent soon ...  it should work on your android phone, tablet, or google home device.

This will support simple discovery/device management.
Multiple Vera's ...
Multiple Google Home devices ...

I also have a Vera Alerts Profile that I plan to release with this that will allow you to send Vera notifications (as Text to Speech) to some/all of your google home and google cast devices.

This requires installing something on an always running server  (RaspberyPi, Windows, Mac ...) device. Sorry you can't run on Vera because it requires a Java virtual machine.
Hi Richard
Are you saying just the notifications will require an always running server? Or the Google home agent will also require this?

Offline jsnsmyth

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2017, 11:28:57 am »
Here's another possible approach to using Google Home to control Vera ....

I was watching this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lpLeNqOges  where the TWIT guys were describing how to use ITTT and the Maker Channel to send html requests to either a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino.  This made me think why not just send html requests to Vera.  The Vera documentation here  http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Requests#action shows some example html requests for performing actions like turning on a light.  Unfortunately my Vera is located remotely from my Google Home, so I don't think I can easily get Google Home via ITTT/Maker to remote log into Vera.  But if Google Home and Vera were on the same network, Vera's local ip address (192.168.0.4 for example) can be hard coded in the Maker html request.

I was able to remotely request to set one of my dimmers to 30% after logging into Vera remotely, by sending this url ....

http://fwd2.mios.com/port_3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=json&DeviceNum=63&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1&action=SetLoadLevelTarget&newLoadlevelTarget=30

That seemed like proof that Vera can be controlled via html requests.

Maybe someone with Vera and Google Home on the same network can give this a try.

EDIT:

I think I can discount my own idea.  The problem is that Maker requires a request to a PUBLICLY accessible URL.  So the local Vera IP address (192.168.0.xx) will not work.  Sorry if I've mislead anyone. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:13:17 pm by jsnsmyth »

Offline jswim788

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2017, 11:58:13 am »

I was watching this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lpLeNqOges  where the TWIT guys were describing how to use ITTT and the Maker Channel to send html requests to either a Raspberry Pi or an Arduino.  This made me think why not just send html requests to Vera.  The Vera documentation here  http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Requests#action shows some example html requests for performing actions like turning on a light.  Unfortunately my Vera is located remotely from my Google Home, so I don't think I can easily get Google Home via ITTT/Maker to remote log into Vera.  But if Google Home and Vera were on the same network, Vera's local ip address (192.168.0.4 for example) can be hard coded in the Maker html request.

I was able to remotely request to set one of my dimmers to 30% after logging into Vera remotely, by sending this url ....

http://fwd2.mios.com/port_3480/data_request?id=action&output_format=json&DeviceNum=63&serviceId=urn:upnp-org:serviceId:Dimming1&action=SetLoadLevelTarget&newLoadlevelTarget=30

Maybe someone with Vera and Google Home on the same network can give this a try.

This is exactly what you can do with the HA bridge.  It pretends to be a light bulb, but the command going out can be anything - in particular it can be the http requests to the Vera.  So you can set up a device named "blinds" in the HA bridge, and have the http request that it generates raise or lower your blinds via Vera.  My HA bridge talks to my thermostat and runs scenes on the Vera.  I have a scene for "winter sleep".  Works very well to turn off lights, turn down the heat, etc.

Offline jsnsmyth

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2017, 12:19:41 pm »

This is exactly what you can do with the HA bridge.  It pretends to be a light bulb, but the command going out can be anything - in particular it can be the http requests to the Vera.  So you can set up a device named "blinds" in the HA bridge, and have the http request that it generates raise or lower your blinds via Vera.  My HA bridge talks to my thermostat and runs scenes on the Vera.  I have a scene for "winter sleep".  Works very well to turn off lights, turn down the heat, etc.

But I think that ITTT/Maker should give you a way to control Vera via Google Home without the need for HA bridge or the server it needs to run on.  I'm not sure if this approach will work, and perhaps HA bridge is better in many ways.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2017, 04:09:37 pm »
Yes my solution will require a windows, mac, or Linux box running a java app to be running all the time.

There are ways to do this all cloud  based ... but I would loose a number of features. The project is moving along nicely.

I have a very simple setup once Java is installed.
You do not need to stay logged in.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 04:20:30 pm by RichardTSchaefer »