Author Topic: Has anyone attempted/accompished Google Home integration?  (Read 5367 times)

Offline jsfaje

Re: Has anyone attempted/accompished Google Home integration?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 01:24:39 pm »
Still can't get the ha-bridge to work. The instructions say

"Use the Google Home app on a phone to add new "home control" devices by going into Settings / Home Control / + as described here. Click on Philips Hue under the Add new section. If ha-bridge is on the same network as the phone as well as the Home device, then the app should quickly pass through the pairing step and populate with all of the devices. If instead it takes you to a Philips Hue login page, this means that the bridge was not properly discovered."

The ha-bridge is on the same network as everything in my house. The are all in the 192.168.0.x space, and it has the proper port number. When I go to add the Hue in the home app, I can add the actual physical Hue Bridge. Am I supposed to be adding the virtual ha-bridge? The instructions are unclear. I never see an option to do that.

Offline dannieboiz

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 03:25:56 pm »
Still can't get the ha-bridge to work. The instructions say

"Use the Google Home app on a phone to add new "home control" devices by going into Settings / Home Control / + as described here. Click on Philips Hue under the Add new section. If ha-bridge is on the same network as the phone as well as the Home device, then the app should quickly pass through the pairing step and populate with all of the devices. If instead it takes you to a Philips Hue login page, this means that the bridge was not properly discovered."

The ha-bridge is on the same network as everything in my house. The are all in the 192.168.0.x space, and it has the proper port number. When I go to add the Hue in the home app, I can add the actual physical Hue Bridge. Am I supposed to be adding the virtual ha-bridge? The instructions are unclear. I never see an option to do that.

from a different computer on the same network see if you can access the HA Bridge interface using the IP address of the bridge PC.

Also don't change the port, it needs to stay on port 80 if I recall

Offline winkoppp

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 09:17:12 am »
 Got it working without HA bridge, I have been searching and did not see this solution. If someone else found this solution, sorry for taking credit.

Requirements, Dynamic DNS address, Router permission, IFTTT.

Set up a dynamic web address, I used http://www.noip.com/, free. Once you have that working, you have web access to your home network.

Create a scene you want to activate. After you save the scene go back to edit the scene to see the number of that particular scene.

Set up an IFTTT account. https://ifttt.com

Ready to go: in IFTTT create new applet. If this: select google assistant, select- say simple phrase, set up want you want to say to execute your scene and what you want Google Home to reply. Then: Select "Maker". For the URL put in:
http://<your address>.no-ip.com:3480/data_request?id=action&serviceId=urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1&action=RunScene&SceneNum=<Your scene number>       no "<>"'s put in your unique address and scene number
For content select "text/plain" and leave Body blank

You probably need to open port number 3480 on your modem/router or port forward that port number to the IP address of your micasa verde for this to work, but that is it.

I was able to control the lights without a big delay. Because google home reserves curtain key words, my verbal commands needed to be customized.  To get the thermostat to a certain temp, I say "OK google run scene 72". It also works with echo, just have to use the word "trigger".

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:38:18 am by winkoppp »

Offline MrBoo

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 12:17:10 pm »
I'd be careful opening up Vera with an unsecured connection.  The HA Bridge works, although limited.  It works as well as anything else that is out there and with limited security risk.

On a non-Vera side note:  Google Home now has direct support for Total Comfort connected Honeywell Thermostats.  I was able to connect mine last night. I can set the thermostat, and I can also ask for a status on settings and the current internal temp.  It seems to work very well!!

Offline jswim788

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 12:34:14 pm »
I wish the HA bridge could provide status, but I gather that's not in the Hue bridge protocol.  It would be really great to get status through it as then you would have the ability to both set and query which gives a lot of flexibility.  Bummer.

Offline MrBoo

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 01:15:19 pm »
I have not seen where anyone has been able to to request status through the HA Bridge for Vera.  I haven't seen it if they have.  I am hoping RichardTSchaefer's solution will allow for status.  I would also like to be able to push TTS to Google Home, if you are taking feature requests, Richard.  ;)

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 05:45:41 pm »
I have not seen where anyone has been able to to request status through the HA Bridge for Vera.  I haven't seen it if they have.  I am hoping RichardTSchaefer's solution will allow for status.  I would also like to be able to push TTS to Google Home, if you are taking feature requests, Richard
That feature is there ... and one of the reasons why I require a local server to run some software.
One problem is that if you have a Music stream playing and you send a message ... there is no way to resume the stream.
For some stream types I might be able to resume that stream type .... but there is no general solution ... and to many stream types ... that I will likely not even try.

Offline MrBoo

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:20 pm »
I can see things developing where you can pause any stream then pick it back up.  But baby steps..  I know...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:33:53 pm by MrBoo »

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 10:17:59 am »
I have Vera, Google Home, HA Bridge and HUE.
I've set up the HA Bridge and I can see and add my devices within HA Bridge.
On the Bridge Devices Page I can turn my devices on and off and dim.
Problem is when I try to give Google Home the command to turn on, off or Dim Google HOme gives me "I can't do that message" or "Devices" messages.

What am I missing?

Offline gwichman

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 11:00:06 am »
Problem is when I try to give Google Home the command to turn on, off or Dim Google HOme gives me "I can't do that message" or "Devices" messages.

What am I missing?
Have you gone into your google home app on your phone and added the HA bridge?

from the documentation:

Google Assistant

Google Home is supported as of v3.2.0 and forward, but only if the bridge is running on port 80.

Use the Google Home app on a phone to add new "home control" devices by going into Settings / Home Control / + as described here. Click on Philips Hue under the Add new section. If ha-bridge is on the same network as the phone as well as the Home device, then the app should quickly pass through the pairing step and populate with all of the devices. If instead it takes you to a Philips Hue login page, this means that the bridge was not properly discovered.

Then you can say "OK Google, Turn on the office light" or whatever name you have given your configured devices.

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 05:11:15 pm »

What am I missing?
Have you gone into your google home app on your phone and added the HA bridge?

from the documentation:

Google Assistant

Google Home is supported as of v3.2.0 and forward, but only if the bridge is running on port 80.

Use the Google Home app on a phone to add new "home control" devices by going into Settings / Home Control / + as described here. Click on Philips Hue under the Add new section. If ha-bridge is on the same network as the phone as well as the Home device, then the app should quickly pass through the pairing step and populate with all of the devices. If instead it takes you to a Philips Hue login page, this means that the bridge was not properly discovered.

Then you can say "OK Google, Turn on the office light" or whatever name you have given your configured devices.

Yes I went into the Google Home app and went through the process as described in the documentation. My devices display in HA Bridge and I can control with the on and off buttons but I still can't seem to get the Google Home to work with voice commands

Offline gwichman

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 05:49:47 pm »
Yes I went into the Google Home app and went through the process as described in the documentation. My devices display in HA Bridge and I can control with the on and off buttons but I still can't seem to get the Google Home to work with voice commands

If the devices show up in the HA bridge interface under "bridge devices" AND on your phone's app the HA bridge shows up under settings->home control->manage devices as a linked service ("philips hue") AND on your phone's app under settings->home control all your devices are there, it should work IMHO. Any of the devices in the phone's app under home control should be controllable with a "ok google, <device name or room name> <on/off>"

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 06:48:41 pm »

If the devices show up in the HA bridge interface under "bridge devices" AND on your phone's app the HA bridge shows up under settings->home control->manage devices as a linked service ("philips hue") AND on your phone's app under settings->home control all your devices are there, it should work IMHO. Any of the devices in the phone's app under home control should be controllable with a "ok google, <device name or room name> <on/off>"

Ahhh thats the problem.

-My Devices are listed under bridge devices
-Hue is shown as a linked device within the google home app
-But my devices are NOT showing up within Home Control. The only device that displays is the one Philips Hue light I have on my network.[/li][/list]

Do you know what I did wrong?
Should I have my Philips Hue Hub listed under Hue Devices tab?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:12:12 pm by chilump »

Offline gwichman

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2017, 08:55:20 pm »

Ahhh thats the problem.

-My Devices are listed under bridge devices
    -Hue is shown as a linked device within the google home app
    -But my devices are NOT showing up within Home Control. The only device that displays is the one Philips Hue light I have on my network.[/li][/list]

Do you know what I did wrong?
    Should I have my Philips Hue Hub listed under Hue Devices tab?

For me as soon as i did the below and the google home app connected to the ha bridge the devices populated. There was a delay in that it didn't happen right away - but more or less it does. All your existing vera devices (or scenes) that you see over on the ha bridge "bridge devices" page should show up magically. The rooms you define manually. Maybe try removing and adding it again?

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
    « Reply #44 on: March 05, 2017, 01:10:31 pm »
    @gwichman Thanks for your help!
    I figured it out.
    I had the Hue Hub, Raspberry Pi and Vera going through different switches even though they were on the same network.
    I reset everything and plugged all into the same switch and all the devices appeared within the app.
    Thanks!