We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: VeraLite Firmware 1.7.902 not enough space  (Read 8532 times)

Offline Quinten

Re: VeraLite Firmware 1.7.902 not enough space
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 05:46:02 am »
Thanks for the advice Rene, but sods law, as soon as I hit 'Post', I received a reply from Support saying that it should be fixed now, and by Jove, it was...

I did order a Plus on Amazon (out of stock, but good price) and am tempted to keep the order open as the Lite is getting on a bit now after >4 years service...
VeraLite - UI7 1.7.947 | 8x Fibaro FGD211 | 2x Fibaro FGS221 | 1x Fibaro FGBS321 | 3x Fibaro FGRGBW | 1x Everspring SP814 | 2x Everspring AN157-3 | 2x Heatmiser PRT-TS WiFi | 1x Logitech Harmony Hub | 1x Philips LivingColour

Offline logread

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 11:24:14 am »
Unless you run out of space in the /tmp partition adding a USB for logging will not help with the space issue. For most the space issue is with the /overlay partition. There are two plugins that use a lot of space on the /overlay partition, DataMine and ALTUI. It may help if you remove ALTUI and all its files. DataMine can be temporary removed by the installation script in a way you will not loose any of your data.
Rene, I absolutely concur with your comment about checking out the largest files in the /overlay mount. Besides AltUI device files in /etc/cmh-ludl, there are some large files in the /etc/cmh-zwfw folder that do not appear to be of any use for the VeraLite (that uses zwave fw 3.67 for the MiOS firmware I am currently running on my Lite i.e. 1.7.760):

zwave_fw_3.83_eu.hex
zwave_fw_3.83_us.hex
zwave_fw_4.05_au.hex
zwave_fw_4.05_eu.hex
zwave_fw_4.05_us.hex

total = 863KB

Interestingly, the above files are not present in the new 1.7.902 firmware image that I am currently dissecting for my perusal before I venture into the upgrade process. I deleted these files (after a backup...) and so far my VeraLite still works like usual (meaning kind of...) with 7.7MB of free space in /overlay

But I am not suggesting or recommending anyone does it... Just for informed people and your own risks and perils...

On possibly a related note if the space issue arises in the future... The new firmware 1.7.902 localization language files for French and Spanish are 1MB in total... more languages in the future will only increase the firmware image size unless these are built for a single language.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:54:42 am by logread »
Vera Lite UI7, Fibaro FGS-221, FGS-212, FGSS-001, FGK-101, FGWPE/F-101, FGMS-001, Aeon HEM G2, GreenWave PowerNode 6,  Everspring ST-814, SE-812, Swiid SwiidInter.
Raspberry Pi2 Raspbian w/ openLuup. AltUI, SV Thermostat, Virtual Switch, Weather (openWeather), System Monitor (openSysMon), HomeWave.

Offline dial911

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 02:10:40 pm »
Stuck in the same situation on my Veralite.  I have uninstalled apps with only minor memory increases.  Added log to USB but had no effect. 

Current memory status:

Not enough space to upgrade.
Available Space: 6936 KB
Required Space: 6984 KB
Please contact Customer Care.

Put a support request in last night but haven't heard back.

***UPDATE***

I called support, and on the third attempt I actually got someone live (!!!)
After enabling the Veralite for remote support on the Customer Care tab and waiting on the phone for about 10 minutes, I was then instructed to go back to the firmaware page and viola! I then did NOT receive the "not enough space" message.  I'm not sure what the fix was (I assume removing unnecessary/old/no longer required files) but the unit is now updating.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:24:30 pm by dial911 »

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 08:23:49 pm »
My memory shortage cleared itself after a couple of days. I did notice files from apps I have removed, but relearning Putty and Linux to clean up the files is not on my priority list.  :D
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline tomtcom

• Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 09:47:45 pm »
Bad sectors was my issue. The following was from support, it worked and I'm good with the new firmware.

I?ve checked and saw that there are some bad sectors on the unit and this is why you were not able to upgrade to unit. Because of these bad sectors there is a chance that the unit might be unusable after the upgrade.

I would suggest you try to upgrade the unit but instead of choosing ?Keep my current settings and configuration? option after clicking the ?Upgrade? button, go with ?Restore to default state?. This way you will be able to upgrade the unit. The upgrade procedure will take up to 15-20 minutes and once the unit is back on, you will need to re-assign it to your account and restore a backup from ?Settings? > ?Backup?.

When you are restoring the backup, make sure that the ?Restore z-wave network? option is checked. This will restore all your z-wave devices.

Let me know how it went and if necessary I will get back at you.

Offline Daemon256

• Sr. Newbie

Offline methley

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 08:18:18 am »
Thanks, this resolved the issue for me.

Offline deursen

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 05:06:41 am »
Took some time to investigate. But no real solution so far. What I see is that the Vera does not clean up things in memory when not needed anymore. When unistalling apps the Luup files are left in the cmh directory. There I also see that the PLEG J_PLC.js is very big. Do bad I need that one. I also see dongle.3.20.dmp.? files in the cmh directory. Do not know if I can delete these. Also in this directory user_data.json.lzo.? files. Also looks like I do not need all of them.

In general it looks like a clean install and rebuilding everything from scratch is the only option. Hopefully everything will fit into memory then. I get the feeling the VeraLite memory is not big enough anymore.

Offline jmassination

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2016, 10:37:17 am »
I am having a similar but slightly different problem. When the new firmware first became available, I also was getting the message that there wasnt enough space. But then a few days later, the message went away. Since then I have tried to update the firmware a couple of times, but it does not work. It tries to  update for 20 minutes or so (web interface unresponsive during this time), but then after about 20-30 minutes, the web-interface becomes responsive, but the update apparently didnt work, because it still says I need to update. Any one experience this or know the cause/solution might be?

Offline anup56

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 10:59:21 pm »
All,
There is a new procedure for legacy devices like Veralite and Vera3, if space runs out during updates. I had a similar issue but I ended up with blue flashing light , and had to access via ssh run a few commands and then it reboot was able to get in
long enough to run this
procedure which i found:
https://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2681189-not-enough-storage-to-update-controller-

Basically you are using a local backup, or a MCV cloud backup, and upgrading by restoring to factory settings, then restoring from the backup . this worked flawlessly for me after several hours of tickering with trying to get back into the GUI. I wish
i had  seen this linkl before i did the straight upgrade to keep the settings.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 08:30:01 pm »
All,
There is a new procedure for legacy devices like Veralite and Vera3, if space runs out during updates. I had a similar issue but I ended up with blue flashing light , and had to access via ssh run a few commands and then it reboot was able to get in
long enough to run this
procedure which i found:
https://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2681189-not-enough-storage-to-update-controller-

Basically you are using a local backup, or a MCV cloud backup, and upgrading by restoring to factory settings, then restoring from the backup . this worked flawlessly for me after several hours of tickering with trying to get back into the GUI. I wish
i had  seen this linkl before i did the straight upgrade to keep the settings.

A couple of cautions:
1) Sometimes plug-in files get lost. You have to find the files and copy them over to Vera (complicated) or do a reset and restore again.
2) Some plug-ins have been withdrawn by the author and I think Vera will not be able to restore them. I do not use any of those plug-ins but that is what I have heard.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1