We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: US Vera Product Updates & Deals compared to the rest of the world  (Read 1915 times)

Offline mikewooduk

All,

Does anyone else seem disenchanted with the product updates for Vera that only appear in the US Market?

I see from the latest offers they are offering UPS and 3G back-up solutions for the US Markets but no availability or release information for the rest of the world.

If Micasaverde aka Get Vera is trying to lose customers in Europe and other areas of the world, they are going about it the right way.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Offline Mai Pensato

Re: US Vera Product Updates & Deals compared to the rest of the world
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 03:16:24 pm »
I have the same feeling.. They have very interesting discounts (50$) when you upgrade to a VeraPlus and return your old Vera controller. But you only get the discount when you order from the Vera store. And then you are confronted with huge shipping costs when you live in Europe, like me (Holland). I contacted Vera about this but they were not willing to come up with a solution.  And VeraPlus is already > 20$ more expensive to begin with if you order the EU version compared with US version...

Offline kev b

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 03:25:21 pm »
My guess regarding the backup with 3G cellular service is that they don't yet have an agreement with phone carriers other than those in the US.

Offline mikewooduk

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:42:40 pm »
@ Mai Pensato

It would appear that they are trying to make the Vera Plus the Vera Secure that was supposed to be a separate controller that was supposed to be released, but never has and nothing has ever been confirmed by Vera Control Ltd.

It will be interesting to see where they go with this.  I have been using Versternet.com to order my equipment here in the UK, I believe that they ship to Holland as well.

@ Kev B

3G fallover should work with any compatible 3G/4G Modem, they just need to get their software working with the modems.  Should be interesting to see if they get this working on UK and EU networks.

Regards,

Mike

Offline Mai Pensato

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 04:18:56 pm »
@ Mai Pensato
I have been using Versternet.com to order my equipment here in the UK, I believe that they ship to Holland as well.
It's absolutely no problem to buy Vera in Holland, there are a couple of very good home automation stores. The problem is that you cannot make use of the upgrade offers of Vera. I know Vesternet and they have a very good reputation on support. But it's not cheaper for me to buy stuff from them. Prices of zwave stuff in Holland compared to UK are very similar.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 04:38:08 pm »
FTR, the 3G/4G modem works fine on a Vera Edge as does the UPS. I think the US gets the deals as Vera has a presence in the US and it's easy to ship units across the US and cut rebate checks. I don't believe they have a presence in Europe so teh shipping and check cutting  is not nearly as easy. Not even touching customs forms and tariffs.

As far as the USB 3G/4G modem is concerned, it's part of the CMS solution they offer. In the US they appear to use an existing infrastructure and they seem to have a contract with a alarm system monitoring company (They are not doing that in house) and most likely also with at least 1 wireless provider (I believe Verizon) for the bandwidth needed for that modem. Not sure if that will be as easy in eg Europe with regards to a) wireless provider that covers all of Europe and b) monitoring company that covers all of Europe. It would be way more costly having to do that on a country by country basis if a similar infrastructure is not available in Europe.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline mikewooduk

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 03:42:08 am »
@BOFH

Thanks for the input its really appreciated, especially from a technical point of view.

I have used 3G/4G USB modems as failover devices in UTM's for a number of years now and they don't care about the network, they just care about the 3G Carrier and the make of the modem as the device only needs to make an internet connection until the main connection comes back up.

It would be interesting to see if Vera Control Ltd decide to start supplying the UPS over here in the UK & EU and I wonder if it has any form of communication to advise the Vera Plus that it is running on UPS Power.

I know that a previous member wrote a nice little API for a APC UPS but I think it has been pulled from the market place, would be nice to have something that works rather than having my Vera hooked up to a APC CS650 UPS.

Would be nice for Vera Control to provide their two cents and maybe give us some holiday cheer!!

Regards,

Mike

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:04:57 am »
The UPS used is actually a small 12V battery unit that goes between Vera and it's wall wart PSU. As far as I can tell Vera is not able to tell if it runs off mains or battery. With the right firmware it's able to tell if the ethernet connection is down and it switches to the modem and vice versa.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W