Author Topic: 11 Aug 2010 - UI4 status  (Read 80505 times)

Offline denix

• Global Moderator
Re: 11 Aug 2010 - UI4 status
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 11:05:28 pm »
@ncherry:
New HomeSeer "troller" previously discussed here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5231.0

BTW, I'm familiar with your LinuxHA project. Since when did you become interested in Z-Wave? Or are you trying to use Vera with Insteon/X10 mainly?
Veras (1, 2, 3, Lite, Plus), lots of different Z-Wave modules, Luup plugins and theater/security integration.

Offline ncherry

• Sr. Newbie
    • Linux HA
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:40 am »
@ncherry:
New HomeSeer "troller" previously discussed here:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5231.0

BTW, I'm familiar with your LinuxHA project. Since when did you become interested in Z-Wave? Or are you trying to use Vera with Insteon/X10 mainly?

A friend has a Vera unit and I'm trying to help him out. When Vera first came out I felt they had the right idea. Looks like they've not made much headway (one step forward, two steps back).

My interest in Z-Wave is that of it seems to have some stick and will be around for a while. Though the US government standardizing on ZigBee probably hurt a bit. Lets face it I'm interested in all forms of HA as long as I can access it from Linux. I'm hoping that I can use the HA22 I have to control Z-Wave. Then I can add it to Misterhouse and then DollHouse (my Sheeva plug project). At the moment I'm trying to figure out if I like Lua (I found LOOP Lua, Object Oriented Programming and that I am interested in). I'm hoping to have DollHouse written in Java/Groovy but that's a ways away at this point (I need an architecture and Vera isn't it).

Let's just say I have a future project I'm working on.

Offline txpatriot

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2011, 12:06:23 pm »
My theory is they're behind the scenes trying to set themselves up as acquisition fodder for a larger company to buy them out at a premium.  (Ownership rationale:  Why invest your cash in a product which you're about to sell off and realize no gain from that cash infusion?)   And maybe that isn't going so well.   

Makes me shudder to think that this may all be a memory by the end of this year one way or the other.   

Luckily I bought one of those cheap Radio Shack locks, just so I could get a Schlage bridge -- just in case.  It may be necessary to start feeding the monster shortly I fear.

I think what will happen is that my Vera will suddenly go off line one day, no communication with the servers, the forum unavailable, nobody on the phones -- and I'll be forced to get my DYNDNS going again.

Offline MNB

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2011, 04:42:27 pm »
MCV where are you?? This Company Blog is suppose to provide the user committee with insight as to what are your working on and what releases are planned for the next 6 month to 1 year. There was a flurry of emails for the Beta users that indicated this week we were going to see a better, stable release. The lack of company communications since Aug is pathetic for a company trying to establish both its product(s) and services. A simple 2011 activities statement would be nice since someone must be working to one. If you’re getting the sense that a number of loyal customer base are getting a little irritated with the current lack of communications, then good! Do something other than allowing limited Beta user comments "their working on it". Timelines and meeting them provides confidence that MCV word is its bond and that it is a customer orientated company with commitment to a company’s vision (not sure what that is). Most reputable companies would welcome to share their product accomplishments and improvements do not take a lot of time once in awhile to communicate....
Edge-1.7.2607, VRI06-1LX Dimr (6), VS05-1LX Sw (4), GE ZW3002 Dimr (1), HA01C Outlet (12), HA02C Sw (6), HA04C Sw (4), GE Sw (2), HA05 Sw (3), MiniMote Contr (5), HSM200/100 Sensor (2), ZW100A Sensor (8), Nest thermostat (1) & Protect Fire/CO (6) Kwikset Locks (3), F18918W (1) & IP3M-9 (6) Cam's

Offline Poopiehead

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 07:11:18 pm »
... And if the prospective customer comes to these forums I think they'll run screaming in the other direction.

Indeed.  I just picked up some Z-Wave thermostats and locks, and was looking for a standalone unit to control them.  I've checked back twice now, hoping that these forums were still being supported.  The users seem great, but I'm hesitant to drop money on a box that looks as though it isn't being supported by the manufacturers.  I'm still considering it, but would have already committed if it looked as though the developers still had some interest in it.

In the meantime, I'll look for someone more frustrated than I am to unload one on craigslist.

Offline mario23

• Beta Testers
  • V2|V3
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2011, 10:30:40 pm »
I felt the same way a year ago when I started.
For what its worth, my Vera 2 has been working great since day one.
I would feel better if the company was more active here but in the meantime, I don't see any other option as affordable as this.  You will have do work alot of this stuff out for yourself but there are some great users on here that will help you as they have with me...
Vera 3 Lite | Kwikset lever Lock (3) | 45609 ON/Off (9) | 45603 Module (1) | VRI10 Dimmer (1) | VP00R Match Dimmer (1) | VRI06 Dimmer (2) | VRS15 (5) | Intermatic HA01C Outlets (3) | Trane Thermostat | HSM100 3in1 Sensor | Foscam FI8905W ipcam (1) | Foscam FI8904W (2) | Foscam FI8918W (3)

Offline Zoro

Is Vera Dead?
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 12:36:07 pm »

IS VERA DEAD?  RIP 01-23-2011

There has been no sign of life from the MiCasaVerde staff since August, 2010

Bug fixes only weeks away in August still remain uncompleted..

Why should we, the user community, continue to invest time and effort into an obviously dead product?

Offline CMRancho

• Beta Testers
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 01:06:46 pm »
It's a fair question, for sure.

The answer is "No, not dead yet!" in fact, we testers thought the most recent Release Candidate was there, but the MCV guys added a few last minute UI changes in response to our pleadings and there were a couple of minor regressions that needed to be fixed. That meant that we missed the hoped-for release last week. This is the plague of software development, and even though I'm in the biz and understand what they are going through, I am also an outspoken critic of MCV's and Vera's problems.

That being said, I'm still a Vera user and still believe Vera has a bright future. The stability and reliability improvements in the next release are significant. And the release is imminent.

Am I satisfied with Vera's feature set and the UI? Not by a long shot! Am I happy with the speed of the development cycle? Not remotely! Do I love and hate my Vera? Every day.

But more to your point - is Vera dead? No, but MCV's communication skill is.
Vera123beta; Schlage, Kwikset, TZEMT400; Linksys cams, Smarteye cams, HSM100; Aeon, Everspring, Cooper, Leviton, Intermatic, FortrezZ, Global Caché, USB-UIRT, Somfy, etc.

Offline CyberDuck

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 02:13:03 pm »
"But more to your point - is Vera dead? No, but MCV's communication skill is."

I would say their developers also have been dead for a long long time.. but it seems they _may_ be waking slightly up now.
I'll look forward to upcoming releases.

Offline Don Diego

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 04:05:33 pm »
It's reassuring to hear that SOME activity is going on... It's difficult to tell from the forum. However, it has been more than several months since I have noticed any activity of MiCasaVerde in this forum. Dates for promised bug fixes have come and gone with little interest in their passing. I need some resolution of the major problem of UI4 now. The system has a lot of promise but nothing much to show in the last 5 months!!

Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline mdconnelly

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 08:32:27 pm »
MCV must release a rock-solid version of the UI4 firmware and they must do so very soon.  Their credibility is suspect and communication non-existent.   

Offline ncherry

• Sr. Newbie
    • Linux HA
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 08:36:03 pm »
It's a fair question, for sure.

The answer is "No, not dead yet!" in fact, we testers thought the most recent Release Candidate was there, but the MCV guys added a few last minute UI changes in response to our pleadings and there were a couple of minor regressions that needed to be fixed.

But more to your point - is Vera dead? No, but MCV's communication skill is.
If Vera has a problem communicating with their current customer base how well will they be able to react to the customer base when Tricky.tv is added? Especially when I've seen at least a dozen customers dump them for another solution in the last month alone? Those customers decided to spend more dollars and take them somewhere else. That's a huge chunk of their ego they had to swallow.These kinds of error are going to be costly. And I'm pretty certain the Tricky.tv & Samsung will not be on the suffering side.

Sadly, these words will fall on deaf ears. The testers appear not to be part of the company and the company doesn't visit anymore.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:39:49 pm by ncherry »

Offline Zoro

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2011, 06:02:02 am »

Theories are fine but often our best hopes are dashed.

I use Vera to support entry to a number of rental properties. The lock scheduling feature worked in UI2, it doesn't in UI4. Either we have a stable and functional UI by February or it will be time to pull the plug on Vera.

Homeseer will be my next stop and there will be no looking back.

Offline Don Diego

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2011, 06:04:21 am »

I agree
Vera 3 (@1.5.622) (3); Vera Plus (2);
Trane/Schlage TStats (1); Schlage Deadbolt (2); Kwikset Lock (3);  GE 45602 Dimmer (14); GE 45603 Dimmer (17); HSM-100 (16); Everspring Siren (8), Everspring Temp/Humidity (4); HSM 200 (1)

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Beta Testers
  • Technology Guru
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2011, 09:59:02 am »
Guys,

MiCasaVerde has been working hard to get this latest firmware solidified and in your hands.

We beta testers have been testing new builds every few days for a while now, trying to work out as many bugs as possible. 

Unfortunately, MCV's focus seems to be on the firmware development, and as such, they aren't spending very much time browsing the forums and providing official guidance.  Hopefully, once this update is released, we will see an increased presence from MCV on the forums.

That being said, "hang in there".  The new firmware should solve a lot of the outstanding issues users have been experiencing as of late. 
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.