We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Benefits of moving off Vera3 onto Vera Plus?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline pascalw

• Sr. Newbie
Benefits of moving off Vera3 onto Vera Plus?
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:24:57 pm »
I have a well working Vera3 (latest firmware with Ui7) with mostly switches, Hunter Douglas Platinum IP-based integration with some custom LUA code and DCS alarm integration through Envisa2.

With the last firmware upgrade I had to clean quite a bit to even do the upgrade and I'm looking at a Vera Plus to avoid that challenge going forward.
What would other benefits be? Speed? Zwave-wise?

What hassle would a migration be? Can I back-up and restore from Vera3 to VeraPlus? What would I need to recreate?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Pascal

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Control Systems
Re: Benefits of moving off Vera3 onto Vera Plus?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:51:12 pm »
I doubt there are any benefits.
Obviously, you have a working systems, which may not work without much tweaking after you move.
Why not just get a Vera Plus and add any new devices you acquire to it and save yourself a lot of grief and tears?
That was the plan I used and am very happy having a Vera Lite running along side a Edge (and Home Seer).

FWIW
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline pascalw

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:24:28 pm »
Thanks Zedrally!

Can 2 units easily coexist in the same house? Would I be able to see devices on both in a single view on the IOS app?

P

Offline zedrally

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 07:58:29 pm »
They are all  on different networks so you won't see devices from other networks. They can be called using http, possibly setting one as a Master Controller or be integrated by using Imperi Home, but I haven't bothered going down that path as I just set up the Automation I need and not use any UI input.

In all we have 6 different Z Wave networks (Vera Lite, Vera Edge, Homeseer, Poop, Philio 1 & Philio PSC05, Netic) operating on 921.4mHz with no problems.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, Fantem Tec and then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, RFXComm, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:04:23 pm »
Hi Pascal,

Two units can be used in a uPnP bridged environment if they are in the same LAN and subnet. See: http://support.getvera.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2591731-how-can-i-bridge-two-controllers-?b_id=712

Basically you decide which one would be the master unit, that would accommodate the devices of the the slave units, after bridging.

This way you will have two units, under the one, master unit dashboard.

They would be accessible from the mobile app as well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 08:06:17 pm by John M. »
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline zedrally

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:09:14 pm »

Basically you decide which one would the the master unit, that would accommodate the devices of the the slave units, after bridging.

This way you will have two units, under the one, master unit dashboard.

Hi John, just to clarify if I use the Vera Lite on UI5 as the Master, the Z wave Plus devices on UI7 (Vera Edge) can be controlled by the Lite.

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 08:14:14 pm »
zedrally,

While this, in theory, should work, as it's done over upnp and not quite UI version dependent. Some issues might occur, for example with devices that use new integration files that are only present on UI7 and not present on UI5. Most likely these will not work at all.

However, this should work just fine, if you chose to do this from the Ui7, with Ui7 unit being the master one.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7