Author Topic: Possibility to choose icon  (Read 10335 times)

Offline chevdor

Re: Possibility to choose icon
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »
It is fine keeping it per device type but then the device types need to be refined our more configurable. Today squeeze boxes come as others for instance whereas I would love the ability to group such devices in some media group.
The sensor group also makes no senses.Many things are sensors but they differ.

Rooms should have also more properties such as floor number.

To summarize, Vera is a great box but it still misses the wow that some boxes bring today.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 01:19:16 am »
It would be a nice feature. But if it requires a lot of back end work as MCVFlorin mentioned earlier, outstanding bugs should come first before adding additional features.

- Garrett
Maybe in this particular case that is so as I am no programmer, but I disagree with the premise that we shouldn't work on the ugly bits of the UI until all the bugs are gone, that timetable may well include our childrens children   :P
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline garrettwp

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 02:54:07 am »
I am more referring to the bigger bugs and not stating that all the bugs need to be fixed. If what MCVFlorin says is true that it would require some big changes to the back end of the UI. This can and will cause newer bugs. I would rather see that the bigger bugs get fixed and the missing features that were in UI4 get implemented as well (e.g. sections put back).

- Garrett

Offline oTi@

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:49 am »
:) UI4 had an additional hierarchy level: sections. Personally, I use those to group things per floor / outside areas / control / state, etc. It never got stripped from the database, but there's no way to edit it anymore (except low level). It's supposed to get re-enabled in UI5.

[...] (e.g. sections put back).
Bug# 2338.
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline chevdor

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 02:35:30 pm »
I think the best for such usage is simply to use labels. If you use gmail you are probably familiar with those.

One could use for one device the labels: outside, security, shortlist, electricity. Then when displaying devices, a filter on the labels does the trick.

This allows you to non exclusively group devices.

Offline Brientim

• Beta Testers
  • Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 03:50:34 pm »
:) UI4 had an additional hierarchy level: sections. Personally, I use those to group things per floor / outside areas / control / state, etc. It never got stripped from the database, but there's no way to edit it anymore (except low level). It's supposed to get re-enabled in UI5.

[...] (e.g. sections put back).
Bug# 2338.

The ability of the system should be to mimic how we live and think. Normal asset structure is building, floor, room etc and then we refer to what is there. That is one of the things I like about another HA system is the flexibility to provide the logical layout of my home and add and select the icon to reflect how I want it to be visually represented. Have defaults but give some control to the owner in which is in line with the systems limitations.

E.g:
Floor, Room, and Type. Type is user definable and has a separate tabe to be linked to the icon. Either that or change the way we employ Category and SubCategory.

Offline ntense99

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 07:01:32 pm »
+ 1 from me. Also read my post for a suggestion on how to accomplish the UI portion of this feature :  http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,26079.msg184808.html

Offline jimmyhtz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 01:13:23 am »
It is interesting that VeraMate on my iPhone allows me to change icons, use custom icons, it can even accesses my photos for icons.
You can pick whatever you want as icons per device state, and if you wish, copy the setup to all of the same devices.
Why can't they do that here?

Offline SpringSnowman

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2014, 08:27:37 am »
The ability of the user to select icons for each device is very important; as important as being able to set the name of the device. I thought I was being dense when I couldn't find out how to do this.
Not being able to select device icons is the visual equivalent of having all switches called '_BinaryLightSwitch1' or something!
-----
Vera Lite Controller | TKB Home Smart Energy plug-in switch X 5 | Aeotec Micro Smart Energy Dimmer X 2 | Fabiro 4-in-1 'Eyeball' FGMS-001 Sensor

Offline DavidH

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
+1 even if we just got the basic option to show the difference between a power socket and a light and a few other common appliances that would be a start, just looks crap having a light bulb icon for the TV power socket. That's one reason I use ImperiHome I can at least change the icons so.

Offline LindsiWains

Possibility to choose icon
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 08:12:22 pm »
Is there any way to miminize DO Light to a tray icon - or, for that matter, to display a tray icon for DO Light? Im using Win 10, 64 bit.