We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: SQ Remote - Remote Access busted w/ UI4 (Now fixed in v2.0)  (Read 8283 times)

Offline exchguy

SQ Remote - Remote Access busted w/ UI4 (Now fixed in v2.0)
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »
I paid $50 for this app and very dissapointed that they are still not supporting UI4 for remote access. I am guessing becuase it only connects to Findvera and not cp.mios.com.

Of course, it is not documented on their site (wiki mentions nothing) so it would have been nice to know this before upgraded to UI4. Also, does anyone know what the future of this app is? This app has not been updated since April so it does not look like any new dev is happening on this thing?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:04:50 am by SquareConnectJohn »

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
Re: SQ Remote - Remote Access busted w/ UI4
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 04:14:20 pm »
A huge update (2.0) is coming shortly, which provides full UI4 functionality. 

In all fairness to Square Connect, UI4 is just now being released to the public.  It's hard to expect that SQ Remote would be UI4 compatible BEFORE UI4's release.

Anyway, the 2.0 release of SQ Remote has a lot of nice new features, and is worth the wait 
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline exchguy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:54:06 pm »
Thanks. Nice to know the update is coming :)

Offline Phibar

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:41 pm »
You guys do know that squareconnect is practically the same company as MCV right? So this makes it near inexcusable.
Vera2 1xtrane thermostat

Offline TheGadgetGuy

• Technology Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 01:34:40 pm »
@Phibar:  Where did you come up with that theory??  Sorry to tell you, but AFAIK, your statement is incorrect.
"Lots of Z wave switches by various companies", 8 Panasonic IP cameras, 4 Schlage locks, 2 Kwikset locks, 3 Z-wave thermometers, 2 5 button Cooper scene controllers, etc.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 02:14:28 pm »
They are separate companies, but they do talk to each other (which is a good thing)

;-)

Offline Gerenb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 07:39:41 pm »
TheGadgetGuy - could you summarize the new features? I think a lot of people are interested.

Offline Phibar

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 10:16:53 am »
I've seen multiple threads stating they work together and together originally came up with the entire concept.  They are separate entitys yes but from what I understood they both worked on Mios.  Which is what vera basically IS.
Vera2 1xtrane thermostat

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:24:24 pm »
I've seen multiple threads stating they work together and together originally came up with the entire concept.  They are separate entitys yes but from what I understood they both worked on Mios.  Which is what vera basically IS.

They have the same working relationship that the iVera, HomeBuddy and now AutoHTN lads have.  They're separate companies with an overlap of interests.

First public demo of the SQRemote-for-Vera was ~Sep2009.  They have a version for another home control app, which you'll see in the AppleStore as well, as well as their more recent focus on "The Puck"...

The downside here is that UI4 significantly changed the "remote" interface to Vera, and it looks like all the Control Points have a level of re-implementation to do, but that's part of using a Beta release.

I've seen multiple threads stating they work together and together originally came up with the entire concept

I haven't seen references to working together on the concept itself, apart from MCV's desired to get more "Control Points" (Remote Controls, various types) out into the field, which we're now starting to see (which is nice).

Offline Phibar

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:56 pm »
The issue really doesnt matter...

If I had sometime I'd try and find the original thread regarding this,  i didn't come up with this on my own and I could have completely misconceived what was said .  I'm really not a wacko I promise...i hope.
Vera2 1xtrane thermostat

Offline SquareConnectJohn

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 03:30:01 am »
THis is a very interesting conversation!

I am one of the founders of Square Connect, so this is from the horses mouth!

We are not part of MiOS or Mi Casa Verde, and there are no ties between the two companies. We were introduced to MCV during the time we were developing SQ REmote for its original (and main purpose) to be a universal remote control for your entertainment equipment. We sidelined this development to collaborate with MCV and to integrate Vera as we felt it was an excellent match for our app. (That is perhaps why some of the areas of the app may seem less than intuitive...)

We have NEVER worked on the MiOS engine (or Vera engine). That is 100% MCV/MiOS. We do communicate regarding how certain things work, but that is the limit of any technical involvement.

V2.0 of SQ Remote brings full integration with our first hardware product - the SQ Blaster, which is a Wi-Fi to IR bridge, looks great in your living room, and allows you to control all your infrared based equipment (TV's etc). It includes 2 IR databases, Advanced IR learning, Macros (that also allow you to fire Vera scenes) and a lot of other features. With the new version of SQ Remote and an SQ Blaster unit you will be able to control all your equipment (Lights, TV, DVD, Windows etc etc),  all from your iPhone or other  Apple iDevice.

More info on this VERY soon!

John

Square Connect Co-Founder

Offline Boyo

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:41 am »
@John

You mention that you will be able to trigger scenes using Macros for the puck but will Vera itself be able to control it? Is it open enough that anything will be able to control it or will it be locked to SQRemote?

Vera UI4 1.1.1183; Schalge Link Door Handle; HA18WD 3-Way/Single-Pole Switch x2; WDHA-12R - Wireless Gateway Module; Trane Thermostat; Retired: WDTC-20 - Z-Wave Enabled Thermostat

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:09 am »
@Boyo,
I wrote a simple adapter/plugin that lets folks "sub-out" a USB-UIRT with a Puck, so anything that was previously controllable through Vera, with the USB-UIRT, could be controlled with a Puck instead.  This plugin makes the Puck "look" like a USB-UIRT to Vera (so it shows up under the IR Dropdown lists in Vera's UI)

That said, I only use it for basic "All Off" type scenes, since using the SQRemote itself is much better overall in terms of integration.

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 01:07:04 pm »
I am really looking forward to the puck details. This will be the perfect hardware for my movie theatre room that is in the building process. Hopefully the price will be right!

- Garrett

Offline SquareConnectJohn

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 01:03:16 am »
@Boyo

You mention that you will be able to trigger scenes using Macros for the puck but will Vera itself be able to control it? Is it open enough that anything will be able to control it or will it be locked to SQRemote?

It is our intention to have an open API to allow other applications, including Vera, to control SQ Blaster (the Pucks official name). At the moment that API is still in development, and yes we have started discussions with MiOS (MCV) on exposing the Puck to Vera (and other MiOS systems) so that this will be controllable through your Vera system etc...

Square Connect Co-Founder