Author Topic: Access point not hiding name.  (Read 629 times)

Offline Quixote

Access point not hiding name.
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:43:37 pm »
Does anyone here know whe MCV is planning on addressing the issue that causes the access points on the Vera to broadcast its names even when "Hidden" is selected.
I see this as a vulnerability for my entire network, especially considering I live right beside a high school.
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person.

Offline JoeTomasone

Re: Access point not hiding name.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:49:22 am »
Quite frankly, hidden networks aren't *truly* hidden, and can be found out pretty easily.   It's not security in any real sense of the term.

Offline Quixote

Re: Access point not hiding name.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 04:16:03 am »
I understand that it's a very weak way to add "security", but it does add a small additional preventive measure against script kiddies and other wannabe hackers that may mess with my network. I understand that the best thing I could do is turn off wireless altogether, but that's not an option since I'm using LIFX bulbs that communicate over a wifi access point.
I suppose the second best solution is a strong wifi password and using a good encryption method, but I'm hesitant to change my password and reconnect the bulbs because I was having major difficulty in adding them and now that everything is working as intended I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to connect them again.  :/

So, yeah, I'd rather just hide my network name from the 400 kids across the street for now.
My "Karma" has been modified by 2 or 3 douchebags that didn't like that I criticized the plugin that they worship. I'm not actually a bad person.