Author Topic: Removing plugin does not remove files  (Read 349 times)

Offline dbemowsk

Removing plugin does not remove files
« on: January 11, 2017, 12:54:19 am »
I would think that when a plugin is uninstalled, the luup files that are installed with the plugin should also be removed.  There is not an easy way to remove these files, so they sit there taking up valuable space.  Sure, I can SSH into the box and manually remove the files, but who wants to do that every time they uninstall a plugin, especially those people that are not comfortable remoting into their Vera.  Plus, I would need to know exactly which files were installed by the plugin to know exactly what to remove.

Offline reneboer

Re: Removing plugin does not remove files
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 05:28:45 am »
If you look at the device attributes for device_file and device_json and impl_file before you delete the plugin or the device created by the plugin you have a good idea of the files it uses. Then you can remove them from the /etc/cmh-ludl folder. If you happen to delete a file inuse by a still active plugin your Vera will download it again. So it is relative save. But do not complain to me if your box starts to play-up after manually deleting files  8) use at your own risk.

Never delete from an other places unless you really know what you are doing.

But I agree it would be nice if Vera added it as standard logic now space has become such an issue.

Cheers Rene
2xVeraLite, VeraEdge, openLuup, ALTUI, 20 switches, 10 dimmers, 20 sensors, 10 scene controllers, 1 Harmony Hub, many plug-ins. Not enough time.

Offline dbemowsk

Re: Removing plugin does not remove files
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 06:11:54 am »
@reneboer I get it that I can manually delete the files.  you said "Never delete from an other places unless you really know what you are doing."  This is precisely why this is needed.  For someone that purchases a Vera unit and isn't familiar with SSH would be screwed, or would have to contact support every time.

With UI7 coming standard on all new units, and the fact that the plugin list does not clearly state which UI some of the plugins are designed for, people are going to run into this issue.  I am new to Vera and I have a linux and a programming background, so I can muddle through a lot of this, but an average user would not be so lucky.  I have tested a few plugins now that after installing them it was clear that they had not been tested in UI7, so I ended up deleting them.  Being new to Vera, I had initially assumed that uninstalling the plugin would do this, but after looking through the list of luup files after trying and uninstalling a couple, it was clear that it did not.

That brings me to another point, it would be nice if the plugin list made a clear indication of whether it was only for UI5 or had also been tested and was known working in UI7 also.  I do realize that some of that would be up to the individual third party plugin developer, but the Vera team could list what plugins were out at the release of a new UI and give developers the option of specifically stating that it is compatible with the newer UI.