Author Topic: Soil Moisture Detection  (Read 771 times)

Offline clippermiami

Soil Moisture Detection
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:58:01 pm »
I'm looking for a existing ZWave Soil Moisture solution to control my drip irrigation for the plantings in front of the house. My drip system has a ZWave Aeon Labs On/Off Relay to control a solenoid that opens the drip feed on a scheduled basis but I'd like to have a way to run it only if there is no enough moisture.

There doesn't appear to be an off-the-shelf ZWave device so I was thinking about a flood/moisture sensor. I have an Everspring Flood Sensor in the Air Conditioner drain line to detect if it gets clogged and the condensation runoff backs up. But i don't know if these devices will work with less than truly wet conditions, ie. moist soil. And is there a way to adjust them up/down or are the simply all-or-nothing devices.

Has anyone tried this and can offer some advice. At present I'm thinking about cobbling together an Arduino solution but i'd rather have a straight ZWave solution.
Two Vera Plus UI7 Linked via HTTP, 90+ Devices. PlugIns: PLEG, DSC, Blue Iris, MySensors,  AutoVera, ImperiHome, VeraAlerts, EventWatcher

Offline rafale77

Re: Soil Moisture Detection
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:16 pm »
I started a couple of years ago with plantlink. There is an app for it on the vera for the hub itself but is a zigbee device. The device type is a bit complicated to link the sensors to the vera plus directly since there is no support/device type so the app works quite well.
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline futanare

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:56:46 am »
Hi clippermiami,

I also have requirements where having varying types of moisture sensors tied into Vera would be really helpful. My biggest use case is to detect low/high soil moisture thresholds and then trigger the irrigation system if needed.

At a quick glance, there appear to be some arduino-based options. I've never really built one though, but am considering taking on a mini project to cobble together sensor, arduino, and z-wave (if that is possible), then write a plugin for Vera.

Any further ideas / thoughts since your original post in Jan 2017 ?

Online akbooer

• Master Member
  • "Less is more"
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:18:01 pm »
@futanare

Very sadly, you will not get a reply to this post from the OP.  This will explain...
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,48421.msg318510.html#msg318510
3x Vera Lite-UI5/Edge-UI7, 25x Fibaro, 23x TKB, 9x MiniMote, 2x NorthQ Power, 2x Netatmo, 1x Foscam FI9831P.
Razberry, MySensors Arduino, HomeWave, AltUI, DataYours, openLuup, ZWay, ZeroBrane Studio.