Author Topic: Interest in a new Virtual Thermostat plugin with PID control etc.?  (Read 804 times)

Offline reardencode

I've written most of (in that it works for my needs) a Virtual Thermostat plugin that I've used to replace my "smart" WiFi thermostat and make my house more comfortable.

I'm curious if people would be interested in a donation-ware version of this plugin if I brought it up to general purpose plugin status.

With the previous thermostat, my home fluctuated by 4f even though our modulating furnace is capable of rapid cycling and holding a much tighter band, my plugin holds the temperature within 1.5f and I think I can get tighter with a tiny bit more turning of the cycle length.

The proposed functionality would be:
  • Customizable PID temperature control to maintain setpoint as close as your system is capable
  • Customizable minimum cycle length (/cycles per hour) for heat and cool
  • Request heat/cool/fan/fresh-air-damper by activating any urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1 (You can use virtual switches and scenes to have this drive thermostat setpoints/modes)
  • Monitor any number of urn:upnp-org:serviceId:TemperatureSensor1 devices and use their average as the home temperature
  • Optionally monitor urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1 devices to detect when heat/cool/fan/fresh-air-damper are actually active (vs. requested)
  • Optionally (if your temperature sensor(s) are slow, as mine are) estimate actual home temperature between readings
  • Select high fan speed via any urn:upnp-org:serviceId:SwitchPower1

Other features that I'd implement if sufficient demand (and willing testers) exists:
  • Multi-stage heat/cool control
  • Zone control
  • Boiler valve position control
  • Your feature here

For my personal setup, I completely replaced the "smart" thermostat with a Fortrezz MiMo2+, an Enerwave dual relay, and a Zooz multisensor.  I wired the MiMo2+ and the Enerwave to the furnace control box (with bypass wires going to a $10 manual thermostat for backup).  I also used one of the inputs of the MiMo2+ wired to a small transformer on the furnace's humidifier AC output to detect when it's actually heating.

My only complaint with this setup is that the multisensor's temperature updates are too infrequent, even after adjusting its parameters (does anyone have a line on a good hardwired temperature sensor that I could poll regularly?).

Thanks for reading!

Offline jbresee

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Interest in a new Virtual Thermostat plugin with PID control etc.?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 12:42:26 pm »
Here is what I need:

A virtual thermostat that monitors a physical thermometer (say, an Everspring st814), and turns on / off a physical zwave thermostat (like a Zwave trane).

I've cobbled this together, but would love something more elegant.

Jim

Offline reardencode

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:02:42 pm »
That's almost exactly what I started with (Nest + Zooz ZSE40).

Do you need heat and cool support?

What kind of heating system are you controlling?

Offline jbresee

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:37:19 am »
That's almost exactly what I started with (Nest + Zooz ZSE40).

Do you need heat and cool support?

What kind of heating system are you controlling?

I have a forced hot air furnace with a trane swage thermostat. It does have AC, and it would be cool to be able to control that as well.
Thanks!

Offline kulfsson

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 06:18:12 am »
I would be interested in this. I currently use the Anthor Virtual Thermostat and it sort of works for me, but it sometimes get's a bit stuck on the set temperature and will not update properly. I am also currently playing around with Alexa and I would be interested in being able to control a thermostat with her.

Offline lazerthomas

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 07:49:03 am »
I fully endorese the teriffic idea of  a donationware thermostat development.  My self would very much like to see a a thermostat plugin for vera that vould be able to control wallplugs - for electric heaters or relays for, either electric or hydronic, underfloor heating. Currently I'm experimenting with Danfoss Romsensor RSZ (014g0160) as roomsensor and setpoint controller. Runs on two AA batteries. Aeonlabs multisensor 6 connected to USB-power works fine, but running the same sensor on batteries, two CR123a, is extremely expensive.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 01:00:30 pm »
Auto Virtual Thermostat will control anything that can be switched on a regular Z-Wave switch/wall plug or relay (window AC unit, portable heater, etc.).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:03:12 pm by rigpapa »
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, SiteSensor, and Auto Virtual Thermostat plugins. Using Vera Plus (1.7.3232), Vera3 (1.7.855), 50 dimmers and 40 switches (mostly Leviton, some Linear and GE), a dozen sensors, a truckload of PLEG, and of course, my own plugins.

Offline kulfsson

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 09:09:06 pm »
I myself just saw this Auto Virtual Thermostat, but I see some issues with for my own use. It seems that the thermostat only supports Fahrenheit, or at least I haven?t found the way to change it.

A feature I use quite a lot on the Smart Virtual Thermostat are the 2 modes, Eco and Comfort. I switch my electric heaters to Eco during the night and times away. I can?t see how I would do anything similar with the Smart Virtual Thermostat.

Also, Alexa integration with a way to raise and lower temps in my rooms would be nice.

Offline rigpapa

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
Auto wasn't intended to replace Smart. I was in touch with the developer for Smart, and he's given me permission to upgrade it, and that project has been under way for a month or two. But it took him a while to get back to me, and in that dead period, I figured I'd start building something else, just in case he wasn't responsive. But after a couple of weeks, he did reply. So, I finished Auto, and started updating Smart.

At this point, my goal is to integrate the two, and probably have Auto go away.

Thanks for the input. More coming soon.
Author of Rachio, Deus Ex Machina II, SiteSensor, and Auto Virtual Thermostat plugins. Using Vera Plus (1.7.3232), Vera3 (1.7.855), 50 dimmers and 40 switches (mostly Leviton, some Linear and GE), a dozen sensors, a truckload of PLEG, and of course, my own plugins.

Offline kulfsson

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 06:45:40 am »
Great news. Really looking forward to a new version of Smart and I really like your implementation of the settings tab on your Auto project.

Offline d55m14

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 06:33:49 am »
Hi,

I'm very interested too

Offline cokeman

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 07:26:57 am »
Sounds nice.

I'm looking for a system that can "zone" my house, and adjust my Danfoss LC-13 in the zone (some with offset). and also have a safety feature, that upon lua reload, will check and adjust the LC-13 that did not get the command before the reload.