We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Puck Ordered!  (Read 20318 times)

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
Re: Puck Ordered!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »
Thanks @guessed, I appreciate your response. I'll definitely do the bulk of control from SQRemote, but being able to make sure everything is OFF at the end of the night, or turn on my stereo and set the right input to go with my dinner time scene will be awesome.
Yeap, that's the primary use-case for the Plugin.  It's the one that @strangely has also.

Similarly, things integrated through Vera's AV/Media Control (like my Panasonic TV, Onkyo Amp, and Matrix Switch) Plugins can also get invoked directly by SQRemote.  I use SQBlaster, combined with my Panasonic and Onkyo Amp plugins, for a blended control experience.

From SQRemote it all looks the same, but they handle "Press-and-Hold" (etc) much better for direct-drive IR devices via their SQBlaster

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 03:57:57 am »
One question before I try to get this unit.  Although, I appreciate the simplicity of the unit and the wood finish, I am more on the modern side, so glass, metal and dark wood are part of my home theater.  Not asking to redesign the unit, but what if  I was to paint the wood portion of the unit to make it blend in with my equipment, do I invalidate any sort of warranty?  Will it affect the performance of the unit if the wood gets painted?  From what I see on the website, the IR emitters/receivers and power are only on the middle portion of the SQ Blaster, and the wood is just a casing, so my immediate assumption is that I can do anything to change the color of the wooden portion, but I would appreciate an answer on this matter from SQ Connect.

I suspect our lawyers would have a seriously expensive conversation with me if I asked them about our liability if I give an unqualified 'go ahead'...

So I won't ask them, and give you a bit of a weasily answer: We will always try to be reasonable about ensuring that our customers are delighted in our products and service and treat any situation on a case by case basis. That being said:

Clearly, refinishing the case would invalidate the waranty on the case and inserts used to fasten the device together.

To refinish the case I think you would be wise to remove the electronics first. Damage caused by a new finish leaking onto the electronics would also invalidate the waranty.

Like any electronics, there is a risk of damage to the circuit boad if you remove it from the case, and any damage obviously caused by this would not be covered. Damage caused by static build up might also void the waranty.

To new finishes. The only issue I might see is that the antenna is internal, so any metallic finish or finish that includes Mica (or any other material that blocks radio waves) might reduce the signal strength. Our manufacturer adds a lacquer finish as part of the manufacturing, and I think you would want to strip that before you refinished it.

Mat

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 03:59:25 am »
Was about to order but, as mentioned above, no shipping to Canada.

When do you think you'll be able to accept orders from the Great North?

Mike

We are checking on what regulatory hoops we have to jump through... Sign up in the international section of our site to receive notification when we are able to ship...

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 04:15:19 am »
Matt, just a few more questions

1.  So just to be clear, I can buy 1 puck and have both the External IR Blaster Cable and the 3 Head IR Emitter Cable attached via a splitter?

Yes that works reasonably well.

2.  Is the Splitter just a standard headphone splitter?

Yes... but the opening in the case is rather narrow... You need a narrow plug. Many of the bulkier splitters dont fit. We have one that fits on our site.
3.  Looks like the USB is standard power as well, can I just plug that into say my NAS box for power?

Yes... although it needs to be 'on' all the time. It is why we sell the blaster with or without a power supply. Unnecessary wall warts are such a waste of resource.

4.  Do you have a DB of the IR codes I can search?

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, add a 'dummy' SQBlaster  to SQRemote 2 and then add a device to it. the full database is included in the app.

5.  Will the codes be local to the ipod?

The codes are local to the iPod and the devices you have set up can be saved to Box.net and then shared across devices, or just as a backup.
6.  How do you configure wi-fi settings? A big annoyance with the harmony is having to keep all of my settings on the logitech server and having to plug in the repeater and remote to my computer to sync each time.  I hope it all gets off-loaded to the ipod.

Which network and how to connect are held on the blaster as it needs to be able to power off and reconnect to your network without reconfiguring it. You can, however change those settings from the iPod/iPhone/iPad or by pluggin it into a mac or PC via the USB cable.
All of this looks very promising and If I can stick to one puck I'm in.  Just waiting for my ipod touch to ship!

Thanks

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 04:18:01 am »
Wow, can't wait to get my hands on one.  No wait... I need 2... whoa - I could benefit from 4!   Ouch, that get's a bit pricey.   But, then, think about being able to remotely control every single IR device in my house with a single controller.  Nice!

SquareConnect - how about throwing in a discount on 2 or more when ordered at the same time?

Not a bad idea. I'll talk to John and the rest of the team.

Mat

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 04:20:41 am »
When will the SQ Blaster be availible in the netherlands.

Amazon cannot ship the blsater to the netherlands

Unfortunately same issue as Canada. Regulatory hoops. Europe requires us to pay an annual recycling fee to for every individual country we ship too... plus paper work etc. Plus testing... plus plus plus

We get a lot of inquiries form the Netherlands, so you are high on the list for our operations guy to get the process started.

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 04:30:08 am »
I realize this question might seem very obvious to those of you whom have already been controlling IR devices from the Vera, but can you confirm for the rest of us that we will be able to issue commands directly to the puck from Vera scenes, in addition to controlling it from the SQRemote app?

I accept that most of the control I will want to do will be from the iOS remotes, but I'd also like to include such basic things like "turn all the AV stuff off" into my good night/leave the house scene which is triggered by something other than SQ Connect.

Thanks!

Guessed has kindly written a plugin as he mentions elsewhere in the thread. MiCasaVerde are also in the process of putting in 'native' support for SQ Blaster.

It is theoretically possible to take a device configuration that has been created on SQRemote, saved to box.net and manually create a file that the Plugin that Guessed created can use. All the IR codes for that device, including any learnt codes are held in a fairly straight forward XML file. I believe John has updated our wiki with details on the file format etc. If we havn't quite got that posted yet, and anyone needs it, put in a ticket on Square Connects support site.

Offline fall-line

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »
Thanks you SquareConnectMat for all of your detailed responses to our inquiries. It is a breath of fresh air, and I feel very confident having pre-ordered my puck!

Offline Gerenb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »
As discussed in this thread, an extremely useful feature would be a "macro" capability either native to SQ Remote or functional via a Vera scene. It is really a very important feature in order to easily turn the TV on, switch to the DVD input and turn on the DVD player if you want to watch a DVD. This is really an old school scenario since most people stream video now but there are many other examples.

I intend to order the Puck this weekend. I'm sure this functionality will eventually be added.  :)

Offline SquareConnectJohn

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 09:16:08 pm »
As discussed in this thread, an extremely useful feature would be a "macro" capability

Macros are included in the latest version of SQ Remote - and this is fully integrated into the Blaster experience. You can set up a macro to blast IR codes with a user defined delay between blasts, and the number of repeats for each code that is sent. it also allows you to include initiating scenes from Vera so your setup can also include dimming lights etc as your equipment comes on.

You can test your macros as soon as you have put them together - and then add any normal (non-MiOS) control to a control pad and assign a macro to it!

iJohn
Square Connect Co-Founder

Offline Gerenb

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 11:47:35 pm »
That's great news. I'm really looking forward to adding it into the mix. ;D

Offline tt55du

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 10:21:27 pm »
So I just upgraded my firmware and got the free SQ version to work.  Fairly happy so far, SQ is very responsive.  Still getting used to the new way of controlling and other than limited icon library and not being able to re-size I'm impressed.

So my question is if buying the puck gets me the full software?

I want to buy the full version, but if the puck gives it to me I'll wait.

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 11:32:39 pm »
So I just upgraded my firmware and got the free SQ version to work.  Fairly happy so far, SQ is very responsive.  Still getting used to the new way of controlling and other than limited icon library and not being able to re-size I'm impressed.

Glad you like the responsiveness... We spent a LOT of time optimizing the network interaction. Icon library will only get better....

So my question is if buying the puck gets me the full software?

I want to buy the full version, but if the puck gives it to me I'll wait.

The puck will 'unlock' the full software.

Mat

Offline tt55du

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 12:33:54 am »
fantastic, your hard work really shows and it looks like you have a very solid core rather than kludges slopped together.

So if I put in the order now, will there be a way to unlock the sw prior to the puck arriving?  I would love to setup my other devices now.

Offline SquareConnectMat

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 12:40:09 am »
fantastic, your hard work really shows and it looks like you have a very solid core rather than kludges slopped together.

So if I put in the order now, will there be a way to unlock the sw prior to the puck arriving?  I would love to setup my other devices now.

I am very sorry there really isn't any way. It is very difficult for us to give a rebate either as apple takes their cut and don't do refunds...

Mat