Author Topic: Too much security delegation to a remote server  (Read 11470 times)

Offline futzle

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
Re: Too much security delegation to a remote server
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 04:20:40 am »
Any thoughts on avoiding that dashboard delay?

The disappearance of the "Loading data in progress" popup coincides with the conclusion of the /www/cgi-bin/cmh/get_version.sh script.  If you short-circuit this script so that it prints the "NO_UPGRADE" result you may be able to get interactivity more quickly, and without having to have net access.

I haven't looked closely at the script, but there is a call to curl in there, so it's conceivable that this is the cause of the delay.

Offline Ambrotos

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Too much security delegation to a remote server
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 03:12:03 pm »
Progress, but not quite.

The /mios mount is obviously read-only, so I removed the symbolic link to get_version.sh and copied it from /mios/www/cgi-bin/cmh. Then I edited the local copy and changed 3 things:
1. on line 45, I changed it to " got_on_date=$(date +%s)", that way it always thinks it checked the version already today.
2. Starting on line 51 I commented out the execution of the InternetOk binary
3. Lastly, I commented out the if block starting on line 115 to verify that $LatestVersion exists and isn't null.

So, now the get_version script exits immediately, and I've cut the dashboard delay in half. Also, I never get the error prompting me to reconfigure my internet connection. There's still something timing out though. From the logs, I suspect it's the networkMonitor binary, which is called by the /usr/bin/Start_NetworkMonitor.sh script. I can't be sure however, as it doesn't log as verbosely, and I obviously can't edit the binary to insert logging :)

Any thoughts?

Andrew