Author Topic: Double switch & double load control?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline rge

Double switch & double load control?
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:59:08 am »
Can anyone recommend a double wall switch that controls two loads?

The TKB Home switches look OK, and they're good value, but the double one only controls one load so would need an extra relay, making it more expensive and less technophobe-proof.

The MCO Home touch panel ones look cool, and they control one load for each button, but they're really expensive "per switch" in the single version.

Offline j1ll123

Re: Double switch & double load control?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:55:33 pm »
I believe that there are not any double switch plate versions for two loads. You would need a relay behind a standard plate  but your problem will probably be depth of box behind the plate. Check that out first. Then, check if you have a neutral there too. If not you will be severely limited.

Offline rge

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:47:06 pm »
Thanks, but I know for sure there are double switch versions such as the MCO Home ones (which come in 1, 2 or 4 switches, all controlling at least the same number of loads directly) - my question was just whether there are any others?

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:18:41 am »
You didn't mention if this US or U.K. Frequency and/or gang box style and size.  If you are looking for a US one gang that can control two loads, This type of z-wave device is exceedingly rare.  The only other one that I know of is the LEVITON VRCS2-MRZ VIZIA RF+ 2 BUTTON SCENE CONTROLLER, which is also a high priced switch, or the MCO which you found which until now I have never heard of or seen mention of before so no guarantee it will work with Vera.

If you really need two loads in one box (aka putting two switches where there is normally 1).  Your  cheapest route is probably keeping the dual switch you already have and adding to it a dual relay in the box.  Fibaro and others make these. Just look for a dual relay.

Offline rge

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:41 am »
Thanks - those Leviton ones look smart.

I'm in Switzerland, so it's European voltage & frequency (although everything I've seen supports both); the US double switches seem to be arranged vertically in an oblong box, whereas European ones are side by side in a square box so they wouldn't fit.  Of course the sizes in EU, UK and CH are different, but they're close enough that a bit of adjustment should make them OK.

My current switches are old and ugly, so it seemed to make sense to just Z-Wave the whole thing in one go, and also the relays seem really expensive when the TKB Home switches are actually cheaper!

I guess people want switches to match their decor, and the Z-Wave kit will never have enough variety, so people go the relay route.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 07:20:30 am »
Just looked at the MCO Home ones. They look very nice and its good to see that that support association groups for when Vera is having a hissy fit. I do note however that they do not mention instant status, which is a shame. The association group 3 is used to send status update to Vera but this is not as good as instant status. It does miss status changes quite often.
I personally have TKB at the moment (I bought a batch of double switches and dimmers at 15 UKP each) but on future projects I will look at instant status type units.
If it turns out that the MCO Homes ones do support instant status and work on Vera I will definitely buy them.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Offline rge

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 08:01:53 am »
Thanks for that - I wasn't aware of instant status and just assumed everything worked that way, the alternative would be horrible from a user experience viewpoint.

Offline Slartibartfast

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 03:05:37 pm »
Don't misunderstand. TKB do NOT have instant status either. In general, instant status is not as common as you might hope. Lack of this on my TKB has not really been a problem as I use the association to control secondary lights and for three way lighting control. I do use the polled status to control bathroom fans for on and off but as I have a delayed start and delayed stop, the delay for Vera to see the status change does not cause much of a problem. If you want to control scenes from the light switches (things you cannot do via association) then do not accept anything without instant status.
Devon UK 240V 50Hz
Now on Homeseer

Online zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 03:09:39 pm »
If you are looking for the EURO look, I'd use any double relay that supports instance status (Philio, BlackCat. Fibario etc) PLUS suitable TEM switches for that can be arranged in either Vertical or Horizontal.

www.tem.si or www.temelectrical.com.au
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's a Black Cat Dimmer or 2, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors, Broadlink RMPro & Mini plus a Z-UNO or 2.

Offline rge

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 11:10:07 am »
I've come back to this after some experience using Fibaro relays.

Why doesn't Vera support double relays properly??  I think every company makes a double equivalent of their switches, and for in-wall mounting they're ideal.

Forum searches seem to show HomeSeer, OpenHab and Fibaro HC having no problems, so when are Vera going to fix this?

The Fibaro ones kind-of work after you've hacked the params and as long as you don't want energy monitoring on the second channel, which isn't really good enough.

Offline Priest

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 09:18:21 am »
The enerwave double relays work correctly out of the box, no fiddling with parameters to fix it, they just work.

Offline rge

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 10:05:19 am »
The enerwave double relays work correctly out of the box, no fiddling with parameters to fix it, they just work.

Thanks, unfortunately they don't seem to do a Europe version.

Offline Priest

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 01:03:09 pm »

Thanks, unfortunately they don't seem to do a Europe version.

Crap...im sorry. I've not ever looked at which manufacturers crossed over and make the versions for other markets.  I dont know why they dont all do it..... it isnt really that difficult to put things on different frequency.  I guess it has to do with getting certified by the regulating bodies.

Offline litby

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 01:15:29 pm »
Maybe too late for the OP but the

Zwave.Me Double Relay Switch Everlux ZME_05432

can still be found although it is discontinued. I have many and they are excellent, and manual switches, outlets etc are widely available. Every switch and outlet in my house has been replaced with Everluxe, more than 50 total.

Offline otolosa

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 09:28:01 pm »
What about this

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZJ7FR7rE

Anyone tried something like that?