We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: CT101 can't set mode, Vera can't detect  (Read 1469 times)

Offline jschaffe

• Sr. Newbie
CT101 can't set mode, Vera can't detect
« on: January 26, 2017, 11:12:20 am »
I purchased two CT101's from Lowe's last week.  I had some difficulties but got them both installed and working (battery only, no C wire) and configured in my Vera Edge.  I had some challenges getting scheduled scenes set up, but I arrived at a reasonable initial approach, which I documented in a previous post, and they seem to be working so far.

However, I have two recurring problems.

First, Vera frequently reports "Can't detect device" on one or the other or both.  I have over a dozen other wired switches, dimmers and a controller around the house, and both thermostats are within 30 feet from the Vera.  What's weird is that I can change the temperature, and it takes, clearing the detection fault, but it's annoying to see the red alerts, and I fear that it could prevent my scenes from operating.  Any ideas what's going on and how to stop it?

The second issue is that I can set the mode on the upstairs thermostat from Vera (which incidentally also clears the detection fault), but not the downstairs one.  This is quite annoying, since I can set the temperature but not the mode.  Again, any idea what's happening here?

Offline Don Phillips

Re: CT101 can't set mode, Vera can't detect
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »
First, Vera frequently reports "Can't detect device" on one or the other or both.  I have over a dozen other wired switches, dimmers and a controller around the house, and both thermostats are within 30 feet from the Vera.  What's weird is that I can change the temperature, and it takes, clearing the detection fault, but it's annoying to see the red alerts, and I fear that it could prevent my scenes from operating.  Any ideas what's going on and how to stop it?

This seems to be common for some z-wave, battery devices.  I have 2 door sensors that do this all the time, although they function fine.
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline aschnell

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:45:18 pm »
I have 3 of these thermostats that used to work ok. Then one stopped polling, then a second. I have one that is fully functional and two that if set to poll error out like yours. Mine are hardwired and still dont respond properly. Pretty sure Vera code broke these. Mine do however work fine if i do a mode/temperature change. Annoying. Support has said for years they would fix these, they also dont get humidity from them which does actually exist and can be read.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:45:41 pm »
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:48:56 pm by Don Phillips »
Vera 3, 1.7.1040, CT101, Everspring Motion, GE/Jasco Switch/Dimmer, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa, Zooz 4-1

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 08:54:33 am »
My Lowe's model has been fine for a couple years, operating under battery power (old HVAC) and line power (new HVAC) on both vera 3/ui5 and vera plus ui7.

And the humidity settings above worked for me on ui7. I don't know if it's right, but it works. :)

Offline them8os

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »
Reviving this old thread as I think I know 'why' this occurs.  Just not how to prevent it.  Google had suprisingly few hits on the few terms CT101 and "Can't detect device".  Hope a reader comes along who does.

I had 4 CT100 thermostats.  I recently wanted to add two more for my final two zones.  Only CT101 was available; CT100 was no longer available from any reputable seller.

The CT101 setup the same in my Vera as the CT100 (no profile actually for the CT101 even with the new firmware; same for all?), all running on [LiIon rechargeable] batteries as there is no power line run to the locations.  But I began getting this same "Can't detect device" error.  And yes, I could still set the temperature.  Here is what I found at the bottom of the operators manual:

Z-Wave and Battery Power
When your thermostat is running on battery power, the Z-Wave radio will turn off to help conserve
battery life
. The CT101 Z-Wave radio module supports Z-Wave beaming, which allows other devices
in the network to wake up the Z-Wave module and accept commands, and then go back to sleep.
The node type is fixed during network inclusion. If C-Wire is not present and the thermostat is battery
powered during network inclusion, the thermostat will remain a frequent listening routing slave
(FLiRS) node until the thermostat is removed from the network via network exclusion.

What I haven't figured out is how to make my Vera Unit aware of this apparent feature, to prevent the "Can't detect device" side-effect.  Any reader(s) know?  Thank you if so.

Offline them8os

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 07:36:27 pm »

p.s. Okay, the only thing I found to squelch the not responding notifications is to set Polling to 0 [not blank/default].  Maybe this is well known by now.  I did not know. But in which case we lose feedback from the thermostat when temp is altered in person  (well, sometimes feedback; sometimes it does not.  no, I don't know wny).  Well, I choose that as the lesser evil.  Tho a good case can be made that it is not.