We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Re-pairing a WDTC-20  (Read 10162 times)

Offline sjolshagen

Re-pairing a WDTC-20
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:33:45 pm »
Hi,

I had some issues with one of my WDTC-20 thermostats and decided to delete it from my Vera2 (1047). That part went fine. However, I'm now unable to get it to re-appear (pair it again). I've followed the instructions on the Vera2 pages and tried both a "long" push on the bind key as well as a short and "really short" push. Nothing seems to make the "wave" for the Z-wave icon on the display of the WDTC-20 appear.

So the question; Is there some way to completely reset the thermostat and then pair it again?
Vera3/UI5 @ v1.5.622

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
Re: Re-pairing a WDTC-20
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »
When you deleted it, did you do this an exclude or a forced device removal? If it was a forced device removal then you should try to exclude it again and only do a really short push when you include it again. If you did an exclude, did you see the status change to say it had found something to exclude?

If you did it on the battery pack, then try it where your Vera normally sits (and is connected) and try it through the web interface as a full power exclude through the add remove device button in the top left of the page... once you've clicked the Zwave button, you'll have to scroll to the bottom to see the full or low power options. If this doesnt work then I suggest maybe getting a long LAN cable and plugging the whole thing in near the thermostat and trying again.
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline sjolshagen

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:16:47 pm »
Actually, I did a "Remove Dead Node" on the device in the UI. It seems like the WDTC-20 "bind" button refuses to work though.
Vera3/UI5 @ v1.5.622

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 12:20:16 am »
Remove Dead Node is what I meant by forced device removal... You need to really exclude it properly as the thermostat will still think its included in a network and will not re-include despite the fact you are trying to re-include it with the original controller. Using the remove dead node is really only intended for devices that are actually dead and therefore cant be excluded. Exclusion is normally done for most devices in the same way that Inclusion is done via the same button generally and there are times when you may even have do it for new devices first, even if they are so say "New"!

If you have a hand held remote or a Vera1 Aeon dongle then exclusion can also be done from that too as it doesn't have to be the original device.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 12:23:26 am by strangely »
Kwickset locks, HA01C, HA14C, HA02C, HA03C, HA05C, HA04C, HA07C, HA09C, Aeon HEM, GE 45604, 45606, 45609, ZDP100, VRF01-1LZ, WDTC-20, HA18WD, WDHA-12R, HRDS1, HM-TS001, AC1-ZW, TV-IP110, BL-C210A, LUUP control- EtherRain8, DSC Alarm, HDMI matrix, HR24-200, Panasonic TV, SQblaster

Offline sjolshagen

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:05:19 am »
Tried using the Vera1 dongle, but it seems like the WDTC-20 isn't wanting to cooperate in excluding itself :(.

Is there some way to completely reset the device (WDTC-20)? I've left it w/o power & batteries overnight, but still see the Z-wave icon (w/o the "wave" part) on the display (I thought, when the device isn't bound to any network, the icon is missing completely) and absolutely nothing happens when I hit the "bind" button.

Am wondering if the thermostat is damaged somehow and I should order a new one (which will irritate me a little since it's only been in service for under a year).
Vera3/UI5 @ v1.5.622

Offline zmistro

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:30:00 am »
As others have stated you will need to exlude/remove the device. Performing a remove dead node does nothing if the node still is alive, all it does is screw up the network.

Using a controller from another network does not help either. Youmust always add/remove from the network that you included the device in the first place.

Please for your own good perform a remove node from your Vera 1 too.
Start with batteries installed and Vera's plugged into your Lan . From the Web GUI perform the remove zwave  node/ device. DO OT USE REMOVE DEAD NODE.
Watch the screen make sure the device was found and removed. After you have done this then include it in your Vera using the Web GUI. Make sure it finds the node.

This should do the trick. If you tried adding these devices too many times like you have stated you may have corrupted your zwave network. You may need to remove all Zwave devices from the network and start over. Remember you can only include a device into one Zwave network. Choose either of your Vera's but not both.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 11:48:44 am »
Using a controller from another network does not help either. Youmust always add/remove from the network that you included the device in the first place.

@zmistro, this is not a true statement, you can exclude with any controller that supports exclusion and it does not have to be from the original network! I've excluded many devices that were already included on other networks.

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:02:36 pm »
Tried using the Vera1 dongle, but it seems like the WDTC-20 isn't wanting to cooperate in excluding itself :(.

Is there some way to completely reset the device (WDTC-20)? I've left it w/o power & batteries overnight, but still see the Z-wave icon (w/o the "wave" part) on the display (I thought, when the device isn't bound to any network, the icon is missing completely) and absolutely nothing happens when I hit the "bind" button.

Am wondering if the thermostat is damaged somehow and I should order a new one (which will irritate me a little since it's only been in service for under a year).
Are you sure you used the dongle correctly for exclusion? In other words you held the button long enough to get the more rapid flash that indicates its in exclusion mode? If you get the more rapid flash then with it near the thermostat, if you press the bind button, you should see the light on the dongle blink in a different pattern briefly. If you see the dongle flash in a different patter then this confirmation thats its been excluded! If your V2 still gives you a problem, you can confirm again that the Zwave part is working correctly by try to include it with the Aeon dongle as a test to see the Thermostat is fine. If it did work then you will obviously need to exclude it again before including it with the V2.

I really suspect the Thermostat still hasn't been excluded, and thats why it wont go into inclusion mode.

Have you been trying to do the inclusion on the V2 battery? Have you tried it instead (as suggested) from the add remove device menu as a "full power" inclusion?

Offline sjolshagen

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:11:31 pm »
Thanks for your continued support strangely!

Yes, I've held the dongle button for more than 3 seconds (until the blue circle rapid-flashes), then tried hitting the thermostat bind button fast/slow/long/short/any combination thereof. Didn't work. Tried with the Vera2 on battery as well as in the power socket and to no avail. There is no reaction at all in the light for the Vera2 or the Aeon dongle (no pattern change until the process times out) or on the thermostat itself. :(

I suspect you're right (that the thermostat hasn't been excluded), but am starting to wonder if this li'l thermostat is going to cooperate at all.

One last try of all of the above and then I'll seriously consider getting a new thermostat...

// Thomas
Vera3/UI5 @ v1.5.622

Offline JOD

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 12:16:27 pm »
Both statements are true but not complete.

I believe what @zmistro was meaning was that if you use the original controller and assuming for example its the Aeon dongle when it was re-inserted it would be removed automatically.

Yes you can exclude a device with another exclusion controller but that only affects the device. It would still be visible with an error message on the UI that the device did not respond, you would then have to remove the device from the UI after.

As for not being able to exclude the device, I ran into this with a Trane t-stat, didnt matter what exclude device I used could not get it to remove. Did a factory reset but it still said it was node 4. I pulled it from power, installed a spare and two days later in my garage applied power to the removed stat and it still said it was part of a network. I hit remove and it excluded this time with no problem. Maybe there is an eprom that needs to drain first?

JOD.

I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline sjolshagen

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32:00 pm »
So you're suggesting I leave the power out for a longer time than overnight (no battery and the thermostat not connected)?
Vera3/UI5 @ v1.5.622

Offline strangely

• Beta Testers
  • Master Member
  • Vera 1,3 & V light
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »
Might also want to give the Wayne Dalton tech support number a call also? I believe they are normally quite helpful and might have some tips!

Offline JOD

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 12:46:47 pm »
If it were my my t-stat I woud do as @strangely suggested, call tech support first, failing a resolution I would let it sit as I did with my Trane unit. As I said, mine reset to factory defaults OK but did not release the node ID.
I'm not saying you will have the same results but in my experience after 4 days of trying with applied power and not being able to exclude it and 2 days without power and it did exclude......It's another avenue you can try before deciding to ditch the device!!

What happened as to why it wont exclude I dont know...

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline zmistro

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 12:49:42 pm »

@zmistro, this is not a true statement, you can exclude with any controller that supports exclusion and it does not have to be from the original network! I've excluded many devices that were already included on other networks.

I am sorry to inform you that yes you can exlude and reset a device with any controller in primary role or a secondary controller is suc/sis. However in order to ensure that the device is completly removed it must be removed from the original network also. If you don't I will garantee issues. Another problem is if there are multiple installs of the same device this can create a currupted network and trouble.  When this happens it's seems best to un-pair/un-install every device , reset the devices to factory and start fresh. Nothing like a phantom old device causing havoc in your network !

Offline zmistro

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 12:52:13 pm »
If it were my my t-stat I woud do as @strangely suggested, call tech support first, failing a resolution I would let it sit as I did with my Trane unit. As I said, mine reset to factory defaults OK but did not release the node ID.
I'm not saying you will have the same results but in my experience after 4 days of trying with applied power and not being able to exclude it and 2 days without power and it did exclude......It's another avenue you can try before deciding to ditch the device!!

What happened as to why it wont exclude I dont know...

JOD.

There should be no reason to let a device rest.  Always do a un-pair then you can do a factory reset to the device. You may have to remove power , follow the instructions.
I would bet the issue with the WD is not the WD but that of a corrupted install.