We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Cabins - 75 to 150 feet apart  (Read 3976 times)

Offline dougdevore

Cabins - 75 to 150 feet apart
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:31:08 pm »
Hello All -
First time caller.  Me the wife and the bank own 3 vacation cabins that are semi close to each other.  I have no problem making each cabin a wifi hot spot if needed, but what I would like to do is get away with using a single Vera controller.  Right now I am only looking to control access (door lock) and maybe temperature.  Any chance I could get Z-wave to cover this distance?

Thanks,
Doug

Offline grybrd

Re: Cabins - 75 to 150 feet apart
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:12 pm »
One can always use appliance modules to extend the range ... but those usually have to be within 50' if going thru walls.

Offline Guard

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:24:22 pm »
The GE/Jasco 45604 (outdoor module) user manual claims 100' range when the unit has no obstructions.  If you mounted these on the exterior of each cabin, in clear sight of the next cabin, you MIGHT get the range.  Another option is, from each cabin, run an electric line out into the yard one third of the way to the next cabin then put a module in water tight boxes (this option may cost as much as two additional Veras).

http://www.cantexinc.com/Products/NM_Fittings_Accessories/Junction_Box/Cover.php
Vera2, Cooper RF9518 x3; GE/Jasco 45609 x3, 45604 x5, 45603 x4, 45602, 45605 x3; 2Gig Thermostat x3

Offline yovinman

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 02:40:53 am »
I have two cabins about 75 - 100 feet apart in a fairly wooded area and I tried to tie them to one Vera without much success. I tried outdoor Z-wave appliance modules, but it was too unreliable to trust things would get turned on or off while we were not there. I ended up getting a 2nd Vera unit so each cabin had a Vera and things have been working well. I do have both cabins linked from an Internet/Wi-Fi perspective using wireless bridges, but AFAIK, there is no equivalent for bridging Z-wave over longer distances.

Offline dougdevore

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:11 pm »
It does not help that the cabins have metal siding either.  I could run copper if that would help, but I don't think it would.  Sure would be nice to find a z-wave to IP\Ethernet device.  Something that can carry some distance.  With a device like that you could manage units that are miles away from each other with a single controller.  I found some old press releases from Sensys about Z/Ip, but that seemed to die out.  They do have an impressive developers kit, but I really wanted to use an off the shelf solution......and be cheap.  

Typical I want my cake and eat it to....and I don't want to pay for it.  :P

Offline dougdevore

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 12:09:03 am »
I just happen to read about the radio shack sale and went down and purchased 4 locks, 3 tstats and a couple outlets.  I think I saved enough to get a couple vera 2's  ;D

Now I just need to figure out which routers\APs for my network.