Author Topic: re: Schlage/Trane thermostat  (Read 11870 times)

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
re: Schlage/Trane thermostat
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:03 am »
thanks to those who gave recomendations I am planning to use this thermostat so questions:
1) one person indicated a price better than i have seen, any tips where to find a good deal on this?
2) please list any quirks to this unit that might help me avoid problems, for example did i read some where that if someone switches it from Fahrenheit to Celsius it will not function properly with Vera?
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline JOD

Re: re: Schlage/Trane thermostat
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 10:37:17 am »
1. I really like this thermostat and you can pick it up at Lowes, no shipping costs.!!
Do a quick online search for Lowes Coupons and you will find one for atleast $10 or 10% off. 

2. Currently UI4 displays the fan as always On, bug report filed. The unit itself works great. 2 cool, 2 heat, emergency heat, filter reminder display, run hours, graphing at the stat for usage in cool or heat, day of week, time etc. those are positive notes...I did have one that would not exclude for a couple of days, but it's back in service.

JOD.

I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline raskell

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 10:51:41 am »
1) These are available online from Amazon, Best Buy & Home Depot if you are in the USA.  They are all currently listing them for $149 with free or low cost shipping.  SmartHomeUSA also lists them for that price currently.  HomeSeer and SmartHomeProducts have it for $148.95.  That seems like the current street price.

2)  I have not found any issues with these, but I must admit, I do not have them in a third party site where strangers may tinker with them, just in my home.  I have had no issues or problems with them responding with Vera2, remote access, running daily scenes for setpoint changes, etc...

I did buy mine at lower prices over the summer (~$70-$108)  but my sources no longer have them in stock at those prices.

Vera2, UI4, Trane/Schlage TStats(6), Schlage LeverLock, GE 3-wayswitches, WD HA14 3-way dimmers, Intermatic Outdoor Module, Hawking door/window sensor(s), VeraLite UI5, Everspring SM-103

Offline akashk

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:12:23 am »
I bought mine from Amazon for $100 from a third-party seller. Keep checking Amazon, might come back on sale for around $100'ish.

Offline akashk

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 11:22:15 am »
BTW, just ordered a t-stat from 2GIG for about $100 -
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=1677&SEName=ct30-2gig-ct30-z-wave-programmable-thermostat
Is z-wave compatible and touch screen. Also battery operateable...for those that do not have the necessary 24VAC wire from the HVAC unit.

Offline JOD

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:31:08 am »
Ohhhh......Thats nice!!
Lets us know how it works out..Is it off the shelf functional with Vera?

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline akashk

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:41:08 pm »
Is it off the shelf functional with Vera?
I believe so...or atleast the people at the Homeseer board seem to think so. From what I could gather, it pairs with Vera quite easily and can be controlled thru SQR or iVera on the iPhone.
Will let you know once I have it up and running.

Offline ald

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:46:50 pm »
put one in last night..  below is what I posted in another topic..

The 2gig ct30 t-stat works great.. Linked up to vera and worked as expected..  SQ works as well..
They could have better pairing instructions; as in they could actually give you some.  But even a moron like me got it to link up after a few seconds of hitting buttons.. (just don’t ask me how I did it).  One of the advantages is that it will work on battery or HVAC power.  I am leaving it on battery to see how long they last just for the fun of it. They are saying 10mo.

Advantages I see.

Good quality (my trane may still have a slight edge on the feel, but this is 1/3 less in cost)
Battery option (We will see how long they last but great option if you have an older home)
Touch screen
Locally Programmable if you want to do it on the stat rather then vera. (Not for me but)

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:39 pm »
The only thing to watch for on the 2-GIG stat is that it is not an auto changeover stat.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 04:48:09 pm »
@asihome, please forgive my ignorance but what does that mean?
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:58:49 pm »
Auto changeover lets you set the set points and leave the stat alone. When the temp falls below the heat set point, the heat comes on, when the temp rises above the cool set point, the AC comes on. Without Auto, you have to put the stat in the proper mode.

With Vera however, I believe you could do scenes to change modes. Im not sure if the temperature event works correctly though.

Offline zmistro

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:07:12 pm »
Im not sure if the temperature event works correctly though.

Yup another thing to fix.

Offline RichD73

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:23:34 pm »
Hi all,

I’m new to z-wave and I am contemplating the purchase of a Vera and a Trane thermostat  for a vacation home we bought earlier this year. I want to be able to control the temperature remotely and also monitor the temperature in two other locations. One is the outside temperature and the other is in a utility closet out in the garage where I have water pipes that could be subject to freezing.

I downloaded the installation manual for the Trane and I noticed it references two models:  TZEMT400AB32MA and TZEMT500AB32MA. The 400 model seems to be the one most people refer to and I have seen it on Amazon. The 500 model has additional terminal posts for connecting external temperature probes. I have a few questions about this…

Is this model also supported by Vera, meaning is Vera capable of reading the external temperature probes? This would seem to fit my needs if so. Has anyone seen this model and the probes for sale anywhere? It is not on Amazon. I wonder if this is a new model. Does anyone have this model now and use it with Vera?

Thanks,

RichD

Offline kdiggz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:21:50 am »
Auto changeover lets you set the set points and leave the stat alone. When the temp falls below the heat set point, the heat comes on, when the temp rises above the cool set point, the AC comes on. Without Auto, you have to put the stat in the proper mode.

With Vera however, I believe you could do scenes to change modes. Im not sure if the temperature event works correctly though.
So if I set the heat to 72 it will just keep blowing hot air until I turn it off?  It won't stop when it gets to 72?  And if it drops below 72 it won't turn back on?  I mean isn't that the point of a thermostat?  I didn't know they made ones that didn't do that

Offline mtf

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 10:29:57 am »

So if I set the heat to 72 it will just keep blowing hot air until I turn it off?  It won't stop when it gets to 72?  And if it drops below 72 it won't turn back on?  I mean isn't that the point of a thermostat?  I didn't know they made ones that didn't do that

I think he means he isn't sure if the temperature events work properly on the Vera rather than the thermostat which will do exactly what it should.

I don't remember having any trouble with the temperature events myself, but I eventually switched over to pure Luup and using the watch function which is vastly more flexible.