We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Desert Weekend Home  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Sig

Desert Weekend Home
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:10 pm »
I have a weekend home in the desert, about 500 miles away.  I'm down there usually about twice/month.  When I first got the place, my primary objective around home automation was thermostat control.  I wanted to be able to cool the house down (or heat it up in the winter) before my visits.  My search for remote-controlled HVAC eventually led me to Vera, and what started as a way to remotely control my HVAC has now turned into my little home automation hobby.

I now use Vera to control HVAC, lighting and some security sensors, as well as a Schlage lock on my patio gate.  I have a small amount of LUUP code controlling certain events based upon whether I'm at the house or not.  For example, the "Evening Lighting" scene is different if I'm there than when the house is vacant.  I also installed a lot of in-wall scene controllers so I can control lighting from nearly every room.  And finally, I have an IP camera as well.  

For the most part, I think I'm pretty close to max'd out on what I could do with the weekend house, with the only possible change being upgrading my Vera 1 running UI2 to a Vera 2 on UI4.  I've come to rely on Vera so much for remotely managing this house that I'm reluctant to "fix what ain't broke" with an upgrade.  I did have some reliability issues in the early days, so like many others in this user community, I ended up installing a simple timer to power-cycle my Vera every other night.  Otherwise, it continues to perform well. And I've just heard too many horror stories about the upgrades.  I have since purchased a Vera 2, which is still sitting in the box, to potentially setup my primary home.  Just haven't decided if/when to take that plunge.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:16:56 pm by slackner »

Offline bennynations

Re: Desert Weekend Home
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 11:56:45 am »
Waiting until later would probably be the best thing.  If you are satisfied and Vera is working well, wait until later.

We bought Vera2 at a discounted rate and immediately put it in our vacation rental.  (SHOULD HAVE WAITED!)

Still waiting on the next upgrade for some key fixes that we need.
2 Schlage locks, Trane Thermostat, Leviton lights and fan control

Offline Les F

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 12:22:33 pm »

I bought a vera2 that had UI3,  within a week I downgraded it to UI2 and have been quite happy with it remotely located.  It works, is solid and the last thing I want is a flaky remote vera.

My home vera2 is UI4, but will wait until a final release of UI4 is out and has been stable for awhile.

Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline grybrd

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:56:26 pm »
I have been running Vera 2 with UI3 since early March in our vacation home and it has been VERY stable ... tsats,  door sensors, motion sensor, multiple switches.   Would like locks but the type of Marvin doors we have won't take them.

Offline jenny22brandon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:23 am »
Eagerly waiting for release of UI4..Any update??
hide ip

Offline raskell

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:59:42 am »
I bought into Vera2 with UI4 (1047) as my starting point.  I have been able to work through everything I wanted to do at my primary residence and have had very few errors or issues with it.  Call me lucky I guess, but having never seen or used UI2, making UI4 work was path I took, with no regrets. 

I have not yet upgraded to the latest Beta firmware and don't have a reason why I would at this point, other than to play with scheduling on the Schlage lock.  I don't need that functionality at the moment, but it would be something to tinker with.
Vera2, UI4, Trane/Schlage TStats(6), Schlage LeverLock, GE 3-wayswitches, WD HA14 3-way dimmers, Intermatic Outdoor Module, Hawking door/window sensor(s), VeraLite UI5, Everspring SM-103

Offline SymondBullock

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 05:40:04 am »
I've purchase Vera2 with UI4 but it doesn't have dongle. Should I replace it with Vera 2 with Homeseer or any other solution is there?
Blinds