Author Topic: Upgrading to Vera Plus, not so easy!  (Read 1659 times)

Offline anthonyris

Re: Upgrading to Vera Plus, not so easy!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 08:22:40 pm »
Hi Z,

Yes, I have tried ALTUI, it is lovely. UI7 isn't as bad as UI5 was, but I really try to stay out of the UI as much as possible. Scenes, Favorites, Apps is most of my usage.

At any rate, it doesn't solve any of the items I've outlined in my review of rebuilding and moving to UI7.

Best,
.//A.

[/quote]

Hi Anthony

Have you tried altui? The UI is much better.

Z
[/quote]
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 10:35:55 am »
Am now several weeks in post-decommissioning the old, maddening Vera3 and upgrading to Vera Plus.

Aside from the various UI bugs and awkward exclude/include sequencing stuff (reported in thread), the zwave network seems stable and fairly responsive.

Have been slowly adding back a few plugins and observing Vera's response and stability. So far so good. Devices react quickly, UI accurately reflects state of the devices (!). Definitely some progress here from the MCV folks in terms of the platform tech.

Rebuilding from scratch was proabably one of the best decisions I've made in my 8 year odyssey with Vera. Hope it is the last time, though.

Onward Vera Soldiers!
.//A.
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline garretn

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 09:51:33 am »
Vera is the worst product I have ever used when it comes to updating it.  For some reason almost every update breaks something or is a total PETA to get it working again.  Very frustrating to always be working on it I wished it would just work.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:43 am »
I have not had that experience, but I may be taking a different route. I typically backup my system (including z-wave), reflash Vera with the latest firmware, then do a restore with z-wave. This is about as clean as you can be to avoid residual files not updating while in use.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Juppers

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 10:39:23 am »
I upgraded to the Plus yesterday. I imported the backup from my vera3 to get all the non-zwave devices, plugins, scenes moved over, then readded all the zwave devices and updated the scenes that used them. It was far less painful a process than I was expecting and quite a bit easier than fully starting from scratch.

The annoying part is the complicated way you have to add/check/change zwave parameters. Device, device options, parameter stuff, back, advanced, commands, poll or configure, back, device options, verify/adjust, repeat. It would be real nice if they would add poll and configure buttons to the device options page as well. All the wasted white space throughout the UI doesn't help speed up the process at all either.

Offline garretn

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 10:57:07 am »
I have not had that experience, but I may be taking a different route. I typically backup my system (including z-wave), reflash Vera with the latest firmware, then do a restore with z-wave. This is about as clean as you can be to avoid residual files not updating while in use.

Hmmm  interesting idea.  My concern would be wiping it completely out and something not restoring and then I would be left to rebuild the system from scratch.  I had to do that when I went from Vera Lite to Vera+ a while back. 

Thanks for the idea I might just try it.

Offline foe

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 08:33:33 pm »
I thought I'd share my experience migrating from Vera Edga to Vera Plus: Flawless !! Did a backup of Edge, plugged in Vera Plus, restored and everything appeared and works great !

One happy Vera owner, user and fan !!!!

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 12:25:03 pm »
They are basically the same hardware ...
The problems are from a Vera 3 or a Vera Lite that use the older Z-Wave technology.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 06:55:58 pm »
If/when I get a Secure, I will likely start from scratch with a clean install.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.