General > Lighting & Load Control

Sengled Element Classic & Element Touch

(1/5) > >>

Nameless:
I stumbled upon this brand while browsing Amazon for some smart bulbs. I am considering them as an alternative to Philips Hue, due to the lower cost. Unfortunately, they're ZigBee. With all the issues the Vera Plus has with ZigBee, I'm leery of buying them. I really doubt they'll work without a separate hub, but thought I'd see if anyone has tried them? I'm ok buying a separate hub, but really want it to tie into Vera as well. I'm not sure if there's an existing plugin under a different name that can be made to work either?

Honestly, I went out to buy a Hue starter kit today, but after visiting a Best Buy, Sam's Club, Home Depot, Target, and a Bed, Bath, & Beyond without finding a single kit under $130, I got a little frustrated. The shelves were mostly empty and not like they were selling a ton. More like the retailers were giving up on them. Makes me wonder about the Hue's future.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with the Sengled bulbs, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

Nameless:
Well, I purchased a pair of Element Plus bulbs and the hub that comes with. I should be able to post if I get them to work with Vera over the weekend. They just got Alexa integration, too. Saved a ton over Hue, but we'll see if they actually work.

Nameless:
I thought I'd follow up and note that I now have 4 of the Element Plus bulbs and they work fantastic with their own hub. Setup of the hub was the toughest part because it wouldn't work on an Ethernet setup. I couldn't get it to connect by WiFi either until I used the WPS button.

I tested the bulbs on my Vera Plus and they will link up within a second. I was really surprised that I can control the on/off setting and the dimming from 0% to 100% with no trouble. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to adjust the hue. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd love to try it. Otherwise, I'll be using a separate hub from my Vera for lighting.

On another note, It works very well with Alexa. Hue changing is not available there either, but it recognizes other commands.

dagrider:
Ran into a lady selling the Sengled items at Sam's today. All the stuff she had required iOS or Android app to control, but I have a Windows phone and plan to keep it that way. ;D Also I was looking for a color temperature changing bulb and nothing she had on display would do that. So I came home and did some web surfing, and I am interested in this: https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Z01-A19NAE26W-Element-Hub-Controlled-Dimmable/dp/B01MQVYNFL/. Does anybody have experience with this? Specifically, I don't want it to have to work with the cloud, prefer the local processing like with the Veraplus hub. I actually may not even need the hub if the bulbs work directly with Vera, but probably want it for now to do color temperature changing.

As for color temperature changing, my understanding is that the ZigBee that Vera supports doesn't currently do color temperature, which is a real shame. I think color temperature bulbs are the wave of the future. I have 4 Osram Lightify bulbs that currently I can only do on/off/dim. For now I have a Lua script to dim them depending on the time of day and would like to also add the color temperature changing. Hopefully soon Vera will be updated to support color temperature.

Nameless:

--- Quote from: dagrider on March 18, 2017, 03:56:32 pm ---Ran into a lady selling the Sengled items at Sam's today. All the stuff she had required iOS or Android app to control, but I have a Windows phone and plan to keep it that way. ;D Also I was looking for a color temperature changing bulb and nothing she had on display would do that. So I came home and did some web surfing, and I am interested in this: https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Z01-A19NAE26W-Element-Hub-Controlled-Dimmable/dp/B01MQVYNFL/. Does anybody have experience with this? Specifically, I don't want it to have to work with the cloud, prefer the local processing like with the Veraplus hub. I actually may not even need the hub if the bulbs work directly with Vera, but probably want it for now to do color temperature changing.

As for color temperature changing, my understanding is that the ZigBee that Vera supports doesn't currently do color temperature, which is a real shame. I think color temperature bulbs are the wave of the future. I have 4 Osram Lightify bulbs that currently I can only do on/off/dim. For now I have a Lua script to dim them depending on the time of day and would like to also add the color temperature changing. Hopefully soon Vera will be updated to support color temperature.

--- End quote ---

I'm using 4 of these bulbs and love them. I linked them to Vera, but on/off/dim is all you can do, so I'm using their own hub not linked to Vera. Color changes must be done by app. Even using Alexa won't change the temp of the bulb, but they work great with Alexa otherwise.

I wish these had more Vera support, but not yet. Much less expensive than Hue lighting. Honestly, the Sengled hub is not great, but the company is pushing updates to it that now let it work with more of their own products. At first, only Element Plus bulbs worked with it, but the Classic does now, too. Also no IFTTT or Yonami support yet.

I had a Windows Phone and it was great with my Vera Plus. Lack of apps and a worn out phone eventually caused me to move to Android. There's no officially supported Sengled app for Windows at this time. The app for Android or iOS is required to setup the hub. An Android tablet or iPad would do the job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version