Author Topic: Goodbye Vera  (Read 8948 times)

Offline kwieto

Re: Goodbye Vera
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 04:06:46 am »
In some ways the forum probably gives a false impression to the company, because a lot of the posts are about pretty complex stuff.

I am taking that into consideration. I don't expect support forum to be the place where people talk how good their experience is.
My own experience (pretty short) is not that bad, I don't have much issues.

But from the 8 "standards" of devices I use (by "standard" I mean combination of device type and producer brand) two are not working as I would expect and 2 others needed some tweaking to make them work.
And I don't talk here about complex stuff (at least from user point of view), but exactly abut same what you are pointing - improving "basic" compatibility of various devices.

I know that there are some workarounds for various things, but in my opinion it shouldn't be that you have to do workarounds even for very simple things i.e. creating scenes with "and" type of conditions.
I've seen for example how it is created in Fibaro (extremely popular in my country) user interface and I was really impressed. Fibaro have its own issues and my choice was still on Vera, but I really don't understand why it is so difficult to integrate that kind of soultion (by the way, Zipato also have it done better).

Seeing posts from other people leaving Vera I've got an impression that this is exactly the issue - they are tired of using workarounds everywhere and the stability compromises which are coming with these workarounds.
But to be fair I have to admit that at least we have possibility to use those workarounds, which is not always that simple for other manufacturers.

For me personally I don't expect from Vera to be as user friendly and stable as its more expensive competitors, but still there is some room to improvment.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:16:25 am by kwieto »

Offline tixme

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 04:56:51 am »
I just want to say that I have contacted Vera support once and they responded fast and solved the isue.

Skickat fr?n min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Offline Sender

• Sr. manager of my Vera
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 06:14:58 am »
In some ways the forum probably gives a false impression to the company, because a lot of the posts are about pretty complex stuff.

I am taking that into consideration. I don't expect support forum to be the place where people talk how good their experience is.
My own experience (pretty short) is not that bad, I don't have much issues.

But from the 8 "standards" of devices I use (by "standard" I mean combination of device type and producer brand) two are not working as I would expect and 2 others needed some tweaking to make them work.
And I don't talk here about complex stuff (at least from user point of view), but exactly abut same what you are pointing - improving "basic" compatibility of various devices.

I know that there are some workarounds for various things, but in my opinion it shouldn't be that you have to do workarounds even for very simple things i.e. creating scenes with "and" type of conditions.
I've seen for example how it is created in Fibaro (extremely popular in my country) user interface and I was really impressed. Fibaro have its own issues and my choice was still on Vera, but I really don't understand why it is so difficult to integrate that kind of soultion (by the way, Zipato also have it done better).

Seeing posts from other people leaving Vera I've got an impression that this is exactly the issue - they are tired of using workarounds everywhere and the stability compromises which are coming with these workarounds.
But to be fair I have to admit that at least we have possibility to use those workarounds, which is not always that simple for other manufacturers.

For me personally I don't expect from Vera to be as user friendly and stable as its more expensive competitors, but still there is some room to improvment.

There are also a lot of "succes stories" on this support forum, so it's not only bad experience.
But even in your epistel there's a lot of "not working", "workarounds "...
It is the tendens that most over here are relatively satisfied with Vera and see their potential.

Even me, member and user for over 6 years and started with Vera2.

The thing is, most complaints are about the same thing, stability and device support.

Every fresh user says: stop complaining, and every experienced user complains. And a lot of them are in between...
Good firmware is more important than good karma. (and this costed me lots of Karma)

Offline rge

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 06:41:41 am »
I just want to say that I have contacted Vera support once and they responded fast and solved the isue.

Skickat fr?n min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Yes, they no doubt have some good people working there.

But support calls for getting a basic device working should not be necessary to begin with.

And even when they find a solution, it often doesn't seem to get baked in to the firmware updates - so people still have to do some hacks based on this forum, or call support, and round and round it goes.

Offline aptalca

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 08:56:26 am »
HomeSeer although costs a bomb has been extremely rock solid.

i just took a look at HS
it would cost me at least $600 to switch.. that's way to much for software IMO.
my veraplus isn't perfect.. but it works most of the time without problem.
guess it depends on how much disposable cash you have and how important it is for your lights to turn on and off when they are asked to.

good luck!
How did you figure $600?

I bought the following:
Rpi 3 - $35 ($50 as a kit with sd card and power adapter)
Zwave stick - $40
HS3 - $250 (bought it for $125 on sale)

Alternatively, you can buy the rpi based Zee S2, which comes with all the hardware and software you need for $199 (limited to 5 plugins but I only use 3 so it wouldn't matter: zwave, imperihome and hstouch)

You definitely do not need HS3pro, and I only use one paid plugin (imperihome) but there are free options for mobile apps.

The rpi is probably one of the slowest devices out there you can run hs3 on, and it still runs circles around the fastest vera hardware in terms of power and reliability. And it has a ton more ram. It has been rock solid in my experience.

Offline Zoro

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 11:48:13 am »
Hi fuzzysb,

Sorry to see you leaving.

If it's something we can do to change your mind, or if you decide to come back, don't hesitate to let us know.

@John M.

Hope you have read all of the posts in the thread.. The comments on this forum have been pretty much consistent for quite some time. Many of us are still on UI5 and plan to stay there until the stability problems are fixed.

Z

Offline jswim788

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 12:17:50 pm »
You definitely do not need HS3pro, and I only use one paid plugin (imperihome) but there are free options for mobile apps.

I've seen some people saying HS3 on Linux is the poor step child without all the features which is something that's kept me away from it.  You are saying that HS3 on the RPI is good?  I'm more comfortable running on Linux than Windows.  Thanks.

Offline rafale77

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 12:27:10 pm »

i just took a look at HS
guess it depends on how much disposable cash you have and how important it is for your lights to turn on and off when they are asked to.

good luck!
How did you figure $600?

I bought the following:
Zwave stick - $40

Alternatively, you can buy the rpi based Zee S2, which comes with all the hardware and software you need for $199 (limited to 5 plugins but I only use 3 so it wouldn't matter: zwave, imperihome and hstouch)

The rpi is probably one of the slowest devices out there you can run hs3 on, and it still runs circles around the fastest vera hardware in terms of power and reliability. And it has a ton more ram. It has been rock solid in my experience.

Depends a lot on your plugin needs. I just counted what I would be buying if I was to have the same integration I currently have... Added up to $400 in plugins alone and I am sure I am missing some. HS3Pro may help but I am fairly certain a lot of the plugins I need are 3rd party.
112 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 231 devices, 17 apps, 100 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline mvader

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 12:32:09 pm »

i just took a look at HS

good luck!
How did you figure $600?

I bought the following:
Zwave stick - $40

the plugin's that i use now (for free) are 30-40$ each
200 on the software, and then 400 in plugins. (roughly)
IF HS lowered the price and made plugins free. they would have a flood of new customers.
i don't mind the 200 for the software.. it's the plugins price that i have an issue with.

Offline Zoro

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 12:55:01 pm »

i just took a look at HS

good luck!
How did you figure $600?

I bought the following:
Zwave stick - $40

IF HS lowered the price and made plugins free. they would have a flood of new customers.
i don't mind the 200 for the software.. it's the plugins price that i have an issue with.

Also, remember that for HS they charge for software upgrades, so the money train continues to run.. Every time they upgrade the software they charge you for the upgrade.

Z

Offline NickTheGreat

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 01:29:10 pm »
I also migrated to HS3, but agree on the Plugin costs.  Which I knew in advance.

With Vera, it's cool to control my Hue's and add my Harmonies.  But is it $40 and $40 cool??? 

Offline aptalca

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 01:58:56 pm »

I've seen some people saying HS3 on Linux is the poor step child without all the features which is something that's kept me away from it.  You are saying that HS3 on the RPI is good?  I'm more comfortable running on Linux than Windows.  Thanks.

Not really. I mean homeseer has a commercial hardware product based on the pi (linux arm), so no it's not worse compared to the windows version. Actually, it is the future in my opinion.

The only thing I'm aware of that doesn't work under Linux is the voice commands built into homeseer because they use Microsoft's api. But I wouldn't use it because nowadays you use an echo or a google home for that, which hs3 in linux supports.

Offline aptalca

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 02:02:50 pm »

i just took a look at HS

good luck!
How did you figure $600?

I bought the following:
Zwave stick - $40

Also, remember that for HS they charge for software upgrades, so the money train continues to run.. Every time they upgrade the software they charge you for the upgrade.

Z
They only charge an upgrade fee for major versions like going from hs2 to hs3 but that's not frequent at all. Hs3 came out several years ago and it is still getting free upgrades with no hs4 even mentioned.

And granted, hs3 was a huge upgrade that it was more of a complete rewrite of the software.

Offline aptalca

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2017, 02:09:04 pm »
I'm curious which plugins you guys need that adds up to $400  ;D

My main needs are mostly built in or free: zwave, alexa, ifttt, json api, advanced scene logic (pleg-like), etc.

I bought imperihome because that's my favorite mobile app, and considered buying the kodi plugin, but instead implemented the play/pause notification feature (only one I needed) through the json api instead.

All my lights, garage doors, fireplace, etc just work as is.

Offline mvader

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2017, 04:11:10 pm »
I'm curious which plugins you guys need that adds up to $400  ;D

My main needs are mostly built in or free: zwave, alexa, ifttt, json api, advanced scene logic (pleg-like), etc.

I bought imperihome because that's my favorite mobile app, and considered buying the kodi plugin, but instead implemented the play/pause notification feature (only one I needed) through the json api instead.

All my lights, garage doors, fireplace, etc just work as is.

I mis spoke on the 400 in plugins. that was plugins and hardware..

250 - HS3
261 - plugins
is $511
then add hardware cost.
it would be "roughly" $600

In any event, over the last few years, like most I've added much to my vera install.. almost the whole house is connected. so it's a fairly involved install at this point. it's certainly not perfect. but it does work as expected most of the time.