Author Topic: Automated "occupied/unoccupied" VR mode for thermostat control  (Read 5921 times)

Offline neilios

• Vacation Rental Automation
Automated "occupied/unoccupied" VR mode for thermostat control
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »
This is a re-post of what I wrote here back in Sep 2009:

It's been a while since this posting and I now have installed Vera + Wayne Dalton thermostat controls into my 2 vacation homes (one required 2 thermostats) and things are going well.

As background, I have written an online vacation rental management system (www.myvrzone.com) and automate everything I can about the day-to-day management. My goal with Vera was to save $ by ensuring that the homes are not heating/cooling when unoccupied and when occupied do give the occupants the ability to modify the temps within some range that I define. The occupied/unoccupied mode changes needed to happen automatically.

I wrote a bunch of LUA code for Vera that provides the following functionality:
* Reads temp settings and reservation/occupancy information from my online reservation system
* Uploads temp history to the same system for viewing there
* Can override default temps per reservation
* Has min/max setpoint values that it will reset to if the thermostat button is used to go beyond them
* The occupant can change the setpoints within the range
* Has an optional "drift" back to my desired temperature over some custom time period
* Different occupied setpoints to allow changes during the day
* Tolerant to power outages in terms of recovering to previous state
* External internet access is only required for downloading updated info/uploading history and the system is tolerant to that being down

I have further information and screenshots here:
http://www.myvrzone.com/blog/automation/home-automation-hvac-control/

I offer this code and integration to all paid MyVRZone accounts (www.myvrzone.com).

Neilios
My Network: [Vacation Home #1 - Vera v862, 1x Wayne Dalton], [Vacation Home #2 - Vera v862, 2x Wayne Dalton], Custom device & LUA code on each for remote thermostat operation for occupied/unoccupied and history upload to myvrzone.com DB.

Offline pgrover516

• Beta Testers
Re: Automated "occupied/unoccupied" VR mode for thermostat control
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 07:01:36 pm »
cool
V1,V2,V3,VLite,Express Controls HSM-100,Intermatic HA20C, HA04C,HA02C,HA09, Leviton VRP15-1LW, VRS15-1LX,Home Manageables HM-TS001,Schlage FE599, Schlage BE369, Cooper RF9500, Aeon Labs Minimote, Schlage TZEMT400AB32MAA+more