Author Topic: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (official newsletter)  (Read 6412 times)

Online mcv.vlad

• Administrator
Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (official newsletter)
« on: March 07, 2017, 07:26:36 am »
THE LINKS ARE OBSOLETE. SEE http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,48139.0.html

Better. Faster. Simpler.
YOU SPOKE. WE LISTENED. OUR NEW BETA INCLUDES CUSTOM DEVICE NAMING, FASTER RESPONSE TIMES, AND A NEW MARKET!

We've had incredible feedback from the community over the past few weeks. Thank you! Based on your participation, we've processed hundreds of thousands of requests via Alexa and received countless suggestions on feature and performance improvements.

Today's update to the beta incorporates many improvements to both the features and functionality of the skill. In addition to expanding across the pond to include the United Kingdom, we've added a new method to improve naming of devices for simpler voice control.

*Even if you installed/updated the Skill after February 1st, you will need to reconnect the Skill to your Alexa account after today's backend updates and improvements. Simply follow the instructions below.

Newsletter link http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ac78fb944aeae20acd80c2407&id=5184f3721c&
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 01:24:38 pm by John M. »

Online mcv.vlad

• Administrator
Re: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (official newsletter)
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:03:53 am »
Important:

(1) Please note that if your Amazon account is set to US, you might need to use the US invite link, not the UK one. We've had some beta users that are in UK that got assigned to US skill instead of UK skill. So please try both if one does not work.

(2) If you click on the invite link and see a 404 page, then please login with alexa on alexa.amazon.com or alexa.amazon.co.uk and then open the invite link in a new tab. This is a known Amazon invite issue and you need to login first to avoid it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:19:08 am by mcv.vlad »

Offline tixme

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:15:28 am »
Any chance too make it work in Sweden?

Skickat fr?n min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Online mcv.vlad

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:35:38 am »
As far as I know, only english (US, UK) and german (DE) are supported by amazon. You would have to ask Amazon about other languages.

Offline finout

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 11:10:46 am »
So I've followed the directions as explicitly as I can, and the Alexa Skill seems to be completely missing:

alexa.getvera.com redirects to the alexa.amazon.com web page with no context.
Asking it to send me a beta invitation results in an error that I'm already registered.
Clicking on the old beta link sent previously has the same effect of logging into alexa.getvera.com

I seem to be stuck in a rut where Alexa doesn't know anything about the Vera skill. It's not there to delete, and it's not there to add?

This is the US version by the way.

Important:

(1) Please note that if your Amazon account is set to US, you might need to use the US invite link, not the UK one. We've had some beta users that are in UK that got assigned to US skill instead of UK skill. So please try both if one does not work.

(2) If you click on the invite link and see a 404 page, then please login with alexa on alexa.amazon.com or alexa.amazon.co.uk and then open the invite link in a new tab. This is a known Amazon invite issue and you need to login first to avoid it.

Offline becky

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 02:42:01 pm »
So I've followed the directions as explicitly as I can, and the Alexa Skill seems to be completely missing:

Asking it to send me a beta invitation results in an error that I'm already registered.
Clicking on the old beta link sent previously has the same effect of logging into alexa.getvera.com

I seem to be stuck in a rut where Alexa doesn't know anything about the Vera skill. It's not there to delete, and it's not there to add?

It did the same to me. It gave me a login for amazon, and then errored out. So I went back to the email, and I clicked the button in the email again. This time it had me log into Vera and then it worked.

I'm just stuck now on the step where it's trying to install the plugin. it keeps saying it's failed.

Offline paj418

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 04:30:33 pm »
Totally bummed when Alexa told me she had no idea what I was talking about. Came here, read the update, followed the instructions, and she's now fine with my requests. She seems a little better at understanding me, about the same latency in responding. The good news is that the original beta skill is now gone. I'm fine with the update so far.

Offline finout

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 05:22:13 pm »
Clicking on the link in the email takes me to a page that says
{"message":null}

And the not-the-least-bit-helpful Vera Mios support email person basically regurgitated the instructions on their useless beta page and at the top of this topic.

Oh well. Maybe they'll figure it out. So far Mios seems to be the one company that can't figure out the Alexa API.

It did the same to me. It gave me a login for amazon, and then errored out. So I went back to the email, and I clicked the button in the email again. This time it had me log into Vera and then it worked.

I'm just stuck now on the step where it's trying to install the plugin. it keeps saying it's failed.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:20:28 pm »
Already had Alexa working with the February 1 skill but followed the instructions to reconnect.

- Clicked the 'US customers click here' link. The alexa amazon skill page opened. Not what I expected so I closed the tab.
- Clicked the 'US customers click here' link again. This time the getvera Alexa page came up allowing me to verify all my devices.
- Clicked the Finish button. It installed the plugin on my Vera 3 but errored out on my VeraPlus. Two retries later it installed it on my VeraPlus as well. However I received an error message that an error occured with Amazon.
- Clicked the 'US customers click here' link one more time. Reached the Vera page and clicked Finish with no changes. Thsi time it had no issue with the plugin on either Vera and succesfully connected to Amazon.\

I now have both the Getvera and Amazon Alexa pages bookmarked for easy access.

Based on other posts, it seems the link in the email gets munged when being processed by listmanage at times and results in the wrong page being served. I've had this happen previously on the older beta's as well. This may be something to be looked at.

Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline mvader

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:42:13 pm »
re-set up my alexa integration. from the device list page, it said installing plugin, done, then got and error / failure. said to try later.
i re-read directions (didn't do anything wrong) tried a 3rd time and it worked. it installed the skill on the alexa page automatically and i was good to go.

Offline Spudz72

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 10:59:13 pm »
Worked first time for me on 2 different Veralite's on 2 different accounts..  So all good here..

Offline homeuser

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 12:00:20 am »
I'm having the same issue.

Important:

Online mcv.vlad

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 02:56:20 am »
Oh well. Maybe they'll figure it out. So far Mios seems to be the one company that can't figure out the Alexa API.

There are known issues with invite links for uncertified skills on amazon side. Sometimes they just don't work. If you have any issues with that please contact them.

If there are issues with the links in the email (wich i doubt since the link is a simple html link to https<something>dot amazon.com) use the ones in this thread. They point to the exact same place.

Also, please make sure you're using the correct link (one of the ones in this thread) and not the old ones.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 05:39:59 am by mcv.vlad »

Offline Sorin M.

• Administrator
  • Master Member
    • getvera.com
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 05:42:15 am »
Hi guys,

We noticed that some people are still using the old newsletter invitation link that's why you get the error

{"message":null}

Make sure you use the newsletter sent yesterday, or the links in the head of this thread.

"click here to enable skill" is not present in the yesterday's newsletter. Now you have dedicated links from UK and US. You must use the appropriate one.

Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm