Author Topic: Anyone using z-wave blinds  (Read 35552 times)

Offline Dignan17

Re: Anyone using z-wave blinds
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 12:44:05 am »
Thanks so much, Shady! I'll look more into those. How does one of those motors install into an existing blind? Is there some sort of universal physical interface?

And I assume there needs to be some wire run up to the top of these blinds to power them? Do you think this is something that coule be hidden behind the molding around the window? I don't necessarily know if I could get mine off without damaging something, but it would be good to know if I could do it...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:46:15 am by Dignan17 »

Offline Shabian

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:24 pm »
"AC Motors that means 4-wires and DC Motors that means 2-Wires"

Shady, what are the pros and cons for AC/DC motors? Thx

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »
DC (low voltage) typically has the advantage of the wiring being run without the need for an electrical contractors license, it could be powered with solar in the future possibly, but it requires a power supply to step down power to 12v-24vdc, and typically requires wiring homeruns back to a central power supply or individual power supplies.

AC has the advantage of jumping off of the existing circuits in your home without needing a place to hide a bulky power supply, there is no power supply to just sit there and create heat and waste electricity, allows daisy-chaining motors just like electrical outlets on a circuit.

Both offer quiet options and both motors can lift quite a lot too.  Sorry that was just off the top of my head, there are probably more differences to list too.  Sometimes the width of the window or style of the window treatment is what will decide between AC or DC.  For roller shades either will work unless your window is less than 26" wide and then it might have to use DC motors.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline Shabian

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2013, 12:14:54 am »
Shady, thanks for the explanation.

1. Somfy Z-Wave to ILT Interface
2. AC1-ZW/DC1-ZW

These are all Z-Wave controllers. But what is the difference?

Offline Dignan17

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2013, 10:23:51 am »
Thanks for all the info you provide, Shady. I know we all appreciate it.

I'm still a little confused, however, about the retrofitting process. How exactly would a motor connect to the inner workings of my existing blinds? I really can't tell how those motors work, because there are no good photos of them. They all look like nondescript white boxes to me.

Offline Bazzauk

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 09:03:05 am »
Hi shady
Just wondering if its possible you could help me out on this subject too
Can any motor be adapted to take an external zwave controller or is it just specific ones?
Thank you

Offline shady

• Beta Testers
  • This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 02:00:39 pm »
Motors with internal controllers won't work, so radio motors have an internal radio controller, smart motors have an internal serial controller, etc. 

You want to use a standard motor with adjustable limit switches (either by push buttons or progressive (hex) screws).  For AC Motors these are also called 4-Wire motors since they have 2 hot wires for up and down, a neutral and ground wire.  DC motors are 2-wire whether they have internal controllers or not, so be sure to ask for standard motors or look for the limit buttons or screws on the motor head.
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set