Author Topic: IP Outdoor camera that work with Vera UI7  (Read 2638 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: IP Outdoor camera that work with Vera UI7
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:32 pm »
Not to hijack the thread (can start a new one if I need to), but for the folks who use Blue Iris for several cams and motion detection, how beefy of a machine do you have?  I have 6 cams (two foscams inside and four hikvisions outside).  BI is running on a Hyper-V VM running on a Dell R900 quad proc, quad core server in my basement.  If I have motion detection enabled (and just record on motion), it runs at about 90% CPU for just those six cams (720p res).  If I turn off motion detection (and record constantly), CPU usage drops to about 35%, but I think my hard drives may explode :-)

I want to add two or three more cams, and I'd love to go back to motion detection, but I'm concerned about capacity.  Do other see that kind of load?  maybe I have a setting wrong.

What are others running on?

I run intel i7 on a mini pc for 10 3-4 MP hikvision. The key is direct to disc recording (I use an SSD) and also using a a newer intel chip turning on the "Intel Hardware Acceleration". I run around 23% cpu usage on my i7 with 20fps recording and motion on all of them.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 05:34:35 pm »
My BI server is an old Dell Desktop I bought in 2010 that is my main computer in my home office although I use my Surface Pro 2 for about 90% of my computing needs. I have not had any performance issues.  Here is a screenshot of the hardware. It is an i5 processor.  I could benefit from more RAM but, like I said, it performs fine.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 08:55:46 pm »
Seems like hikvision is a popular brand.
Are there certain cameras that work better than others for motion and BI?

Offline stevebus

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:34 pm »
Thanks for the hardware info guys...  I think despite it being a 16 core box, my CPU clock speed is just too slow.   (I do use direct-to-disk, but that didn't make much difference in CPU usage vs. turning off motion detection).

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 10:58:28 pm »

Not really. I spend around 100.00 a camera myself on the newer 4MP versions of Hikvision.

I prefer bullets for versatility of mounting and no glare. But really you can choose between dome, bullet and turret.

I run POE to all my hikvisions so they are one wire install.

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:23 am »

Not really. I spend around 100.00 a camera myself on the newer 4MP versions of Hikvision.

I prefer bullets for versatility of mounting and no glare. But really you can choose between dome, bullet and turret.

I run POE to all my hikvisions so they are one wire install.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll stick with hikvisions