Author Topic: IP Outdoor camera that work with Vera UI7  (Read 6383 times)

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
Re: IP Outdoor camera that work with Vera UI7
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 10:40:32 pm »
Not to hijack the thread (can start a new one if I need to), but for the folks who use Blue Iris for several cams and motion detection, how beefy of a machine do you have?  I have 6 cams (two foscams inside and four hikvisions outside).  BI is running on a Hyper-V VM running on a Dell R900 quad proc, quad core server in my basement.  If I have motion detection enabled (and just record on motion), it runs at about 90% CPU for just those six cams (720p res).  If I turn off motion detection (and record constantly), CPU usage drops to about 35%, but I think my hard drives may explode :-)

I want to add two or three more cams, and I'd love to go back to motion detection, but I'm concerned about capacity.  Do other see that kind of load?  maybe I have a setting wrong.

What are others running on?

I run intel i7 on a mini pc for 10 3-4 MP hikvision. The key is direct to disc recording (I use an SSD) and also using a a newer intel chip turning on the "Intel Hardware Acceleration". I run around 23% cpu usage on my i7 with 20fps recording and motion on all of them.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 05:34:35 pm »
My BI server is an old Dell Desktop I bought in 2010 that is my main computer in my home office although I use my Surface Pro 2 for about 90% of my computing needs. I have not had any performance issues.  Here is a screenshot of the hardware. It is an i5 processor.  I could benefit from more RAM but, like I said, it performs fine.
Vera 3, 1.7.1030, CT101, Everspring motion sensor, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs sensor, NuTone garage door, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual/Multi Switch, Weatherunderground, LB60Z-1 bulb, Hue, Alexa

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 08:55:46 pm »
Seems like hikvision is a popular brand.
Are there certain cameras that work better than others for motion and BI?

Offline stevebus

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:34 pm »
Thanks for the hardware info guys...  I think despite it being a 16 core box, my CPU clock speed is just too slow.   (I do use direct-to-disk, but that didn't make much difference in CPU usage vs. turning off motion detection).

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 10:58:28 pm »

Not really. I spend around 100.00 a camera myself on the newer 4MP versions of Hikvision.

I prefer bullets for versatility of mounting and no glare. But really you can choose between dome, bullet and turret.

I run POE to all my hikvisions so they are one wire install.

Offline chilump

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:23 am »

Not really. I spend around 100.00 a camera myself on the newer 4MP versions of Hikvision.

I prefer bullets for versatility of mounting and no glare. But really you can choose between dome, bullet and turret.

I run POE to all my hikvisions so they are one wire install.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll stick with hikvisions

Offline Rarico

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2018, 11:12:00 am »
I know several that works with Vera...
I built an Xpenology NAS based on Synology which has an NVR app Surveillance station.
I have a few cams but mainly Chinese Huacam HCV724s which are great for the price and ONVIF compliant.
You can sync your cam footage to Onedrive using Sync Station if required.

Unless you have a few cams, the cloud solutions are probably the most cost effective.
Also...
There is an app that uploads to Dropbox. I've been testing it connected upto an old Android Phone.. I think it's called Warden Cam.

I've got a Vstarcam https://secretstorages.com/best-outdoor-wireless-security-camera-system-with-dvr/ on its way from Amazon. ?29.68 to test it out.. Also got a Sunluxy SL-C701 on its way from China via EBay for ?25.99.

Both I believe upload to FTP/Cloud..

If you only wanna buy some cameras with remote recording & reviewing function, ip cameras can be a good option. (IP camera can send and receive data via a computer network and the Internet, thus you can control remotely as long as hooking internet to it).

As for ip camera, you need to focus on the following points.

Type: Bullet or dome or turret . Bullet cameras are the most popular. They can be used inside or out. These security cameras casings are usually weather resistant and don?t require added external protection. The dome cameras are obviously named for its dome shape. Dome cams are generally used inside buildings, although some domes can be used outside as well. Turret (ball) cams are also popular, I usually get them requested for indoors in professional offices. But now manufacturers make outdoor-weatherproof types of all three types of cams.

Wireless or wired. Wired cameras can be a little bit difficult to install and not that easy to hide. While wireless cameras are plug-n-play which makes it much easier to set up.

Weatherproof. You mentioned front and back of your house, so IP66 rating is a must.

Lens. A camera lens with a higher focal length number will deliver more crispy viewing.

P2P. To avoid complicated DDNS network setup, P2P function should take into account. It is the easiest and fastest one-step network setup function.

Night vision. To see clearly under low light condition, IR led is required. Generally speaking how far the illumination of Infrared determines the night vision range.

Network bandwidth. IP security cam requires network bandwidth to transmit and store images, video and data. The higher the resolution of your camera, the greater your bandwidth requirements.

Hope those give you some hints
Sorry for bump...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:28:50 am by Rarico »