Author Topic: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links  (Read 23037 times)

Offline shmdb

Re: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2017, 05:32:21 pm »
Very odd. I was using the UK link and it was coming up with the error message"Unable to link your Skill".

I tried the US link, which was not able to connect.

And then tried the UK link again, which worked. All devices now discovered.

Offline JayRx1981

« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2017, 09:34:35 pm »
Question to the Beta users, I'm getting the sense that some folks are not getting the "Sorry, Device X is not responding" message followed with a 7-42 second delay with the action finally initializes (e.g. device comes ON or OFF ect.) is that true and if so what in your environment such as; connection speed(s) is there difference based on time of day ect. may be contributing to it?

Question to VERA beta development team are you aware and is there anything the user community can do to help minimizing the delay and when are you envisioning an update?

I solved this problem (at least with my hue lights "timing out") by first adding the Hue Lights via the Hue 2 plugin in Vera's web interface, naming them appropriately, placing them where I wanted them in Vera rooms (I like to group lights as "rooms", even if they are in the same room, so my PC Hue lights get their own room, while my TV Hue lights get another room), and making sure I could control them manually from the Vera web portal. I then linked the Vera to Alexa Beta, gave appropriate aliases, installed and linked plugins, etc, then hit discover in the Alexa App so it would find all the Vera controlled z-wave and hue products, but did NOT hit the hue bridge button. I then hit discover a second time, this time hitting the button on my Hue bridge, which effectively doubled the number of Hue lights found, but allowed me to then associate the hue lights without Vera with a group, so that Alexa responds and turns the lights in the affected groups on almost immediately. No more timeouts (so far), but still able to control via both Alexa and Vera, with room for adding an alexa+vera grouping for each group so that the commands pass through Vera should I need to (for redundancy if nothing else).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 09:39:09 pm by JayRx1981 »

Offline Scoutmedic

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2017, 10:24:15 pm »
This is pretty cool. The girlfriend might actually like it as well. Lol 🤞

Offline JayRx1981

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:25 pm »
Question to the Beta users, I'm getting the sense that some folks are not getting the "Sorry, Device X is not responding" message followed with a 7-42 second delay with the action finally initializes (e.g. device comes ON or OFF ect.) is that true and if so what in your environment such as; connection speed(s) is there difference based on time of day ect. may be contributing to it?

Question to VERA beta development team are you aware and is there anything the user community can do to help minimizing the delay and when are you envisioning an update?

I solved this problem (at least with my hue lights "timing out") by first adding the Hue Lights via the Hue 2 plugin in Vera's web interface, naming them appropriately, placing them where I wanted them in Vera rooms (I like to group lights as "rooms", even if they are in the same room, so my PC Hue lights get their own room, while my TV Hue lights get another room), and making sure I could control them manually from the Vera web portal. I then linked the Vera to Alexa Beta, gave appropriate aliases, installed and linked plugins, etc, then hit discover in the Alexa App so it would find all the Vera controlled z-wave and hue products, but did NOT hit the hue bridge button. I then hit discover a second time, this time hitting the button on my Hue bridge, which effectively doubled the number of Hue lights found, but allowed me to then associate the hue lights without Vera with a group, so that Alexa responds and turns the lights in the affected groups on almost immediately. No more timeouts (so far), but still able to control via both Alexa and Vera, with room for adding an alexa+vera grouping for each group so that the commands pass through Vera should I need to (for redundancy if nothing else).

Weirdly, ever since a power spike, I can turn on the bedroom lights with Alexa, but she only turns on the Vera associated lights and not the Hue lights. I don't know if it's an old Hue bridge (V1) problem or what, but even though I grouped bedroom lights with a mixture of Vera-controlled and Hue-controlled lights, only the Vera-controlled lights come on with the command, "Alexa, Turn on Bedroom Lights". I tried re-grouping all the Vera-connected lights and get the time-out error but they all turn on. But if I try to pair Vera-controlled lights with Hue-only controlled lights, Alexa only turns on the Vera lights and ignores the hue lights altogether now, or vice versa.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:11:06 pm by JayRx1981 »

Offline ALcALoIDe

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2017, 01:18:29 am »
Hue Bridge v1 does not work with Amazon Echo...
Vera Plus UI7 and lots of zwave devices

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2017, 04:30:45 am »
I updated today to the latest VERA Plus beta firmware hoping it will solve the Echo (device not responding) problem, but it is still the same. I even removed the skill completely then reinstalled it from the link in this thread but with no success. Echo continue to give (device not responding) or (something went wrong) messages whenever i ask it to switch on/off a scene or a device........ please help.

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2017, 06:23:10 pm »
I clicked the link and selected a few devices. The page says that Vera is linked and Alexa tries to access the hub, but gives a not responding error and nothing ever happens. Is there a plugin or something I have to install???

Offline kiethr

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2017, 10:09:16 pm »
With version 7.0.20 everything was working perfectly.  Then my Vera Plus updated to version 7.0.21.  Now the Vera Alexa Skill is broken, the "Turn On" command to be precise.  "Turn Off" works just fine.  "Turn On" seems to work for dimmer switches only, but it turns them on at there lowest power setting. 

Tired disabling the skill and forgetting all devices and re-enabling it and discovered devices and still no luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline fester

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2017, 12:32:16 pm »
  Was having a similar experience yesterday when trying the new firmware with a Vera Lite. Most of the time, Alexa would give me an "OK" but nothing happened with the device. When it did respond sometimes, it would turn off but not on. Had to do a restore from a previous day to get things going again.

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2017, 12:35:16 pm »
So you did a restore but kept the new firmware? That solved the problem?

Offline Sorin

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2017, 02:08:19 pm »
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,49471.0.html
Hello,

For the guys having problems with the turn on command (especially for dimmers): could you please try to trigger a manual upgrade for the "Alexa helper" plugin?

Steps to do that are:
Apps -> My Apps -> Alexa Helper -> Update App

It seems that due to the high load, most plugin updates was not done on time and this causes the "1%" problem.
As Vera now supports setting dimmers to the previous level of the device, the plugin should have been updated, as this is a backwards compatibility limitation.
E.g. I set the a bulb to 70%, turn off, then on turn on, the light will go to the last value (e.g. 70% in this case) instead of going to full brightness.
The plugin is also set to update itself based on a 24h check, but updating it manually should speed up the process.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 02:09:54 pm by John M. »
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION for Customer Care Department - 24/7

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2017, 07:45:31 pm »
I followed the same advice John M. provided and it fixed my issue of my z-wave connected devices not being able to turn on or were turned on at 1%.

I found Alexa has new features now like "turn on device xxx at 50%" and it can tell me the temperature reading of my z-wave connected thermostat. Pretty cool.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 09:06:03 pm by agoodman82 »

Offline kiethr

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2017, 08:51:18 pm »
@john m, thanks for the information. It solved my issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline shady.hamilton

« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2017, 02:16:32 am »
I am still having the same problem

Offline sheepdip

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:45 am »
I also appear to be having the same problem as a few other people in that I click on the UK invitation link, then get the screen about what you would like to control and then click finish, The next page then returns the error "Unable to link your skill. Please try again later".

I have had a look on the skills installed on my echo and the skill is not installed.