Author Topic: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links  (Read 17825 times)

Offline ilikelife

Re: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 10:03:26 am »
The new link worked for me BUT,

On every command, Alexa replies with "Sorry, the devics (name) is not responding"

Then the device DOES respond and does what was requested.  Even dimmer switches work, but only after the delay and "Sorry" message.

I had this problem before this latest fiasco, so it's better than yesterday.  Thanks!

(anyone else having this problem, or suggestions for solutions?)

edit to correct typo

Offline becky

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 10:07:00 am »
The new link worked for me BUT,

On every command, Alexa replies with "Sorry, the devics (name) is not responding"

Then the device DOES respond and does what was requested.  Even dimmer switches work, but only after the delay and "Sorry" message.

I had this problem before this latest fiasco, so it's better than yesterday.  Thanks!

(anyone else having this problem, or suggestions for solutions?)

edit to correct typo

I haven't had that issue with Vera, but I had that exact issue when I was on SmartThings and had it connected to Alexa. She would say sorry, but do what I asked anyway. It seemed to just fix itself after a couple of days.

Offline ilikelife

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 10:12:10 am »

I haven't had that issue with Vera, but I had that exact issue when I was on SmartThings and had it connected to Alexa. She would say sorry, but do what I asked anyway. It seemed to just fix itself after a couple of days.

Thanks becky.  It's been like that since the first update to the beta.  I'll take this to a new thread so this one can stay on

Yay!  It works again!!!

Offline keg_kc

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 10:31:20 am »
I believe I just got my Vera skill working again. I'm not near my Echo to prove it but the skill seems to be updating devices and I can get to the Vera utility page using Vlad's link but not using the recent emails. Very frustrating that the emails didn't have accurate links and/or created a problem and Vera didn't immediately acknowledge and send a new email. Use this link and good luck.

https://pitangui.amazon.com/api/skills/redirect-to-skill-authorization-uri?skillId=amzn1.ask.skill.9ba4e2ba-adbe-4a37-9cdc-1bb1131b2d78;stage=development

Offline mvader

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 11:03:05 am »
Mine are back to working again (US)

Offline pmnb

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 11:09:10 am »
I am also up and running again, but this time, instead of "re-enabling" the existing devices on the Alexa side of things, new ones were created and the previous ones show as offline.   I'll now need to go through the process of "forgetting" the old devices and fixing my group definitions in the Alexa app.

Author of TCPLighting plugin

Offline mtruppi

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 11:20:14 am »
Well, like most I followed the new link, and this one works and allows the skill to be enabled on my Alexa unit.  The skill showed up and the devices showed up after a discovery.

Couple of observations, and I know my systems is different than the typical users.

I have two Vera units bridged and almost all control needed is on the main unit.  (Vera 1)  With the previous skills no matter what I had checked in the list, or given custom names, they all showed up in the list from Vera 1 and Vera 2.  This seems to have been corrected in this skill since I only see the devices or items I wanted.  Before it was a little bit of a pain in the butt to remove all the ones I did not want after a rediscover.

With that being said, the previous skill worked almost perfectly every time.  It was as stable as my own lambda function using the code work from Martin as the foundation. (Thanks again for that, what a good guy)  This revision of the skill on the other hand at this point seems to be spotty.  I checked it when I fixed it this am, and it worked.  I used it from my office just after that with no luck.  Alexa confirmed the command with OK, but nothing happened.  I repeated the command a few more times and she finally told me something to the effect of the "hub" was not connected.  I just tried it again and now it seems to be functioning.  I don't know if the spotty function has something to do with the corrective action that were taken, or if there is something going on with the implementation.  I do know the problem is not with the units and the connection locally. 

Not skill related but I can agree with what Aaron posted about the way this was handled.  Vera, I really have no idea how you can operate like this.  I watched the responses from Vlad saying people were using the wrong links, bad links, and to use the links here.  They did not work, and after people pointed that out, radio silence.  That is really not the right way to handle reports of a problem.  There was never even a hint of Vera saying to themselves "Hey guys, we might have a problem going on here". 

I realize no one is exactly running a loved ones life support systems on Vera Zwave, and I do further realize this is a beta.  I have been using my Vera's for quite some time to automate entry/exit, alarm alert functions, text/email/push notifications, and basic TOD functions.  Yes I have workarounds I use and that is fine with me for select issues.  That is part of working with any product/platform.  Vera has been stable, fast, and for the most part trouble free for me once a level of function was established.  I do not do any update unless it is for something I really want or need.  I really do like the stuff, but I do not like the overall development side of Vera. 

We are not all experts, but we are all not idiots either.  There are two things keeping me on Vera, VeraMate and other plugins from contributors.  The idea that keeping a customer is reliant on third parties should tell you something.

I think all we want comes down to two simple things.  Listen to us if you expect us to beta test and keep the ones who are testing in the loop. 

Edit 1:  As I posted this, it is not responding again.  When this happens if you follow the link to make a device adjustment, the plugin update fails.  So Alexa is not talking to Vera when this happens.
Edit 2:  When this occurs the controller is also marked off line by the Vera portal.  The controller is not offline and does respond to remote commands from Vera mate. while on the local network if that helps Vera out at all.  Looking at the dashboard on home.getvera.com it shows the Vera 3 is online and the Vera Plus is not.  Again, not the case it is online and has a internet connection as reported by the unit itself.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:15:39 pm by mtruppi »
Vera Plus bridged to Vera 3 over 10G house/building.  Schlage FE599s, Motion sensors, switches, micro dimmers, garage/door/window sensors, Nest, Dakota Murs driveway/mailbox triggers, 14 HIK Cameras, Ted, Alexa Echo/dots, geolocation, ping sensors, VeraMate

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 11:33:32 am »
Thanks Vlad, that solved it. Although for some weird reason, the 1st time I clicked the US link it took me to Amazon rather than Getvera. The second click brought up Getvera. I'm at work on a computer I have not used for this before so I am sure it's not cookies or history.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline rafale77

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 11:55:30 am »
I guess I will stay out and just recommend using the ha-bridge for now... Lack of flexibility and reliability is keeping me away.
"Classic Vera" but it is in beta. I really wish it brought some additional functionality compared to a hue bridge but it actually has less and is slower.
Openluup (18 devices, 58 scenes, 11 apps) and iobroker controlling VeraPlus with 116 zwave nodes, 8 Zigbee nodes, 7 apps, 244 vera devices, 79 scenes; VeraEdge (0 node, 26 devices, 6 App, 0 scene); Bridged to Homekit and Alexa.

Offline fester

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 12:47:26 pm »
Happened to wake up around 4:00am checked the iPad for any news and found new link to the Skill and back up in five minutes, Kudos for the fix :-)

Offline jr4div2

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2017, 12:48:16 pm »
Not working for me.  The link is working now, but when I go to click "Finish", it seems way to quickly to give the green check and state "Done", but then I get the error "An error occurred while attempting to link Alexa with the external provider. Please try again later.".  I'm at work and not on my home network, but this used to work fine from work I believe.

Welllll, the Alexa skill installed on my attempt at 12:45 EST.  I'll have to get home to see if it's working.

As an aside, I am not receiving any emails regarding new skills.  I rechecked my Beta enrollment and it's still there.  What gives, Vera guys?

Offline Stonewallace

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2017, 01:41:13 pm »
I believe I just got my Vera skill working again. I'm not near my Echo to prove it but the skill seems to be updating devices and I can get to the Vera utility page using Vlad's link but not using the recent emails. Very frustrating that the emails didn't have accurate links and/or created a problem and Vera didn't immediately acknowledge and send a new email. Use this link and good luck.

https://pitangui.amazon.com/api/skills/redirect-to-skill-authorization-uri?skillId=amzn1.ask.skill.9ba4e2ba-adbe-4a37-9cdc-1bb1131b2d78;stage=development

With this link, I was able to get my Alexa integration working again. The "Update Skill" link in my email from Vera resulted in a blank web page with only a {"message":null} error. After disabling the skill on my Alexa app, I used the following link to update my devices with Alexa. All of my previous selections and custom names were still there, and after clicking on "Done" at the bottom of the page, It worked for me once again! Thanks for the link!

Offline Quilbilly

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2017, 01:57:13 pm »
Stuff breaks, I get it, however... one really important part of building trust is having good communication. We receive an E-mail that has a link that doesn't work, that E-mail also references a website that has a link that doesn't work. Now there is a new link that works (thanks for this!) yet there is no new E-mail with the updated link, and nobody updated the website version of the E-mail. Both of these are simple things to do. If you want to stop confusion, frustration, and aid your support people... "Get the fix to the people", don't make them search for a fix on the second page of a forum.

BTW... MCV I Love my Veras over the years, love the new Alexa beta, I just don't love your communication or lack there of. :-)

Offline Aaron

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 02:09:34 pm »
How do we install the Alexa Skill?

Offline mvader

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 02:14:10 pm »
How do we install the Alexa Skill?

once you click the link and go through the process of picking your devices, it will install it automatically