Author Topic: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links  (Read 17169 times)

Offline sheepdip

Re: Amazon Alexa Home Skill Update (2) - with new invite links
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2017, 05:12:20 am »
I don't know if its a coincidence but been trying all morning to link my vera to alexa and it didnt work however I had a couple of custom names that consisted of 2 words ie kitchen light. I changed these descriptions to 1 word descriptions and it installed first time.

Offline seanNJ

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2017, 10:50:00 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a command to set the thermostat to the heater or A/C mode? been trying different commands to set it to A/C but nothing seems to work.
Searched official alexa command list but it doesn't mention setting the thermostat mode to heating/cooling.

things i've tried
"set thermostat to cool/ to cooling /  to A/C."
"set thermosat mode to cool/ to cooling" / to A/C"

thanks

Offline seanmclean

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2017, 10:17:39 pm »
Is there any way to control virtual switches in the beta?

Offline Mike Yeager

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2017, 07:56:42 am »
It requires a small change to the virtual device file itself, but it's possible. I don't have the changes handy, but someone actually uploaded a file that handles it for you. Search the Alexa messages. If you don't find it, I'll look for it tonight. I'm headed to work in a few...

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2017, 03:32:29 pm »
I read the first couple of pages and the last page of this thread.

So I've installed the alexa assistant and added the devices to alexa.

Where do I get the alexa skill to make it work? I spoke too soon. It showed up in the Smart Home Tab in the Alexa App. and all my devices and scenes are there (well most of them).

By most of them, some devices and scenes were said to be incompatible, mainly cameras from the Blue Iris PlugIn.

Do I need to sign up for the beta or am I in by following the instructions on page 1 of this thread?

It would be nice to see Vera in this list:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 03:39:28 pm by Sammy2 »

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2017, 07:32:55 pm »
So is this known to cause issues with access through home.getvera.com? I cannot access by controler through relay but can connect to it by opening up an RDP session and logging into my local network. If I try to connect by logging in to the local machine I get the "Controller Not Available" screen even though it was just available via its local IP address.

Offline Exorcist

« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2017, 02:54:51 am »
Installing Alexa Helper and updating the app did the trick.
By the way, can i call scenes with this technique?
I have created a scene that triggers two different light switches, that has dimmer bulbs 5 bulbs each, total of 10 bulbs. I would like to call out, "turn the lights on to 50%, or Turn the lights on to 100%, this way the lights should turn on to the desired settings for both the light switches, thus turning on all the 5 bulbs on each switches.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2017, 10:50:05 am »
So is this known to cause issues with access through home.getvera.com? I cannot access by controler through relay but can connect to it by opening up an RDP session and logging into my local network. If I try to connect by logging in to the local machine I get the "Controller Not Available" screen even though it was just available via its local IP address.

Reloading Lua didn't fix this issue but I was able to give the VeraPlus a kick in the pants this morning by power cycling it and now I can log in remotely and use the app.

Alexa is responding to commands now and not saying there's an issue with the hub most of the time. One thing, I have several "macros" (I call them one-touch controls) using Virtual Panel Plugin and Alexa will execute them to turn on the macro, which is basically a scene, but will not turn off the macro, which is basically another scene that reverses what the previous scene does. Also, Vera will not show that the macro has executed.

This leads me to believe that Alexa actually executed the scene "Pool Heat On" for example, rather than the macro. For whatever reason, it choked on executing the "Pool Heat Off" scene, which basically reverses the "On" scene.

Is anyone else seeing issues like this? Should I open a ticket with MiCasaVerde or are they monitoring this thread as they are the ones that started it?

TIA.

Offline Exorcist

« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2017, 12:37:10 pm »
I still need help with this.
I have created a scene manually, named it "Good Night". For this scene, i am shutting down all the lights of the house with this one click Good Night.
Now when i call out "Alexa, turn on Good Night", it doesnt work, and in response alexa repsonds, "sorry i didnt find good night".
Everything else works good, if i try to turn on and off a single individual light through alexa, but still trying to make scenes work.

Please guide.

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2017, 12:50:21 pm »
Did you click "Discover" again in the Alexa App or Web GUI (alexa.amazon.com)?

Offline Exorcist

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:48 pm »
Did you click "Discover" again in the Alexa App or Web GUI (alexa.amazon.com)?

Thanks for your replies Sammy, I have clicked Discover both through WebUI and through the app on the phone several times, and i do not see those newly created scenes showing up. It just shows 19 scenes before and after. The good night scene, or any other scene that i have created do not show up.
Although if i call on alexa to trigger a device directly, it works jut fine, just that the scenes do not show up.

Offline shallowearth

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 04:23:55 am »
Did you actually go to the plugin registration and put a check mark next to your scene to make it visible to Alexa?

Offline cranb

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 08:34:02 am »
Hi,

I took a different approach. Within the Alexa app i created a group. In this group (name: "all living room lights") i put all the lights that i want to turn off in 1 time. So now i can say to Alexa: turn off "all living room lights". Works perfectly and for me this a more natural approach then "turning on" a scene resulting in "turning off" lights

Offline Sammy2

« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 09:40:39 pm »
Look also under devices in Alexa. Some scenes actually show up as devices. I've noticed this for my insteon fanlincs for which I've given up on controlling with Vera and the USB Power Line Modem and am setting up to control with Alexa using a cheap Insteon hub harvested from one of their kits and sold on amazon.

This grouping concept looks promising for all the reasons stated above but for these same fans of which there are three in one group and two in another in my backyard patio and gazebo by the pool respectively.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Offline john.oliver

« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2017, 07:07:40 am »
The beta skill install process went without a hitch for me, and it discovered my Yale YRD220 zwave lock first time. I can check it's state and lock it with "Alexa, is the front door locked" and "Alexa lock the front door".

Initially she kept saying there were multiple matching devices, which one? I'd say "the front door" and then it would usually work. I finally realised why: the lock was called "front door lock" which made the commands a bit confusing. When I gave it a Custom Device Name"Front Door" in the Vera Alexa Setup screen it works perfectly.

So don't call your lock "lock" as it will cause Alexa to get confused between the noun and the verb.