We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 2-GIG Thermostat now available at ASIHome!  (Read 18832 times)

Offline ASIHome

Offline fall-line

Re: 2-GIG Thermostat now available at ASIHome!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:52 pm »
Nice, thanks Barry.

I know there are several forum members that have a two wire thermostat connection might be interested in this unit since it can power itself off of the batteries.

Offline akashk

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:52:28 pm »
Wish I had waited. Just got this from homesecuritystore.com for almost $20 more than the ASIHome price. Oh well !! >:(

Offline Automated

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:27:54 pm »
I JUST got the Trane thermostat delivered today. I will need to buy another one for upstairs, and this one is cheaper! Can anyone speak to the differences between this one and the Trane? One thing I noticed about the Trane unit already is that in Vera you can't see what exact program you are currently in (hold, run, energy savings status check), although you can command it to switch to two of the modes. Also, you can't see anything like if the unit is currently running (cooling, heating, or fan are active). Is it the same for this 2-gig?

Offline grybrd

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:02:40 am »
@Automated ... the 'advanced' tab will show the states of your Trane .. ie. Idle/Heat ON/Cool On.

Offline ASIHome

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:58 am »
One of the differences is the Trane supports Auto mode and the 2-GIG does not.

Offline akashk

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:32:09 pm »
OK...just installed the 2-gig and was a bit surprised (mostly due to ignorance of what it would or would not do). Here is my review/findings......

Stand-alone interface
- was easy to install. I did not have a 24vac power wire from the furnace so I used the supplied batteries. The unit works fine on battery power. Screen is bright and nice.
- takes a bit of an effort for initial programming. Some of the touch-screen icons are miniature and you almost are better off using a stylus for accuracy.
- The unit can be programmed for each day of the week. The nice feature is  "Copy Program"  which will copy your current program into the next day. Since my Mon-Fri program is similar, this feature is pretty handy.

Z-wave interface
- pairing with my Vera 2 was relatively pain-free. In order to join the network, I took the Vera to the unit and put the Vera in the include mode and pressed the "mate" touch-screen icon. After successfully connected to the Vera network, the word "Link" shows up below the radio icon.
- also noticed that the words "Remote Control" shows up to the right of the screen. No idea what this is and what it does. I guess it has something to do with the z-wave network.

Anyways, once added to the z-wave network, the local programming on the unit stops working. I found this out when the target temps did not initiate. Looks like the 7-day programming is only available when using this unit as a stand-alone (not connected to z-wave). Not sure if the Tranes behave the same way. Eventually I removed this unit from the z-wave network and currently am using this as a stand-alone so I can use the 7-day programming feature.

Now, my question is in order to use 7-day programming on this device with Vera, what do I have to do? Once I had this on the Vera network, I could only see the options for setting the temps at a certain degrees and stay there. What I would like to be able to do in Vera is to set different temps for different times of day as well as different days of the week. Do I have to create multiple scenes for this or luup programming? Anyone using this thermostat with z-wave can shed some light? Also, what does the "Remote Control" mean on the display? I do not have this unit on z-wave network, but still the Remote Control shows up on the screen. As always, any help is appreciated.

Offline Les F

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »
Nice, thanks Barry.

I know there are several forum members that have a two wire thermostat connection might be interested in this unit since it can power itself off of the batteries.

Just noticed this...  So can I take this unit and replace my pellet stove thermostat with it?  ( Pellet stove uses 2 wire mechanical thermostat).

Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline akashk

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:38:26 pm »
Found a bit more about the 2 gig stats. The company that makes them is RadioThermostat (http://www.radiothermostat.com/control.html). These stats come with a wifi module by default if purchased from them and are sold at your local Home Depot's for $99 under the 3M brand. The model is 3M-50 and the only difference between the 3M-50 and the CT30 is that the 3M-50 support auto mode and come with a wifi module instead of a z-wave USNAP module. The cool thing is that they have a nice looking iPhone/Android app which is free without any monthly service charges. Also a very active/helpful board.

I purhcased this stat yesterday from my local HD and the wifi module that came with it fit nicely in my CT30 that I bought earlier. Since these stats have 2 slots I am going to try and use both the wifi module as well as the z-wave module in one thermostat. So even if vera is down, I can still get updates from my stat and control it with my iPhone.

Only caveat is that for the wifi module to work, you HAVE to have a 24VAC C wire powering the unit (otherwise the batteries drain in a couple of days). Since I am in no mood to pull new wires to my stat location, I am going to rig a 24V transformer and connect it to the stat from my nearest plug.
BTW, still looking for help in programming this thermostat in Vera (Luup code anyone?) ;D

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 08:53:49 am »
According to their forums they arent releasing their [wifi based] API until next year.

Offline newbneedshelp

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 09:32:09 am »
@Automated ... the 'advanced' tab will show the states of your Trane .. ie. Idle/Heat ON/Cool On.

Thank you --but waht "@Automated" would be? I appologize but I am too nw to recognize the mental shortcut.
Vera 3 UI v.5 (downgraded fromv.7)
Kwikset lock, 2 x Aeon HEM e1 2-phase, Insteon/X10, Trane Thermostat, 2 x Panasonic cams, bunch of in walll relays(some even work).

Offline akashk

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:51:40 am »
Click on the little wrench icon on the top right. One of the tabs is advanced.
"@ Automated" is the screen name to whom grybrd was replying to... ;D ;D

Offline civet

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 05:13:40 pm »
Just wondering if you have had any success in getting both modules to work in one unit?

I purhcased this stat yesterday from my local HD and the wifi module that came with it fit nicely in my CT30 that I bought earlier. Since these stats have 2 slots I am going to try and use both the wifi module as well as the z-wave module in one thermostat. So even if vera is down, I can still get updates from my stat and control it with my iPhone.

Offline akashk

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 01:21:36 pm »
Haven't tried it yet, but according to the support guys at radiothermostat, should not be a prob. Since I do not have a 24V cable from the furnace, I am waiting to buy a transformer that will do the job (you need power in order to run the wifi module, but not to run the z-wave module)

Offline kdiggz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 04:06:23 pm »
finally got around to installing this.  pairing with vera was easy and i set a bunch of scenes to program it.  trouble is, i set the target temp and it never reaches it.  my last thermostat had no problems.  just as a test, i turned it up to 80 about 3 hrs ago and it's still stuck at 72.  maybe i missed something stupid but i went through the directions twice.  anyone else have any issues?