We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: 2-GIG Thermostat now available at ASIHome!  (Read 18944 times)

Offline shady

• This monkey knows his Window Coverings!
Re: 2-GIG Thermostat now available at ASIHome!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 04:41:04 pm »
Remember that if you are one wire short for the thermostat, this product may be able to help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6BpIc843pA
Vera3 1.5.346, Schlage (3)DB (2)Lever, Kwikset (1)Lever, RCS TZ43 Thermo, (2) Vizia RZI06-1LX 600W Dimmers, (17) Monster (Leviton) Dimmers (6) Monster (Leviton) IWC Scene Controllers (1) Etherrain-8, (3) HSM 100's (1)GE 3-Way set

Offline kdiggz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 04:48:02 pm »
i thought the selling point of the 2gig is that it will work on battery power alone?  that is how i am running mine.  is that why its not reaching the desired temp?

Offline Guard

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 11:00:35 pm »
I've been running three 2Gig thermostats for about a month now.  So far, no show-stopper issues.  I have four scenes that set the temperatures: morning, work, evening and night.  The "morning" time is different depending on the day of the week, "work" doesn't run on Saturday and Sunday, and "night" starts later on Friday and Saturday.  The "night" setting doesn't run while I have my "Party Mode" virtual switch on (so the temperature stays appropriate while guests are over). 

I have two large dogs that sleep in the master bedroom with us.  With four of us taking up oxygen, I have another scene that turns the fan from "Auto" to "On" for 5 minutes every 30 minutes, 10:00pm to 7:00am everyday.  My wife and I sleep better as a result, especially on those warmer nights when the heat doesn't kick on as often.  I have the same type of scene for the second floor thermostat, but it only runs when my virtual switch "Guest Mode" is on. 

There are three additional scenes that, when the first floor thermostat is changed from one mode (heat/cool/off) to another, sets the other two thermostats to the same mode.  So if I change the first floor thermostat from heat to off, the ThermSyncOFF scene is triggered and turns the other two thermostats off.  The idea is to not have the first floor on heat and the second floor on AC at the same time.  Still have some more work on this approach because if one of the other thermostats is changed, I do not sync things up.

My next Luup coding adventure is to have the second floor stay a little cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer unless "Guest Mode" is on then the temperatures will be in line with the rest of the house.  After that, I plan to use the outdoor temperature from the weather device to alert me when I'm running the furnace when its over 78 degrees outside and the AC when its less that 68 degrees.

Two of the thermostats are running on battery, one on 24v power from the HVAC.  No noticeable difference between running on battery vs HVAC power.  Luckily, I have 5 wires to each thermostat so its just a matter of opening up each furnace and connecting the 5th wire to the (C) connection.  None of the thermostats have problems reaching their setpoint temperature (at least in heat mode).

A couple issues I've noticed.  On the main display the fan always shows "On" even though the thermostat is set to "Auto," same problem on the "Control" tab.  Also the Control tab does not display the Energy Save Mode state.  Both issues are minor because the scenes work well at keeping the house temperature comfortable.   
Vera2, Cooper RF9518 x3; GE/Jasco 45609 x3, 45604 x5, 45603 x4, 45602, 45605 x3; 2Gig Thermostat x3

Offline kdiggz

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 09:38:00 am »
as we speak, the unit is supposed to go from 69 to 74 at 8am.  i see that the target changed from 69 to 74 but the temp has not gone up at all and its almost 10am now.  i will probably try running it from a 24v power just to see if that makes a difference but i didnt think i would have to

Offline randman

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »
I have the 3M-50 and use it via WiFi. I was thinking of also getting the Z-Wave module for it so that I can access it via WiFi or Z-Wave. Supposedly, you can use WiFi and Z-Wave. Anyone have experience using both? How well does Vera 2 work with it?

Offline wscannell

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 09:48:21 pm »
On the main display the fan always shows "On" even though the thermostat is set to "Auto," same problem on the "Control" tab.   
This is a bug in the Vera UI on 1047.  It is supposed to be fixed in the current beta firmware, but I have not tried it yet.  This bug affects most thermostats.

Offline akashk

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 10:32:39 pm »
I have the 3M-50 and use it via WiFi. I was thinking of also getting the Z-Wave module for it so that I can access it via WiFi or Z-Wave. Supposedly, you can use WiFi and Z-Wave. Anyone have experience using both? How well does Vera 2 work with it?

I have the 3M-50 (from HD) as well. I tried using both the z-wave and the wifi modules and looks like the z-wave takes precedence over the wifi module so it is iffy to use both at the same time. Either one by itself should work fine though on the 3M-50. Seems like there is a slight difference in power requirement for the 2 gig Tstat which makes the use of the wifi module a bit tricky on that unit.

Offline randman

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 09:03:15 am »
Theoretically, the 3M50 (from HD) can support both at the same time. Also see http://forums.radiothermostat.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4660 . The caveat seems to be that the Z-Wave would override the internal programming of the WiFi. But, I would be okay with that provided I can still manually look at and set the temp via WiFi ocassionally.

What is you experience with using both? Can you explain further what you refer to as "iffy"?

BTW, I have the C wire connected so I have power for WiFi. From what I've read, the WiFi consumes a lot more power than Z-Wave.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:05:59 am by randman »

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 09:27:41 am »
What is you experience with using both? Can you explain further what you refer to as "iffy"?
This perhaps?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline randman

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 10:52:11 am »
Not 100% clear that the Z-Wave module being installed along with the WiFi module was at fault, especially since the Z-Wave module had not yet been setup with the Z-Wave network. Maybe the reset helped, although the user said that they did reset before which didn't help - maybe the user did not press the HOLD button, so the manual target temp didn't hold.

Well, ideally I'd like to have my cake and eat it too (i.e. it's nice to have my thermostat as part of my Z-Wave network (so I can use the SAME app for lights, thermostats, etc.) but also have WiFi access for other times (for example, I have a Pronto remote that I'm interested in setting up to use the now officially supported http access to the thermostat ... but I suppose my Pronto can be configured to use http to Vera 2, but the less dependenices, the better). I suppose another option is if there were a way for Vera to access the thermostat via WiFi only.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:25 am »
[...] Maybe the reset helped, although the user said that they did reset before which didn't help - maybe the user did not press the HOLD button, so the manual target temp didn't hold.[...]
My assumption was that @akashk over there is @akashk over here. We'll find out.  :)
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline randman

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 11:46:51 am »
Oh. Didn't notice that. Good observation.

Offline akashk

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 11:16:19 pm »
Oh. Didn't notice that. Good observation.

Same guy..... ;D ;D

Offline kaldoon

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 08:10:23 am »
Spent about 30 minutes on the phone with tech-support from Radio Thermostat on Wednesday and he talked about the ability to run 2 different u-snap modules in the CT30 stats (wifi and Z-wave / Z-Wave and Zigbee or wifi and Zigbee) - they combinations have all been tested by them  ;D   

Offline smilligan

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 03:33:43 pm »
Hello,

We are interested in the CT30 T-stat with 802.11 usnap module.
However we have two T-Stats that are OUT OF RANGE of zWave mesh, and wish to communicate with them via 802.11

The questions are:
1) is there a plugin for the CT30 http API?
2) Has anyone had luck with standard T-Stat VERA web interface relative to controlling CT30 (or CT80 for that matter) via 802.11?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Kind Regards
Sean