Author Topic: CT30 Loses Connection with Vera 3  (Read 605 times)

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
CT30 Loses Connection with Vera 3
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:38:45 pm »
Since about early January, my CT30 seems to lose communication with Vera on a fairly consistent basis.  I usually see it when all but 1 z-wave device is not responding. It seems my 1 switch in the garage, about 6 feet from the controller, survives. The garage man door sensor is battery operated but about 3 feet from the controller typically stops responding.  The other devices are at least 10 feet away and the furthest is maybe 20 feet away - but the z-wave mesh is pretty tight and I have no issues except this thermostat.

So first time it knocked out the z-wave network, I did an exclude/included of all devices to get them back on mesh. That lasted about week, then the network was down again. Hmmm. Did the exclude/include again, watched it about a week, and noticed it was the CT30 acting up first, and it would take down other devices. Maybe a switch, a motion detector, an outlet, or a sensor.  Excluded/included it, the mesh healed, and it seemed to work - for a week.

So focusing on the CT30 when it acted up, I discovered I could unplug the USNAP module, plug it back in, and send a configure node in Vera and it would repair the thermostat communication. I kept an eye on it and for all of February and most of March, about every 5 days, the CT30 stops communicating with Vera, and slowly knocks out most of the z-wave devices. I unplug the USNAP, plug it back in, configure the node, and configure any other nodes that went down.  All are back up within 15 minutes.  Very repeatable.

So tonight I ordered a USNAP module from Amazon ($20) to see if that is what is wrong with the CT30.  If that does not work, I will likely buy a CT100.

Anyone see a similar behavior in the CTx's from Radio Thermostsat?   
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Don Phillips

Re: CT30 Loses Connection with Vera 3
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:21:51 pm »
Received the new USNAP module earlier in the week and when I plugged it in, I noticed the icon for transmitting was always flashing, compared to the original one flashing only once in a while.  Today, the old USNAP disconnected so I unplugged it, added a new CT30 to Vera to connect the new USNAP module, and played with the settings to point to the new device number.  Seems to be working (except for the fan status is not appearing).

I'll give it a couple of weeks and report back.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:14:51 pm »
The USNAP change did not make a difference and the CT30 still disconnects after 5 days. Unplugging and reinserting the UNSNAP reconnects it to Vera, and the z-wave network heals almost immediately.

I noticed Lowes has the CT101 on sale for $60.00. I'll pick one up tomorrow afternoon and report back when I get a chance to install it.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:14:49 pm »
Install went fine, got a humidity sensor as a bonus. Changed my PLEG and Scenes so I'll see if it is stable after a week or 2.

Offline agoodman82

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:24:53 pm »
I had a smilier issue with my CT-80 using a wi-fi USNAP module. All of a sudden at random it lost it's connection to my Vera Edge, and continued doing so multiple times every few days. Being that it has two module interfaces, I purchased a USNAP z-wave module and installed that in conjunction with the wifi module. It create a separate instance of the thermostat device in Vera, albeit with fewer visual options than my wifi thermostat device using the Radio Thermostat plugin had. But since the z-wave module installation I haven't had any issues with the thermostat device operating on the wifi module. As a bonus the z-wave module allows me to control the CT-80 using Amazon Echo.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:44 pm »
I was hoping getting the new USNAP would solve it but I am convinced it was the t-stat itself, especially when I simply had to unplug and replug in the USNAP and it immediately connected to Vera. So far the CT101 is working since Friday.

Offline MarkAgain

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 12:32:45 am »
Glad you finally found an answer!  Just not so easy sometimes. 

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 09:58:42 am »
Install went fine, got a humidity sensor as a bonus. Changed my PLEG and Scenes so I'll see if it is stable after a week or 2.

The CT101 has been working great for about 3 weeks, no issues.  Even Vera seems to be more stable.  LUUP restarts occur about every 3 to 5 days instead of a couple of times a day. Not sure what was wrong with the CT30 but it is boxed and in the garage for future use as a standalone thermostat.