We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: notification of power loss  (Read 24513 times)

Offline marinus

notification of power loss
« on: November 23, 2010, 09:40:35 am »
I have a holiday house in France and besides a remote controllable thermosat ,I  also want to know if it is possible to have an alarm via sms or email when the main powersupply fails. As additional hardware you need a backup battery for the vera and the router.
Is it a known scenario? has it been done? some advise?

Offline mtf

Re: notification of power loss
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:03:13 am »
I haven't done it, but I assume there are 2 possible ways to do this:

1) Get a Smart UPS and connect a USB cable to the Vera box, but I suspect the trouble will be creating drivers etc so it might not be too easy and will depend upon the specific make of UPS etc.

2) Buy a z-Wave battery powered whole house power monitoring device and keep an eye on the usage, if it falls to zero you know you have no power

3) Don't buy anything and try to guess if the power is out because your thermostat, which is polled each minute, hasn't been reporting back to the Vera.  Of course that could just be a fault on your thermostat/vera so if you have other mains powered devices you might want to check those as well before jumping to any conclusions!

If you do plug your Vera into a UPS you will want to make sure if the UPS battery goes flat then the UPS switches itself back on when power is restored.

Offline Les F

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 12:23:16 pm »

How about taking external inputs to an HRDS1 and hook them to the contacts of either a constant duty relay, or solid state relay, plug relay (or relay power supply if dc relay) into power that is not on UPS.  Power loss would trip the hrds1 and signal vera that something power wise has happened.   Kludgy but 'fairly' foolproof.

Something I have been toying around with doing myself...

(Of course make sure that besides vera, your router / dsl /cable modem is on UPS too 8^)  )

Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline mtf

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:06:33 pm »
I like your thinking here, in fact it occurs to me that some of the old smart UPS's indicated the status by setting one of the RS232 wires either high or low, perhaps you could use a couple of cables from the RS232 to power a small relay?

Offline Les F

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 05:37:23 pm »

Oh yeah... I forgot about that... on the APC's it was somthing like the TX data pin would transition high when on battery.
Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline saf101

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:01:42 pm »
I do not think that this will work in France but here in  the states you could purchase a TED5000 http://www.theenergydetective.com/store/ted-5000 I purchased the TED5000 and Vera because I was told they had a plugin. But like other things it was not done or integrated.

But as of this week a user Woodsby came up with something that works very well
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=5371.0

Offline woodsby

• Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 05:24:03 am »
Yes, using ted5000, you can create a notification or a scene to run if voltage goes below X volts... for this purpose.
Vera1 (1.1142), Vera2 (1.1182), VRI06 (12), VRS15 (3), VRS05 (2), VRF01 (2), VRCS4 (2), ZRW113, ZRF113 (2), 45602, 45603, TZMT400 (2), FE599 (2), 99100, Thinkstick, Harmony 890Pro (2), Harmony RF Extender, Nevo S70, Nevo NC-50, Minimote, SQ Remote, SQ Blaster, EtherRain-8, Cliste ActiveRFID, TED5002

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:23:37 pm »
In a power outage, you would need a UPS backup for your Vera box, router and cable modem for Vera to alert you when power goes down via a Scene.

I seem to remember the old web interface having an option to notify me if Vera went down or couldn't communicate with MCV (via MCV's central servers). Don't see that option now.
.//A.

Yes, using ted5000, you can create a notification or a scene to run if voltage goes below X volts... for this purpose.
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline garrettwp

• Master Member
  • Vera 3, Lite, ISY994
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:53:53 am »
Not a vera option, but I have my main server and router and modem on upses. The ups that is hooked up to the server, I have configured to notify me via email if there is any power issues. The key is to make sure that internet access and your computer or vera be on the ups when the power fails. Otherwise it would defeat the point of getting notified of a power loss.

- Garrett

Offline myhomeserver

• http://www.MyZwave.net
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:50:11 am »
But then someone takes out a pole bringing down, power and cable/DSL/phone....So, I'd like to explore notification on power and an automatic failover to a cell network using my Verizon MIFI

Since I have my Vera2 in Wifi Client mode, I wish it could failover wireless to a secondary network if the first isn't available...

Any ideas here?
MyZWave.net - See Our Z-Wave product Reviews
(formerly MyHomeServer)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:08:45 am »
But then someone takes out a pole bringing down, power and cable/DSL/phone....
It's all about probabilities vs. cost though.

So, I'd like to explore notification on power and an automatic failover to a cell network using my Verizon MIFI
Since I have my Vera2 in Wifi Client mode, I wish it could failover wireless to a secondary network if the first isn't available...
Rather than a function of Vera, I'd see that as a function of your primary router. So you could consider an appropriate dual-WAN router.  Quick google: something like Cradlepoint MBR1200?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline JOD

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 01:30:15 pm »
My Internet & Vera are on a UPS. I'm running a TED5000 and @Woodsby's plugin and refreshing every 5 seconds.
A scene is setup with an event "when voltage drops below" X volts to fire my "Critical Power Off" scene turning all devices off and putting my t-stats in "Off" and of course shoot me an email.

It works so well I had @mcvovidiu call me one weekend when I was away from home to tell me I was having a power outage!!  ;D
He was actually calling to tell me I should increase my email limit as the event server was sending me power outage notifications every 5 seconds, come to think of it, the next day is when we all experienced the event server meltdown....But I don't think the two incidents were related

I would imagine it would be just a matter of setting up another scene to ping your Internet and automatically flip flop a couple of devices (connected to a UPS) to engage a second IP service somehow.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline mtf

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 05:53:13 pm »

Any ideas here?

I have been thinking about that as an option ever since I bought the Veras for our vacation homes.  It is something that would be very useful for us, if only because sometimes our router loses its configuration settings (perhaps the guests reset it) and we suddenly find it necessary to get somebody in to reconfigure it for us before the Vera can get out on the network again.  Ideally if our WiFi network disappears I would like our Vera to be able to look for the MAC Address of our router and if it has been reset to connect to it.

In fact it isn't too difficult, you need the following command to get the information on local access points:

iwlist scanning

That gives a nice list of all the nearby access points along with details on whether they have encryption enabled etc.  It shouldn't be too hard to create a shell script to parse that information and put it into the file:

/etc/config/wireless

The only other thing you then need to consider is how to make the Vera recognise that you have changed that file and I am guessing the easiest and most reliable way to do that is:

/etc/init.d/network restart

I would write a script to do this and try it out myself, but as I live on the other side of the Atlantic to our Veras I don't want to risk it going wrong and losing connection to our Vera for another 4 months until I get out there to deal with it.  It is however something that I will be looking to do in August when I get there.

Offline tripletdad

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:43:23 am »
JOD: I notice that you mentioned having a scene that puts your thermostats to "OFF" in the event of a power failure.

Can you elaborate on that? I am new to all this stuff, but controlling my thermostats at my vacation house is one of my primary objectives. Why would you turn them to "off"?

Offline JOD

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:58:55 am »
I have 3 phase A/C units and dont want a single phase condition if the outage is only on one leg.
Also, I dont want to subject the units to short cycle conditions (even though there is a delay built into the T-stat)  if the power is bouncing on & off so it's safer for me to turn them off.

JOD.
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.