Author Topic: Any update on Lightify color temperature bulb integration?  (Read 323 times)

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
Any update on Lightify color temperature bulb integration?
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:16:30 pm »
The one last thing I am waiting on to completely scrap my SmartThings hub is the zigbee color temperature support in my VeraPlus hub. Is there any news of when this will be available? For my purposes anyway, just being able to send the color temperature change command to the bulbs via lua would be great.

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Any update on Lightify color temperature bulb integration?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 11:05:44 am »
For anybody else that might be interested in color temperature lights, I got tired of waiting for Vera to support zigbee color temperature and spent the money to buy several "Philips 466706 Philips Hue Light Recipe Kit". It is basically the Ambiance bulb (color temperature changing, not multicolor) with a dimmer switch. I also bought a Hue hub. With the Hue hub, I was able to write rules for the dimmer switch so the color temperature is set depending on the time of day. Also added some additional rules for the dimmer switch ON button to manually set the color temperature to 4 different settings if I want to override the automatic color temperature setting. It was kind of a painful process, as I had to use the CLIP API debugger to create my rules, but now that it is done I hope I don't ever have to change. Also, the dimmer switch is a perfect replacement for turning the lights on and off at the switch; I installed it right next to the switch and it was easy to retrain to use the dimmer switch instead of the regular switch to control the lights.

An additional feature that came with the Hue hub and dimmer switch is that all the lights come on at the specified temperature/brightness at the same time. I have 3 bulbs in the bathroom, and when I used the Smartthings hub to set the color temperature, there was a large delay before the color temperature changed (bulbs came on at the default color temperature initially) and the lights changed color temperature serially. I could live with that but it was not ideal.

Hated that I had to (OK, wanted to!) fork out the money to replace the lightify bulbs, but after the latest VeraPlus firmware release it looked to me like the focus was going to be on the new services and not adding new device functionality. Now that it is all over I'm really glad that I did.