Author Topic: Sense Energy Meter  (Read 469 times)

Offline tameanaka

• Sr. Newbie
Sense Energy Meter
« on: April 06, 2017, 03:08:12 pm »
Anyone tried out the Sense home energy meter?  Seems almost too good to be true.

Sense

Offline dpaik

Re: Sense Energy Meter
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:59:45 am »
I tried it but had issue with my power panel being a 4 wire main input vs the more common 2 wire main input and had to return it because i could get the sensor loops to fit correctly.  This being said i did have a chance to play with the software and UI was good.  They stated they were working on a 4 wire main input solution and i would give a try again if this is the case.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »
When you say 4 wire, do you mean 3 phase with a neutral? I have not seen much 3 phase in residential, it is normally single phase.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline dpaik

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:56 pm »
240v main coming in but not sure if it is 3 phase or not.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:40:50 pm »
240V is typically single phase. 3 phase is typically 208V phase to phase. In a 4 wire system you normally do not count the grounding conductor, which is what may have confused me. You probably have a 240V, single phase, 2 hot, 1 neutral, and a ground. 
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline dpaik

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »
Here's a pic I sent to Sense to help them troubleshoot my unusual readings I was getting on their app.  Wasn't especially impressed with their support however.  Took them a while to figure out that it wasn't a hardware or seating of the loop sensor issue but an issue with their system not having a 4 loop sensor option.  Their upper level support finally figured it out.  That being said if I had a standard installation I think the data would have been of good use to find all the energy hogs in my home.