Author Topic: How to leave the lock unlocked for longer  (Read 149 times)

Offline Aestheticstudios

How to leave the lock unlocked for longer
« on: May 11, 2017, 03:42:36 am »
Hello All

PROBABLY THAT SIMPLE OF AN ANSWER that I couldn't find it through search!

I run a creative space that will book out 5 hours blocks of studio time and would like to have the code entered once, and then remain unlocked for the entire duration of the 5 hour session. We are using the generic Z-WAVE DOOR LOCK LS 8015 and a vera edge system.

Alternatively, we are also having a z wave lock on the building door, could we set it up so once you enter your unique code on the front door, it also unlocks the assigned studio lock as well? If so, how?

Offline Don Phillips

Re: How to leave the lock unlocked for longer
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 03:57:31 pm »
My immediate answer would be to use PLEG, only because I know it is extremely flexible and much easier to program (to me) than LUA. You may run into limitations using just scenes.

My first stab is to set up a scene that is triggered that by that code, if UI7 can do that (not being familiar with your hardware). The scene would start a 5 hour timer (you can use the Countdown plug-in), and it would trigger the unlock the door scene.  At the end of the timer, a scene would lock both doors. That would be the concept.

Play with that and as you learn what it can and cannot do, you may have to switch to PLEG.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:36:25 pm »
The first thing that you need to check is whether the locks send immediate notification of state change to the controller or not. If they do, you can create scenes that will do other tasks based on the state change of the primary lock.

A simple example would be a scene that is triggered by the door being unlocked and its action is to immediately unlock a second door. A similar scene to LOCK the doors could be written as well. Be careful with this, however, if your second lock is a deadbolt as you'll need to check to be sure the door is physically closed first.

You can have a scene that starts a timer and when the timer expires, it sends a lock signal to the door lock.

If the locks don't send notice of state change, you could use a door sensor as the trigger instead.

There are also things you could do with IFTTT integration against your calendar to lock the doors at the ends of  blocked chunks of time.

Offline Priest

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
I'd use a for sensor either way to be certain the door has been closed. If it's locked but not latched it does no good.

You can tie all the lighting to zwave as well and shut down the lights on them bit by bit as the time expires. If you're not out on time you're in the dark