Author Topic: Metro / Windows 10 (minimalistic) design concept  (Read 654 times)

Offline mouch

Metro / Windows 10 (minimalistic) design concept
« on: May 04, 2017, 10:03:50 am »
Hey guys,
I found several stuff that bothered me in the UI7 design. For instance:
- devices taking a lot of unnecessary space, leading to a lot of scrolling
- duplicate information, e.g. alters being shown on top of the dashboard and under its own menu (which is quite hidden in the structure)
- dashboard top taking way to much space (e.g. connected devices taking up half the screen on my phone, for no relevant information)
- detailed information about error being shown on the device tile (small notification would suffice, with details in the device page)
- coloring is inconsistent, e.g. closed blinds are green, while closed garage door is red (which would rather suggest a warning)
- menu structure far from optimal
- advanced options (configuration) missing in the Windows app

I did some customizing on my controller using CSS, but that was more for fun since it does no help when using the mobile app which I do most of the time. So decided to do some conceptual work and get your feedback.

I'm no designer and I just did some quick drafts with copy paste to have a rough idea how the app/web portal could look like based on the Windows 10 design.

So here are two drafts of what the devices page (including menu) could look like on both PC and phone.
I'll try to do some draft of the dashboard next...

So what do you guys think?

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
Re: Metro / Windows 10 (minimalistic) design concept
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 10:26:24 am »
Hey guys,
I found several stuff that bothered me in the UI7 design. For instance:
- devices taking a lot of unnecessary space, leading to a lot of scrolling
- duplicate information, e.g. alters being shown on top of the dashboard and under its own menu (which is quite hidden in the structure)
- dashboard top taking way to much space (e.g. connected devices taking up half the screen on my phone, for no relevant information)
- detailed information about error being shown on the device tile (small notification would suffice, with details in the device page)
- coloring is inconsistent, e.g. closed blinds are green, while closed garage door is red (which would rather suggest a warning)
- menu structure far from optimal
- advanced options (configuration) missing in the Windows app

I did some customizing on my controller using CSS, but that was more for fun since it does no help when using the mobile app which I do most of the time. So decided to do some conceptual work and get your feedback.

I'm no designer and I just did some quick drafts with copy paste to have a rough idea how the app/web portal could look like based on the Windows 10 design.

So here are two drafts of what the devices page (including menu) could look like on both PC and phone.
I'll try to do some draft of the dashboard next...

So what do you guys think?

have you tried ALTUI and the various kind of UI it offers ? it is responsive design , same app for any device from phone to desktop. see screen shots & more here http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/board,78.0.html

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 11:42:48 am »
In all honest, I rarely use the UI. Only if I need to tinker with Vera. Most of my access is via ImperiHome (as AuthomationHD's development has been stopped for ages now) I only use the Vera app for the geofencing capabilities. I've considered altUI but decided against it based on the above. Even though it's layout is far better than the default UI.

What I am liking is rstrouse's Virtual Panel and I am considering using a bunch of those on the UI at the top. Which may cause me to access Vera's dashboard from my mobile device more. I had several set up but lost them when an firmware upgrade went awry. It seems that the panels are not saved when doing a backup so when it was restored, my panels and the plugin were gone. I spent to much time on those so I'm holding off recreating them until I finish migrating devices from a UI5 Vera. 
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline mouch

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:03:24 am »
AltUI doesn't do the trick since it only affects the web page which I only use for configuration. Moreover it has a lot of flaws on it's own.
I must admit though that I just gave it a quick try and didn't spend much timer trying to fix the issues I had.
I also gave Grasshopper (https://www.microsoft.com/fr-be/store/p/grasshopper/9wzdncrdfm39) and Home Remote (https://www.microsoft.com/fr-be/store/p/home-remote/9nblggh30wp5) a try, but I so far the VeraMobile App is still the best option I found...

I think the UI7 is far from all bad and a big step in the right direction compared to UI5 and I like it that the portal and the app follow a similar design but there is still a lot of work to do.
I'll keep working on some concepts and update my first post... Who knows we might see some of it be picked up by a great plugin/app or even by a future vera update

Offline amg0

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 05:46:20 am »
AltUI doesn't do the trick since it only affects the web page which I only use for configuration. Moreover it has a lot of flaws on it's own.

we should talk about that and since I wrote it I can probably explain some of your questions and I am happy to hear abut these flaws
you do get different UI some more powerful than UI7  some very simple,  you can even create your own panel page any way you want etc. plus it gives you powerful feature that UI7  does not have like variable watches to trigger scenes,  workflows with reboot resistant timers etc ...
you get all this on all devices and that includes the remote access via the VERA MMS servers with proper custom icons etc
feel free to contact me if you want to know more