We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: wall switches at vacation rentals  (Read 7558 times)

Offline Les F

wall switches at vacation rentals
« on: November 28, 2010, 10:51:22 am »

I have been reading over posts about reliability (or lack thereof) of some wall switches.  Also notice that there were comments about wives and guests pushing and holding switches and not tapping.

So for the vacation/rental owners:

What model switches are you using ?, Do guests get confused?  Any switches I should stay away from?

I know that answer is probably to spend the money and buy Leviton,  however sometimes less expensive things can do a simple job just as well.   

Google+ http://bit.ly/2MAVlkR / Instagram: http://bit.ly/2lIcsFT / Pinterest http://bit.ly/2KCSYRm (Yes, Pinterest is for guys too! take a look)

Offline tripletdad

Re: wall switches at vacation rentals
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:38:34 am »
I'm looking for the same info! I haven't purchased wall switches yet, and hoping to save some money while still getting a reliable system. Any advice would be appreciated!

Offline robinnes

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 11:07:32 am »
I've been using the Intermatic CA3000 binary (on or off- not a dimmer) for two locations for a couple of weeks now and they've been perfect.
Nice thing is that since they're a simple binary switch- there's on or off only, no dimmer settings to mess with or break.
They can run florescent and or CFL, and LED lights too- I run CFL bulbs in both of my CA3000 switches.
Inclusion was super easy- didn't even read the user guide- just hooked it up- presses the off setting for about 10 seconds- and Vera showed communication success.

A few things to note-
- Like most Z-Wave modules, it's kind of large, so if you have an old tiny outlet box that doesn't go to the full 3.5" depth- it may need to be replaced w/a deeper one. 5 wires come out of this switch- now add wire-nuts and the feed and load wires and you'll see why it's a tight fit.
- It does need the neutral and ground to operate.
- It does make a rather loud audible click when the relay opens or closes. I actually like this characteristic as it lets me know that something just happened at the switch. But you're certainly not going to be able to remotely follow your clients around turning lights off behind them with this switch.

Got both of my switches here (with good results):
http://www.automatedoutlet.com/Specials/INT-CA3000

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:09:47 pm »
For our vacation home (which we often have guests use), we use the:
Leviton VRS15-1LX - Vizia-RF + 15A Relay Switch

This switch works on *any* type of bulb/lamp, and is dead-simple (single push) to use. Expensive, but bulb-agnostic and somewhat future-proof. I can buy a handful and know they'll work everywhere.

For where we need dimmers for Incandescent or LEDs, we picked the matching Leviton dimmers:
Leviton VRI06-1LX (note these don't work well with CFLs).

.//A.
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 07:40:34 am »
I've been using the Intermatic CA3000 binary (on or off- not a dimmer) for two locations for a couple of weeks now and they've been perfect.
Nice thing is that since they're a simple binary switch- there's on or off only, no dimmer settings to mess with or break.
They can run florescent and or CFL, and LED lights too- I run CFL bulbs in both of my CA3000 switches.
Inclusion was super easy- didn't even read the user guide- just hooked it up- presses the off setting for about 10 seconds- and Vera showed communication success.

I installed two of these (also from automated outlet) this weekend for ceiling fans.  The only thing I've noticed is that a local OFF takes about 2 minutes to show in Vera as off.  Similar to the GE 3 ways, where a local off on the AUX switch takes about a minute to register.  Seems to only be delayed for OFF.

Good switches though.

Offline robinnes

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:40:32 pm »

I installed two of these (also from automated outlet) this weekend for ceiling fans.  The only thing I've noticed is that a local OFF takes about 2 minutes to show in Vera as off.  Similar to the GE 3 ways, where a local off on the AUX switch takes about a minute to register.  Seems to only be delayed for OFF.

Good switches though.

Never noticed the delay in OFF notification via local manual control- guess it's because we never have to touch those two switches any longer.
Vera controls them from sunset to sunrise for us now  ;D ;D

Offline yourchef51

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:34:45 am »
Sorry if this is a little off topic but Can you control the dimming through vera using these intermatic on/off switches?  Perhaps within a scene?  Thanks

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 10:45:02 am »
Can you control the dimming through vera using these intermatic on/off switches?
If it's an on/off switch, you can only switch it on or off, locally and through Vera.
If it's a dimmer switch, you can use it as a dimmer, locally and through Vera.

The CA3000 mentioned in this thread is an on/off switch. Those are typically relay based, so you can switch 'anything' (i.e. not just lights) with it. No dimming circuitry.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:49:04 am by oTi@ »
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline robinnes

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 02:03:16 pm »
...The CA3000 mentioned in this thread is an on/off switch. Those are typically relay based, so you can switch 'anything' (i.e. not just lights) with it. No dimming circuitry.
The nice part about the simple on/off CA3000 is it's pretty hard for troublemakers to mess it up like they do with the dimmer switches.
It's just on or off  ;D