Author Topic: Invocation Name  (Read 813 times)

Offline GaryOkie

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Invocation Name
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 01:24:21 pm »
I'm really looking forward to implementing Vera Concierge, but not having to say it! 

My suggestion is for a 2-word personal name that rolls off the tongue easily and isn't language-specific.    Something easy for kids and spouses to remember and say.   It could even be someone identified as using an invisible Force to control things.  ;) 

OK Google, ask Obi Wan to raise the window blinds. 

I'm not a Stars Wars fanatic, but I could easily get used to referring to my Vera HA system with a personal name such as this.   It sure works for the Alexa crowd.

I also thought of taking the abbreviation for "command and control" (C2) to form an automaton name such as C2-D2, C2-PO, or C2-HAL.    (Command and Control Home Automation Listener)   But since it sounds like "See To How" it's probably not a good invocation phrase.   Obi Wan sounds like nothing else and seems to be very easily pronounced and recognized.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 07:01:16 pm »
If it can be customized, you can call the concierge anything you want, Jeeves, HAL, Mom, etc.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:36 pm »
Keep the suggestions coming ... I am still waiting for one (actually two words)  that's not too nerdy ...

Offline Beefy

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 02:22:09 am »
Home control...?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:19 pm »
I like that ... I tried to stay away from home ... because they are not always used in you home.

Offline Albert1

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 03:01:51 pm »
How about Vera-one or Vera-wiz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ophir6

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 02:35:35 am »
Good news: you can now create shortcuts in your Google home app.  This means, you can pick exactly what phrase you want, and you can have it interpreted on the home as "talk to Vera Concierge".

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2017, 09:03:27 pm »
I asked for that feature ... I am surprised they provide it ...

Thanks ophir6 ... I now consider this issue closed.