Author Topic: Anything to use bedside to turn on/off a single device?  (Read 946 times)

Offline Alex Waverley

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Anything to use bedside to turn on/off a single device?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 01:15:18 pm »
I use a Minimote to trigger a "Goodnight" scene. The unit is attached to the bedpost with a Command strip. I don't need portability so I keep it plugged in to a USB power supply all the time. I removed the bidirectional "charge status" led because it was very bright in a dark room. While I had the unit cracked open I took out the battery as well since it no longer served any purpose.

Offline tomtcom

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 02:19:39 pm »
I use a Minimote to trigger a "Goodnight" scene. The unit is attached to the bedpost with a Command strip. I don't need portability so I keep it plugged in to a USB power supply all the time. I removed the bidirectional "charge status" led because it was very bright in a dark room. While I had the unit cracked open I took out the battery as well since it no longer served any purpose.

Interesting. I thought of something similar. We have an Alexa Tap in the bedroom and I have my phone so I'm not always sure I would need another minimote but I use the one I have extensively in the main house in addition to an Echo.

I thought about the Panic buttons they have but really minimote offers the best value and most things you can do. Some simple lua code allows you really to control 8 things using short and long press on the minimote.

Offline Alex Waverley

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 06:25:20 pm »

Interesting. I thought of something similar. We have an Alexa Tap in the bedroom and I have my phone so I'm not always sure I would need another minimote but I use the one I have extensively in the main house in addition to an Echo.

I thought about the Panic buttons they have but really minimote offers the best value and most things you can do. Some simple lua code allows you really to control 8 things using short and long press on the minimote.

If you have your phone next to the bed  I would suggest that you install the ImperiHome App and be done with it. It is very customizable. You could create a screen with one bug button for "goodnight' and another for "panic". I use ImperiHome Pro to control automation, view cameras, and control audio on wall mounted laptops. I like it a lot.

Offline kigmatzomat

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 12:13:29 am »
Minimote have two advantages over a phone:

1. At night it doesn't wake your spouse
2. you can work a minimote by touch, one-handed, without fully waking up so you can go back to sleep

Offline Alex Waverley

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 10:34:11 am »
Minimote have two advantages over a phone:

1. At night it doesn't wake your spouse
2. you can work a minimote by touch, one-handed, without fully waking up so you can go back to sleep

Very true. I used a phone because I could also view the security cameras with it.  When I added a Matricom STB to the TV for viewing the cameras I modified the Minimote and stuck it behind the bedpost. One thing I noticed is that since I removed the battery it typically takes two presses to activate the scene. If that is an issue I suppose you could just remove the LED and leave the battery in place.  I just prefer not to have batteries in place for no reason.