Author Topic: Rinnai integration  (Read 583 times)

Offline gabe.wieskamp

Rinnai integration
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:02:00 am »
Has anyone attempted to integrate Vera with the Rinnai (Control-R) on-demand water heaters?

Offline tbully

Re: Rinnai integration
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:39:22 pm »
No, but I'd love to!  I know it's an RS-485 bus (or I believe it to be) but haven't taken the time to sniff it.

Subscribed!

Offline gabe.wieskamp

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 07:51:03 am »
Based on this link (https://www.rinnai.us/documentation/downloads/Rinnai_Control-R_Wi-Fi_Module_Installation_Manual_-_With_Pairing_Instructions.pdf), they are using ZigBee for remote control & sensors and then WiFi for remote monitoring/maintenance.  So  there may be multiple options for integration (ZigBee or Cloud-to-Cloud.  We are going to get a tankless Rinnai (or 2), but we need to select a water softener first.  Once I get the Control-R module, I'll start probing the capabilities then get an integration going.

Offline tbully

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:44:39 am »
Ah.  Gotcha.  My unit is a few years older.  I wonder if that can be retrofitted.   Thanks for the link.  I have two remote panels through the house that both run of the same pair of wires.  As far as I can tell, the heaters themselves haven't changed much (same model number, looks, etc)

Offline cb4

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:40:52 am »
I installed an RUR98i last year. Didn't know it did Zigbee. Gabe, I am interested to see what you find out.

Offline tbully

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:44:51 pm »
I just purchased this controller.  I may just have to use the standalone app but will give Zigbee a shot for the fun of it.

Will report back.....