Author Topic: Rinnai integration  (Read 1344 times)

Offline gabe.wieskamp

Rinnai integration
« on: May 03, 2017, 09:02:00 am »
Has anyone attempted to integrate Vera with the Rinnai (Control-R) on-demand water heaters?

Offline tbully

Re: Rinnai integration
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 05:39:22 pm »
No, but I'd love to!  I know it's an RS-485 bus (or I believe it to be) but haven't taken the time to sniff it.

Subscribed!

Offline gabe.wieskamp

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 07:51:03 am »
Based on this link (https://www.rinnai.us/documentation/downloads/Rinnai_Control-R_Wi-Fi_Module_Installation_Manual_-_With_Pairing_Instructions.pdf), they are using ZigBee for remote control & sensors and then WiFi for remote monitoring/maintenance.  So  there may be multiple options for integration (ZigBee or Cloud-to-Cloud.  We are going to get a tankless Rinnai (or 2), but we need to select a water softener first.  Once I get the Control-R module, I'll start probing the capabilities then get an integration going.

Offline tbully

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:44:39 am »
Ah.  Gotcha.  My unit is a few years older.  I wonder if that can be retrofitted.   Thanks for the link.  I have two remote panels through the house that both run of the same pair of wires.  As far as I can tell, the heaters themselves haven't changed much (same model number, looks, etc)

Offline cb4

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:40:52 am »
I installed an RUR98i last year. Didn't know it did Zigbee. Gabe, I am interested to see what you find out.

Offline tbully

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:44:51 pm »
I just purchased this controller.  I may just have to use the standalone app but will give Zigbee a shot for the fun of it.

Will report back.....

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 05:36:45 am »
G'day guys, did you have any luck tapping into the Zigbee interface?

Offline tbully

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 09:29:07 am »
I have the interface installed and working with the Rinnai app.  However, I've had zero luck getting it to work with Vera thus far.   :-(

It'd be really handy to have, though!

Offline Tillsy

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 06:36:39 pm »
Have you tried putting the Rinnai into wireless controller pairing mode and then doing a Zigbee add on the Vera?  The schematic for the Rinnai wireless controller clearly shows it is based upon Zigbee.

Though of course, device support with the Vera is hardly up there so compatibility no doubt would be a complete no go...