Author Topic: Looking for IP Camera recommendation  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Gadil

Looking for IP Camera recommendation
« on: May 05, 2017, 08:10:53 am »
Hi
I am looking for an IP Camera which works with Vera.
Since I had some bad experience with other Fibaro and Samsung smart TV stuff, I am looking for some specific information:
1. Wireless camera
2. Video and not only images can be seen through the Vera without the need to open another application.
3. Easy installation - no need for configuration with the support, changing parameters and other technical stuff (I am OK till a reasonable level with configuration)
4. The camera needs to have battery that it can be used other than an outlet plug

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advanced!
Gadi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Juppers

Re: Looking for IP Camera recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 09:38:22 am »
The only cameras vera supports are the ones they sell. Better to separate video from vera entirely since the options are so limited and use something like Blue Iris for video management.

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 11:55:44 am »
I agree with the last poster that your looking for something that doesn't exist or some toy.

Good security cameras are not wireless, do not run on batteries and do not work out of the box with vera.

I'm thinking your going to have to sacrifice on atleast one or more of your 4 requests.

Vera is also not made to be an IP camera viewer or dvr. Almost all IP camera will have their own app you can view from.

I use BlueIris myeself with Hikvision 4MP POE cameras. Altho I can view cameras in the same app the Blueiris App is what I use when I get a motion notification as it works much better and has more options. Two way audio and previous recordings incase the subject is out of frame by the time I get to the live video.

Offline Sorin M.

• Administrator
  • Master Member
    • getvera.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 02:25:44 pm »
Hello there,

If you wish full compatibility out of the box our two indoor cameras Vistacam 900 and 700, and the outdoor one Vistacam 1000, are basically checking almost all your check-boxes.

http://shop.getvera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VistaCam-700
https://shop.getvera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VistaCam-900
https://shop.getvera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VistaCam-1000

1. They are wireless with POE power for versatility (1000&900)
2. They have full motion HD video and audio feedback on web and mobile app via the built in mic.
3. With most network configurations should work out of the box without any support input, but if needed they are there to help.
4. They don't have a battery but they have single cable POE.(1000&900)

And if you need more than the basic camera option, you can opt-in for  Vera Sentinel http://getvera.com/services/verasentinel/  for some advanced camera management like Hot Zones, Cloud Storage, without any contract.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 02:28:15 pm by John M. »
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline echino

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 05:11:10 pm »
A question: what is the difference between Vistacam 1100 and 1101?

Also: if I install a Vistacam on my Vera Plus, is it possible to go back and review video recordings from the past, without paid subscription? If not, what is the best solution for an outdoor camera working with Vera Plus that has an ability to store recordings without subscription?

Offline integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 05:49:42 pm »
A question: what is the difference between Vistacam 1100 and 1101?

Also: if I install a Vistacam on my Vera Plus, is it possible to go back and review video recordings from the past, without paid subscription? If not, what is the best solution for an outdoor camera working with Vera Plus that has an ability to store recordings without subscription?

Where do you plan on storing the recordings? Storing data is not free. If it's in the cloud your going to pay someone a service charge for the cloud space. Some give a small amount of free data but not enough to store HD video for hours of the day or longer (week?). Plus your home upload (not download) speeds need to be great to try and stream HD video out to the cloud. If not a good camera will turn into choppy blurry recordings.

You next option is to find a camera with built in SD card or storage. This will solve you upload speed and get rid of a recurring storage cost.  But security is bad when all your video is stored on a camera mounted outside your house and easily accessible by a criminal would can steal the camera or pop the SD card out of it and footage is gone.

Amazon reviews on the 1100 are not so great. Actually non of the vistacams are. Probley read threw to see if any of them make sense.

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:36:39 am »
I had trouble with a Vistacam 700 that I bought directly from Vera a few months back. I tried browsing into the camera in order to access different set-up values, and the cab file that gets installed for Internet Explorer was missing a file required for H.264. That failed cab installation really hosed the camera inside the Vera web app and I don't know how to clean it up. I opened a ticket with support and was basically told to use a modern browser! So I escalated and eventually was sent a replacement camera. Guess what? Same problem! So right now I am not even using the camera that I spent almost $100 on.

I would be very reluctant to buy any model of Vistacam camera after my experience.