Author Topic: What's the status with IFTTT?  (Read 710 times)

Offline Thinkfire

What's the status with IFTTT?
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:59:09 pm »
I built a new home and was excited to upgrade my system and get new toys and reprogram stuff.

I went with the VeraPlus....

After getting a decent amount of things paired up....I started to realize it's limitation....no IFTTT, no Google Home...hell, in UI7 I can't even shut off the little blue LEDs on the GE dimmer switches like I could with UI5.

So I went with Wink Hub to help fill some of my needs.  Easy built in voice integration and configuration.  A breeze to get to work with Google Home via IFTTT, etc etc.

I started removing stuff from VeraPlus and adding them to Wink Hub instead...

I just have to say, I am hugely disappointed, and from reading the threads, it seems I am not the only one.   What happened to custom configurations/vairalbes in UI7?

Why no IFTTT support?  Which is pretty much a standard for all things IoT and more.    A simple ability to run scenes from IFTTT would probably make 99% of the people here on the boards happy  (if they haven't left yet).   

I guess I'm still holding onto hope, but I'm not optimistic.     

It seems I would need to resetup one of my old Vera controllers just to turn off the blue LEDs on the GE dimmer switches. 

The Wink plugin doesn't seem to update status very well either, which is just another reason to ditch Vera once Wink gets their WebUI released and running.

Sorry, I went on a rant.    I guess the fault lies on me for not researching first and getting an ST or something instead of upgrading to a newer Vera.

Offline Nameless

Re: What's the status with IFTTT?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:25:48 pm »
The lack of IFTTT or Yonami has me looking at alternatives, too. I did my research, but in the year I've had my Vera Plus, the competition seems to have caught up and ran away from Vera. I'd be satisfied if Vera worked with IFTTT to allow me to somewhat link it to non-compatible products, but no luck.

If my Amazon Echo and Dots weren't giving me more options, I'd give up on using Vera. Right now, that's my bridge to keep it all working. Alexa is supposed to be getting the ability to not only trigger, but accept IFTTT commands soon. I can only hope that allows a bit of a workaround with Vera. 

For now, I'll struggle through 4 drop offs a day from my wired z-wave devices, crash my system by trying some of the great plugins like VeraAlerts, and keep hoping I don't have to start over.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:36:14 am »
What happened to custom configurations/vairalbes in UI7?
Still there. You didn't look very hard and failed to Google.

Why no IFTTT support?  Which is pretty much a standard for all things IoT and more.    A simple ability to run scenes from IFTTT would probably make 99% of the people here on the boards happy  (if they haven't left yet).
I can't tell you why with authority. I can tell you that it doesn't look like it is going to happen and IFTTT fees are likely a contributing factor.

I guess I'm still holding onto hope, but I'm not optimistic.
Why are you hoping, you say that Wink is working well for you and providing the feature that you want. Stick with it.

It seems I would need to resetup one of my old Vera controllers just to turn off the blue LEDs on the GE dimmer switches.
Maybe you would. But there is no such Vera requirement.

Vera's definitely got its problems. The idea that Wink was a viable replacement seems laughable to me. But, if it works for you, that's all that matters. Stick with what works best for you.

Offline Thinkfire

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:09:43 am »
I have searched the forums and the method to configure the GE dinner switches is not available because the custom configurations and variables are not like that in UI5, at least not in the GUI.

But hey, I could just feel you that you failed to search the forums instead of providing links (which I will in the next post).

Why am I hoping?  I believe in loyalty, I've been with Vera for 7? years.  I've installed it in other homes for friends and family (as a hobby). 

I built another home and was so excited to take this opportunity to rebuild my network, use a newer controller, etc... But that excitement fell short very quickly with the UI7 issues I kept running into.

IFTTT...I don't know how the fee structure works but I do know that nearly EVERY DEVICE that I use that has remote control has IFTTT support.  Hell, even my Comcast Cable boxes have IFTTT support.  My Oticon hearing aids even have IFTTT support. I'm finding all kinds of crazy stuff that I own that have support that I wouldn't expect to have support of IFTTT.   Things you wouldn't expect to have it... Do... But then Vera....  The brain of my IoT stuff... Can't be bothered to have the support. 

It's just mind boggling.

And then you have people saying their goodbyes and expressing disappointment an the only responses offered to them are things along the lines of "that competitor is more expensive".  "Just put in a ticket (so we make it look like here on the forums that we are helping you)". "the other system is working, why are you still here?".   "You didn't look hard enough". Etc etc

Rather than take the criticism to heart and work off it.  They used to do that years ago.

Maybe it's the users of the forum?  All the good ones up and left, leaving the community with fewer and fewer useful helpers on the forums?   They don't even make officiant posts anymore about their direction, what's in the works, etc.

I was excited to use their service as my security system too, but with the nightmares of VeraPlus.... Heck no... Sadly I'm looking into ADT.  It works, I can trust it.  What I can I say.  Vera I cannot trust.

Offline Thinkfire

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:25:42 am »
As far as Wink goes, if it wasn't for IFTTT support, it wouldn't do most of what I need it to do.  I'm still building out the devices in my new new home and havent gotten to anything complex yet.  About 40 or so with intentions of adding much more.  I moved from a 2600sq ft home to a 4800 SQ ft home, so there's a lot of fun to be had.  I very well may go to Homeseer.  I guess we'll see.

Offline Thinkfire

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:56:23 am »
Like the OP I find the blue LED distracting.  I wish there were a way to dim the LED but in the absence of that option the ability to reverse the LED?€™s on/off functionality is an ok substitute.

The instructions to have the LED off when the lights are off and on when the lights are on have been covered above but I?€™d like to repeat them here with slightly more detail for people new to MiOS.

1. On the MiOS dashboard click the wrench in the top right corner of the GE dimmer device you?€™d like to alter.
2. Select the ?€œDevice Options?€ tab
3. Click the ?€œAdd configuration settings?€ button

Three new fields will pop up along with an ?€œX?€ delete button.  The fields from left to right are ?€œVariable?€, ?€œData Size?€, and ?€œDesired Value?€.

4. In the ?€œVariable?€ field put a ?€œ3?€.
5. The ?€œData Size?€ field is a drop down list, click it and change it to ?€œ1 byte hex?€/
6. In the ?€œDesired Value?€ field put a ?€œ1?€.
7. Close the settings for the device by clicking the ?€œX?€ in the top right (the ?€œX?€ to the right of the trashcan and question mark icons, not the ?€œX?€ to delete the Configuration you just created).
8. Click ?€œSave?€ in the top right of the MiOS dashboard.

Give the GE dimmer about 30 seconds and the blue LED will now be off if the lights are off and on if the lights are on.

-berylium

This was the best explanation for UI5.  I understand  (or I thought I did) that in UI7 you can add device values through new services.    Tried multiple combinations of the values, etc.  No work.

There is nothing in that New Services area that pertains to "data size"....maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot?

"Smart Home.  Made easy"  ...

Is that still the direction Vera wants  or are they aiming for Smart Home, "easy" if you have lots of time and can search forums/google, etc"

And I can't even delete all the trial and error variables I created trying to get this to work.

Offline Juppers

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 01:12:40 pm »
You can add device parameters exactly as you described. Instead of clicking on the wrench, you click on the > next to the device then scroll down to device options. From there, continue as you pasted.

Offline Juppers

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 01:15:53 pm »
Why would you want IFTTT on Vera? With Vera all your devices/scenes are completely local so cloud/internet/vendor failures don't affect your home automation.

Offline Thinkfire

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 01:39:30 pm »
You can add device parameters exactly as you described. Instead of clicking on the wrench, you click on the > next to the device then scroll down to device options. From there, continue as you pasted.

Yes I am aware.  As I stated on my post the fields are different.  The us no "data size" field and the terminology is different.

Offline Thinkfire

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:11 pm »
Why would you want IFTTT on Vera? With Vera all your devices/scenes are completely local so cloud/internet/vendor failures don't affect your home automation.

The are many devices/software Vera does not support.

The main use would be to trigger scenes.  My wifi window unit AC could trigger a scene.   My hearing aids could trigger a scene.  Google Home (this is a big one) could trigger a scene. My washer/dryer could trigger a scene.   My HVAC could trigger a scene, Etc etc.  It's just so well supported that it bridges a lot of gaps.

My HVAC can be done locally since I have Ecobee3 running it.  But my ac window unit is not supported, but with IFTTT, I could bring it into the mix. 

You get the idea.

Offline Z-Waver

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 04:03:20 pm »
I have searched the forums and the method to configure the GE dinner switches is not available because the custom configurations and variables are not like that in UI5, at least not in the GUI.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vera+ui7+parameters

But hey, I could just feel you that you failed to search the forums instead of providing links (which I will in the next post).
Are you saying that I am required to provide links to satisfy your inadequacies? That doesn't sound like a reasonable expectation, so I'm going to assume I misunderstand this statement due to apparent typos. .

Anyway, the very first link from the previous search explains how to set parameters in UI7 and even includes pictures for the textually impaired. http://www.vesternet.com/resources/application-notes/apnt-102

Edit: Removed duplicate word 'to'.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:05:34 pm by Z-Waver »